Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with Heather winning - like striing says, she produced the best dress in the final. Yes she played it safe throughout but had presumably decided to concentrate on getting the tailoring right, which turned out to be a winning strategy. And I found her very likeable, she didn't seem to flap or get ratty under pressure.

I say 'seem' because you never know how the footage is going to be edited. I felt a bit sorry for Tamara because if there was a shot of someone crying or something, it'd be followed by a shot of Tamara looking pleased with herself. The two shots might have been filmed hours apart, but put them together and you've got a 'villain' to keep the viewers' interest. Judging by some of the comments on here, it seems to have done the trick :(

Anyway back to the final... for me Chinelo's dress would have been lovely if it wasn't for that hideous fishtail, which the judges politely called "overwhelming". An unflattering style imo. But they didn't judge on style too much, which was probably fair, it's not a design competition after all.

My biggest beef about the final was, after all these weeks, we didn't actually get to see the final dresses! What was the director/camera team thinking? I don't think we saw the dresses full-on once - never mind from different angles, or how they looked when the models walked. I was looking forward to seeing my licence-fee's worth of Heather's miles of flowing silk. Or whether Chinelo's model would rise up like a hovercraft. And what the hell Tamara's dress actually was. But we just got the usual close-ups. Harrumph!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    My biggest beef about the final was, after all these weeks, we didn't actually get to see the final dresses! What was the director/camera team thinking? I don't think we saw the dresses full-on once - never mind from different angles, or how they looked when the models walked. I was looking forward to seeing my licence-fee's worth of Heather's miles of flowing silk. Or whether Chinelo's model would rise up like a hovercraft. And what the hell Tamara's dress actually was. But we just got the usual close-ups. Harrumph!
    Yes we did. From 46 minutes onwards n IPlayer you can see the models walk into the studio and then stood still. We got full length, close ups and detail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally watched the final last night. Wondered if Chinelo would have won had her dress been differently bottomed. I didn't like the fishtail, it was too much and detracted from the beautiful detail up top.

I was happy with either Chinelo or Heather winning, so no complaints to me. For me Tamara couldn't win from the moment she started to glue the flowers on while Chinelo was painstakingly stitching on flowers.

I kind of feel utterly devvoed that it's finished now though. It was so relaxing and chilled out and lovely to watch.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm missing this too.

As previously mentioned, 'The Big Allotment Challenge' takes the same slot today, and I will be watching.

As for other 'crafts', I came across a little gem last night on More 4. 'Real Craft' with Monty Don.

''Across the country thousandsof people dream of escaping the stresses of modern life and turning to the crafts of the past. This new breed of gifted amateurs take old traditions and skills and reinvent them. ''

Last night was about blacksmithing, and next week it's wood! I really enjoyed it.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I'm missing this too.

As previously mentioned, 'The Big Allotment Challenge' takes the same slot today, and I will be watching.

As for other 'crafts', I came across a little gem last night on More 4. 'Real Craft' with Monty Don.

''Across the country thousandsof people dream of escaping the stresses of modern life and turning to the crafts of the past. This new breed of gifted amateurs take old traditions and skills and reinvent them. ''

Last night was about blacksmithing, and next week it's wood! I really enjoyed it.

That sounds interesting I shall check it out - I'll see if it's on 'catch up' of any kind. I like Monty Don too.
    I'm missing TGBSB too - _ wish it was on twice a year!
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    That sounds interesting I shall check it out - I'll see if it's on 'catch up' of any kind. I like Monty Don too.
    I'm missing TGBSB too - _ wish it was on twice a year!
    Monty Don did a similar series in the autumn of 2012 called Mastercrafts. No competitive element but keen amateurs learning traditional crafts such as blacksmithing. Very interesting and sounds like this will be similar.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to watch The Great Allotment Challenge.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Monty Don did a similar series in the autumn of 2012 called Mastercrafts. No competitive element but keen amateurs learning traditional crafts such as blacksmithing. Very interesting and sounds like this will be similar.

Yes, I saw that too, and enjoyed it. (Yes it is similar!)

Yes Beethovenspiano; got it on now!
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to watch The Great Allotment Challenge.?

I am!

Looking for a thread.......:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I am!

Looking for a thread.......:confused:

In TV Shows 'reality'
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1956279
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we did. From 46 minutes onwards n IPlayer you can see the models walk into the studio and then stood still. We got full length, close ups and detail.
    I sit corrected :)
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see there is going to be a Children In Need Sewing Bee. Next Tuesday at 8pm. Looking forward to it.

"The A-line skirt pattern challenge proves to almost be the undoing of chef and Hairy Biker Dave Myers as he creates more of a hip than a waistband, DJ and radio presenter Edith Bowman transforms a gaudy Hawaiian shirt into a child's garment even Patrick Grant would wear, Embarrassing Bodies' Dr Dawn Harper proves she can sew with surgical precision across the challenges, despite her shaking hands and Wendi Peters puts her upholstery sewing skills to the test on a 1950s recreation dress made against the clock."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I didn't know about that, I shall definitely look out for it. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know when the next series...fingers crossed there will be one....is due to start?
    Forum Member
    Hope they'll be a Christmas special with this year's contestants as there was last year.

Next series should start in March 2015.
  • Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope they'll be a Christmas special with this year's contestants as there was last year.

Next series should start in March 2015.

Thanks for the info Janet, quite a wait then.
    Forum Member
    Reminder: Children in Need celebrity Sewing Bee, next Tuesday 8 pm.

Someone post a reminder on Monday, please, if not several times before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw an advert for it earlier today and it looks like they have a new presenter - not Claudia. Sorry don't know her naame but recognise her face, blond 30's(?) I think she might be from radio one.
    Forum Member
    There are three episodes all starting at 8 pm.

Tuesday 21st October. Hosted by Jenny Eclair, with contestants DJ Edith Bowman, Hairy Bikers star Dave Myers, Coronation Street actress Wendi Peters, and Embarrassing Bodies' Dr Dawn Harper.

Thursday 23rd Sarah Cox with contestants Louie Spence, stand-up Mark Watson, TV presenter Gaby Roslin and actress Pam Ferris.

Friday 24th Anita Rani hosting with contestants Radio 1's Gemma Cairney, comedian Helen Lederer, author Kathryn Flett, and Overtones singer Timmy Matley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are three episodes all starting at 8 pm.

Tuesday 21st October. Hosted by Jenny Eclair, with contestants DJ Edith Bowman, Hairy Bikers star Dave Myers, Coronation Street actress Wendi Peters, and Embarrassing Bodies' Dr Dawn Harper.

Thursday 23rd Sarah Cox with contestants Louie Spence, stand-up Mark Watson, TV presenter Gaby Roslin and actress Pam Ferris.

Friday 24th Anita Rani hosting with contestants Radio 1's Gemma Cairney, comedian Helen Lederer, author Kathryn Flett, and Overtones singer Timmy Matley.

Thanks - it was Sarah Cox I saw then. I shall miss Claudia though.
    A few I don't know, unfortunately I do know who Louie Spence is! I would skip that one if were not for Pam Ferris - be nice to see her as herself.
    Plenty to look forward to next week.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    unfortunately I do know who Louie Spence is!

Unfortunately I've seen him on the odd panel show. What a pain in the backside he is! What on earth is he famous for? He's awful. Anyway I will still watch the programme. I haven't a clue who is on any of them, but I just enjoy the Sewing Bee so will watch just because of the programme itself. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you might imagine in the advert for the programme - a couple of minutes long- he managed to make it all about him. Flamboyant dance moves in front of all the others, ending in the splits! Hey Ho, I shall watch it anyway and hope he disappears first. I am curious to know how they will do it, whether they will pick a 'winner' from each show or have an overall winner.
  • SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Sewing Bee but I'm really dreading the celebrity version. I enjoy the Bee because I like watching nice normal people who are passionate about their hobby. The celebrity version will be people who don't know the first thing about sewing attempting to get screen time as the sew zippers in backwards. Oh what fun.

I hope I'm wrong, and I will tune in just in case I am, but I am not optimistic.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Suze wrote: »
    I love the Sewing Bee but I'm really dreading the celebrity version. I enjoy the Bee because I like watching nice normal people who are passionate about their hobby. The celebrity version will be people who don't know the first thing about sewing attempting to get screen time as the sew zippers in backwards. Oh what fun.

I hope I'm wrong, and I will tune in just in case I am, but I am not optimistic.

You're probably right to be honest. Mind you there might be the odd person on there who really does enjoy sewing so it might not be all bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    You're probably right to be honest. Mind you there might be the odd person on there who really does enjoy sewing so it might not be all bad.

Well, I hope so.
    Although I didn't get into GBBOff until after I'd seen a celebrity version.

Sewing Bee is one of my favourite progs, but I somehow managed to miss the Christmas special. Was it any good?