Options

Give up "Give it up"

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
Deleted......mucked up.....I give up on Give it up!

Comments

• Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's any consolation, I hate it too. It sounds affected and stupid. What exactly am I supposed to give up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL....sorry, i made a post then accidentally deleted it and couldn't be mithered to go through it all again!

It just grinds my nerves when the presenters babble this nonsensical pseudo Yankee jargon of "give it up for....". Once or twice i can just about bear, but it's every other damn sentence!

What's wrong with "please welcome" or "please put your hands together for....". Or is that too British? Oh......wait a minute, we are British and this is being shown on British television.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma threw in a couple of "put your hands together..." But Marvdim is incapable of expanding a VERY limited presenting style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's any consolation, I hate it too. It sounds affected and stupid. What exactly am I supposed to give up?

I was wondering what they expect me to give up too! A kidney perhaps? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    LOL....sorry, i made a post then accidentally deleted it and couldn't be mithered to go through it all again!

It just grinds my nerves when the presenters babble this nonsensical pseudo Yankee jargon of "give it up for....". Once or twice i can just about bear, but it's every other damn sentence!

What's wrong with "please welcome" or "please put your hands together for....". Or is that too British? Oh......wait a minute, we are British and this is being shown on British television.

They probably think we'd slip immediately back into the Dark Ages if anyone said "a round of applause for..."
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Is there any need for Marvin really ?
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None at all as far as I can see. Emma could do the whole thing herself. Maybe he fulfils some obscure BBC quota number :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    They probably think we'd slip immediately back into the Dark Ages if anyone said "a round of applause for..."
    I'm just trying to imagine Bruce Forsyth shout to the crowd in Dancing on Ice "give it up for...". No.......thankfully he would spare us the embarrassment.

I just don't get why we need to have this childish hip hop babble like some gangster (or is it gangsta?) off the back streets of Harlem.

Are they on drugs? :confused:
  • Options
    alexdn32alexdn32 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Why is it that after reading this thread I can't get KC and the Sunshine Band's hit single "(Baby) Give it up!".

Unless that is what I have to "Give up?"
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all. No personality to speak of, yet no doubt getting a tidy sum for doing very little.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he has a mainly pastoral role backstage. To be fair to him, while he doesn't leap to mind as one of the reasons to watch the show, he has a nice energy with the jittery contestants
  • Options
    babyeggbabyegg Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Along with 'give it up', I also cannot stand 'bring it'. What am I meant to be bringing and where do I bring it to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    babyegg wrote: »
    Along with 'give it up', I also cannot stand 'bring it'. What am I meant to be bringing and where do I bring it to?
    It's a curious 'americanism'. They use it in chat rooms where many are from the US and they ask peculiar questions such as "what brings you here". I always say i arrived by bus but they don't share the same sense of humour as British and cannot understand how stupid their questions are.

Another often used one is "what are you doing"......as if you can't possibly be at a pc keyboard! :confused:
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate hate hate Give it up, it makes no sense and makes my hackles go up. I can't hear it without seething!
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    babyegg wrote: »

And also if you "give it up" then you have nothing left to "bring"!

Bloody silly Americanisms!
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Not at all. No personality to speak of, yet no doubt getting a tidy sum for doing very little.
    I much prefer him to screechy loud Emma