Options

Openreach upgrading BT network will I get Sky Fibre?

halewoodhalewood Posts: 602
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed that my local exchange (Netherley/Liverpool) is upgrading to fast fibre - there's vans all over the place pulling cables.
I am currently a Sky Broadband subscriber and was wondering if Sky will be offered fibre too or is the upgrade just for BT customers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the exchange that is being upgraded to fibre services so will be available to any ISP to decides to offer it on that exchange.

sky usually need to install their own equipment in the exchange to start offering fibre, so if and when the exchange goes live it may be a little later before sky offer it.
  • Options
    halewoodhalewood Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    if and when the exchange goes live it may be a little later before sky offer it.

Thanks Chenks, I've been in touch with Sky (maybe I ought to have done that in the first place) and they've told me I can upgrade to fibre and it will increase my speed by approx x10 - I'm very happy as my speeds are around 2-3meg.

They said it's only been available for a few days and i was one of the first customers to switch to fibre on our exchange. Only thing is - it will take a couple of weeks before it's activated.

Thanks again Chenks
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    halewood wrote: »
    I've noticed that my local exchange (Netherley/Liverpool) is upgrading to fast fibre - there's vans all over the place pulling cables.
    I am currently a Sky Broadband subscriber and was wondering if Sky will be offered fibre too or is the upgrade just for BT customers?

Thanks in advance

Not allowed by the regulations. Openreach may be a BT company but they have to allow all operators equal access to the network.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/aboutus/aboutus.do?