Sky fibre - is this slow?

Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
Forum Member
✭✭
We got Sky Fibre activated today and the router is showing the following speeds which I'm pleased about (well I think I should be):

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9995
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39998

But after running speedtest.net all night I'm only getting around 12Mbps download, while the upload is around 9Mbps which is great. Am I correct in saying our download speeds seem rather slow for the speed were connected at or am I reading the results wrong?

Comments

• MaccaMacca Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    We got Sky Fibre activated today and the router is showing the following speeds which I'm pleased about (well I think I should be):

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9995
    Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39998

But after running speedtest.net all night I'm only getting around 12Mbps download, while the upload is around 9Mbps which is great. Am I correct in saying our download speeds seem rather slow for the speed were connected at or am I reading the results wrong?
    Is that with a wireless or wired connection?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Is that with a wireless or wired connection?

Ah, it's wired but using a powerline adaptor. Never thought that could be a bottleneck, will try connecting directly to the router and running the tests again.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems my powerline adapters were in some part to blame.

I'm now getting around 15Mbps using the adapters, and connected directly to the router I'm getting around 30Mbps. But I suspect I was testing at peak time which also had an affect, will have to try again tomorrow at peak time directly to the router to compare.

Now considering I'm connected at almost 40Mb, shouldn't I be getting closer to that then 30Mbps?
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    It seems my powerline adapters were in some part to blame.

I'm now getting around 15Mbps using the adapters, and connected directly to the router I'm getting around 30Mbps. But I suspect I was testing at peak time which also had an affect, will have to try again tomorrow at peak time directly to the router to compare.

Now considering I'm connected at almost 40Mb, shouldn't I be getting closer to that then 30Mbps?

FTTC has DLM on it by default your speed will likely go up and down over the next 10 days or so while the cabinet finds the best stable profile for your line.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    FTTC has DLM on it by default your speed will likely go up and down over the next 10 days or so while the cabinet finds the best stable profile for your line.
    DLM on fibre takes, at most, 3 days to stabilise the line not the 10 days that is the norm for ADSL. Usually it done within 48 hours of the line going active.
  • RaxielRaxiel Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    DLM on fibre takes, at most, 3 days to stabilise the line not the 10 days that is the norm for ADSL. Usually it done within 48 hours of the line going active.

It settles down quick, but unlike ordinary ADSL it never ends, so you always have to be carefull you don't unplug it too often (although i've moved equipment round a few times and the sync has never dropped from 39998/9995)

30mb hardwired is a little on the low side, you should reasonably be getting 37.5-38 with that sync. You need to make sure you don't have anything else using the connection at the time (windows updates, phone connected on wifi etc. for example).

I reciently had a similar experience, I was only getting about 12-15mb after moving my PC to a spare bedroom, and the fault was with the '200mb' homeplugs. Argos have a set of '500mb' TPlink plugs on offer for £30 (or you can try Amazon which have the same model at £25 I think) at the moment and they were able to eliminate the bottle neck.