What a load of old boring tosh.

Comments

• GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I nodded off after about 20 minutes and never woke up till midnight. :D
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange! We both enjoyed it very much. My husband even went as far as commenting on that fact which is something he rarely does. Oh well, each to his own!
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I missed the start, had planned to record it, but once I'd put it on I was mesmerised. Partly due to Eddie Redmayne it's true, he is so lovely, but mainly because it was brilliant. I'll need to watch the rest on iplayer.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the start, had planned to record it, but once I'd put it on I was mesmerised. Partly due to Eddie Redmayne it's true, he is so lovely, but mainly because it was brilliant. I'll need to watch the rest on iplayer.

I agree, I don't usually like him but he was terrific in this. I was also half tempted to find Michelle Williams even more beautiful than the original MM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up on it as it just didn't seem to 'grip' me but I will probably give it another go this weekend..... KB as Olivier kept me thinking he was Noel Coward....... Maybe I wasn't in the mood?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good and Michelle Williams portrayed Marilyn Monroe well, I was reading that she was reluctant to take on the role. Not sure what people expected of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it when it came out at cinema and quite enjoyed it. I spotted a glaring spelling mistake on a sign outside a pub in the film advertising "accomodation ." That irritated me.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on it as it just didn't seem to 'grip' me but I will probably give it another go this weekend..... KB as Olivier kept me thinking he was Noel Coward....... Maybe I wasn't in the mood?

My OH wouldn't accept that (a) it was KB and (b) that he was playing Olivier not Coward, I gave up arguing my case, left him to it and I went to bed ! :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I saw it when it came out at cinema and quite enjoyed it. I spotted a glaring spelling mistake on a sign outside a pub in the film advertising "accomodation ." That irritated me.

Perhaps that made it more realistic as it is a very common mistake!
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was such a sweet story of friendship and belief in the fun times among the wavering times.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, and I thought Michelle Williams was very good as Marilyn.

But it didn't feel as though it was a proper cinematic film. It felt more like one of those docudrama things which BBC 4 occasionally make about well known British celebrities.

I did like it a lot though, and I did find it quite touching.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, and I thought Michelle Williams was very good as Marilyn.

But it didn't feel as though it was a proper cinematic film. It felt more like one of those docudrama things which BBC 4 occasionally make about well known British celebrities.

I did like it a lot though, and I did find it quite touching.

These were my thoughts exactly when I saw the film a couple of years ago.

I'm surprised a film like this can attract some of the levels of venom as demonstrated in this thread.
  • rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    What a load of old boring tosh.

Yes, very remiss of them not to include a car chase, gun fight and loads of CGI. Don't they realise people today aren't interested in scripts or acting? I demand a refund of my 39p share of licence fee for yesterday!

Can I also have free beer and only programmes I like on TV?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rmc57 wrote: »
    Yes, very remiss of them not to include a car chase, gun fight and loads of CGI.

Quite! It's as though too many people can't appreciate something a bit more gentle than the usual fair. Now, some of my favourite programmes include things like Game of Thrones and Line of Duty so I love a good bit of action but gentler shows and films can be just as satisfying to watch in their own right. I fear people have been conditioned to want only CGI action packed drivel which requires minimal thought while watching, which is very sad if so.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a film, not a TV show.
  • katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An almost impossible thing to catch the essence of Marilyn Monroe but Michelle made a pretty good attempt
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Williams is a fine actress and has come a long way since her days in "Dawson's Creek."

However, I gave this a miss, as so much was crammed into the "promo" I suspected it wouldn't be that good. From comments on here, it looks as if I made the right decision.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't, Doghouse. It was a great film - see my comments about my husband liking it!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    You didn't, Doghouse. It was a great film - see my comments about my husband liking it!

Hmm..

That's pretty much a question of subjective perception.
    I'm glad he liked it, nothing worse than spending an hour of your life watching something and then feeling disappointed with it, at its conclusion.
    But I've no regrets. It's not as if every aspect of Marilyn's life hasn't been "done to death" in programmes and books over the years.