Did a full retune today

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
Forum Member
I retuned my TV today for the first time in ages to add new channels (eg Movies4Men), and noticed a few things, I had some new network names come up when selecting channels for the best signal quality instead of just London. Although I chose London in the end as I usually do, it also listed 'Cambridge and Bedfordshire' and within the London network, you could choose 'Greater London' or 'London'.
The signal strength on London Live is terrible (but Quality is 100%) :confused: And now I've got an 800 channel but its not even there (on the Cambridge network apparently), no picture/signal at all...

Comments

• N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I retuned my TV today for the first time in ages to add new channels (eg Movies4Men), and noticed a few things, I had some new network names come up when selecting channels for the best signal quality instead of just London. Although I chose London in the end as I usually do, it also listed 'Cambridge and Bedfordshire' and within the London network, you could choose 'Greater London' or 'London'.
    The signal strength on London Live is terrible (but Quality is 100%) :confused: And now I've got an 800 channel but its not even there (on the Cambridge network apparently), no picture/signal at all...

At which transmitter does your aerial point ?
    I suggest you find out the frequency channels for that transmittter. Then uplug the aerial and do a full retune. Then manually tune to the frequency channels for your transmitter.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    My most likely transmitter is Crystal Palace according to Digital UK (I'm in St. Albans) :)

When I did a full retune it always seemed to tune for all transmitters (?) (thats why it found/duplicated channels with poor quality), how exactly do I manually retune for CP?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My most likely transmitter is Crystal Palace according to Digital UK (I'm in St. Albans) :)

When I did a full retune it always seemed to tune for all transmitters (?) (thats why it found/duplicated channels with poor quality), how exactly do I manually retune for CP?

By running a manual tune, one by one, on UHF Chs 22,23,25,26,28,29

If your receiver is DVB-T2 (aka Freeview HD) then add Chs 30 and 33 to that list
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I did for each one (Manual Tuning including 30 and 33) and it just said "No new channels stored"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I did for each one (Manual Tuning including 30 and 33) and it just said "No new channels stored"

Well, to clear out all the gunk, you need to perform a reset first, to empty out the channel store memory
    Forum Member
    Ah OK, I'll do Auto Setup I guess. Thank you :)
    EDIT: Cambridgeshire seems to have disappeared as an option when checking for the best signal, its gone back to how it was before now.
  • NorthPoleNorthPole Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I also live in St. Albans, grimtales1; and as well as Crystal Palace there is a possibility of picking up signals from the small local relay at the top of Bluehouse Hill in Verulamium Park, the large relay at Pimlico outside Hemel Hempstead (although both these relays transmit with vertical polarisation), as well as Sandy Heath (East Anglia). Hence manual tuning as advised by Mark C is advisable to get the best from Crystal Palace, unless you are in one of the areas of St. Albans that actually get stronger signals from one of the relays.
    Forum Member
    Thank you :)
    Which order do I do it in (sorry I'm being really thick) :blush: I just did a 'full retune' a while ago. I tuned in all the channels that should be on CP, but the thing is when I selected the channel/frequency available (in Manual Tuning) as well as C23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30 and 33 I'm also getting signal on Channel 41, 44 and even up to 50 (but its poor). I didnt search for anything on the higher channels though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you :)
    Which order do I do it in (sorry I'm being really thick) :blush: I just did a 'full retune' a while ago. I tuned in all the channels that should be on CP, but the thing is when I selected the channel/frequency available (in Manual Tuning) as well as C23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30 and 33 I'm also getting signal on Channel 41, 44 and even up to 50 (but its poor). I didnt search for anything on the higher channels though.

41,44 and 50 are other transmitters, do not scan on them.

It doesn't matter which order you run the manual scans, but you will need to run a separate scan on each of the UHF channel numbers mentioned. Don't let the receiver 'see' 21, 24, 27 these are Sandy Heath, the 'Cambs and Beds' transmitter
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also getting signal on Channel 41, 44 and even up to 50 (but its poor)
    These look like three of the channels used by Hemel Hempstead. It also uses 55 and 59 for SD and 47 for HD.

The Hemel Hempstead transmitter is located near the M1/M25 junction here and uses vertical polarisation.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    41,44 and 50 are other transmitters, do not scan on them.

It doesn't matter which order you run the manual scans, but you will need to run a separate scan on each of the UHF channel numbers mentioned. Don't let the receiver 'see' 21, 24, 27 these are Sandy Heath, the 'Cambs and Beds' transmitter

Indeeed: for most receivers, the manual tuning can be done in any order.
    For some equipment without the tick, it is necessary to tune in ascending order of LCN ( i.e.1= BBC1, 3= ITV1, etc. ), to avoid wrong LCNs.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help guys :)
    I scanned on: C22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30 and 33 but not the other transmitters/channel numbers to make sure I get the best signal from CP, and I think everything's OK now :) In fact the signal may even have improved slightly (Quality is always 100% except on 1 or 2 HD channels like BBC4 HD/Al Jazzera I think, but still high). Signal Strength is 60-70% most of the time :)