Take That vs. Westlife

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    You know out of the 19 singles that Westlife have released, from what I can see and know, 5 of them are covers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But out of those 19 singles how many of them did they write?
  • Gaz.BazGaz.Baz Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can see 8 including their new one

they are pure crap
    Forum Member
    But out of those 19 singles how many of them did they write?

It doesn't matter if they wrote them or not. Most of you here are complaining that they sing covers. Also, they have wrote and co-wrote many songs. Alot of which are on their albums excluding Allow Us to be Frank nd The Love Album. Just because the non-fans don't here the songs doesn't mean they haven't got them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I just think too much of their music sounds all the same just with different lyrics.....i used to be a fan but then it came to a stage where you could practically predit the sound of their next song coz it all sounded the same............
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a fan of Take That and then they left me lol - so I went on to Westlife, now TT are back I'm torn, but I still think TT were the best boyband ever..........but

I hate all the Westlife dissin, most boybands get help writing their own songs so it's not like doing covers should be a big deal and they are still the hottest looking band around at the moment, much better than Mcfly or even TT now(sorry guys your a bit old !!)
    Forum Member
    ashley85 wrote:
    I was a fan of Take That and then they left me lol - so I went on to Westlife, now TT are back I'm torn, but I still think TT were the best boyband ever..........but

I hate all the Westlife dissin, most boybands get help writing their own songs so it's not like doing covers should be a big deal and they are still the hottest looking band around at the moment, much better than Mcfly or even TT now(sorry guys your a bit old !!)

They might be older......but they sure produce better stuff and can excite a crowd 10 times better than westlife can....... :)
  • Hey Mr DJHey Mr DJ Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Can't even believe there is a thread on this.

Take That.
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to the new album and it's brilliant. Well in my opinion anyway. I hadn't heard of a lot of the songs on it till I heard them. My faves at the mo are The Rose, Total Eclipse of the Heart, The Dance and Love can build a bridge. Although they are the only ones I had heard of before this :o

The duet with Delta Goodrum is good too though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie_05 wrote:
    It doesn't matter if they wrote them or not. Most of you here are complaining that they sing covers. Also, they have wrote and co-wrote many songs. Alot of which are on their albums excluding Allow Us to be Frank nd The Love Album. Just because the non-fans don't here the songs doesn't mean they haven't got them.

Of course it matters. In simple terms, if they don't write, they ain't creative and the whole force out of Westlife from Record company downwards just wants to take your money whilst they pick another song out the karaoke book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !
    ! !

take that are easiley the better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie_05 wrote:
    I've been listening to the new album and it's brilliant. Well in my opinion anyway. I hadn't heard of a lot of the songs on it till I heard them. My faves at the mo are The Rose, Total Eclipse of the Heart, The Dance and Love can build a bridge. Although they are the only ones I had heard of before this :o

The duet with Delta Goodrum is good too though.

Although Katie i seem to always agree with everything you say :) im going to disagree with you on this one. Just listened to the album and hate it. Theres just no emotion in any of the songs (compared to the originals).
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There both sh*t.
  • Gaz.BazGaz.Baz Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote:
    There both sh*t.

says the minority
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    russnet wrote:
    Of course it matters. In simple terms, if they don't write, they ain't creative and the whole force out of Westlife from Record company downwards just wants to take your money whilst they pick another song out the karaoke book.

The point of westlife is that they're fun, their music is easy to listen to, it's not meant to be life changing but they're handsome and funny in interviews and just a nice pretty distraction from life some times.

Have you never liked a pop star for the whole package they are rather than just their song writing ability. Like occasionally don't you prefer Kylie or Girls Aloud over Bob Dylan........... ?
  • Charisma2Charisma2 Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashley85 wrote:
    The point of westlife is that they're fun, their music is easy to listen to, it's not meant to be life changing but they're handsome and funny in interviews and just a nice pretty distraction from life some times.

Have you never liked a pop star for the whole package they are rather than just their song writing ability. Like occasionally don't you prefer Kylie or Girls Aloud over Bob Dylan........... ?

I agree with you Ashley. To me the point of music is to get enjoyment from listening to it. It's not about whether Westlife can write their own songs. It's about how many people enjoy listening to them. And that seems to be quite a lot or they wouldn't have been as successful as they have been.
    Forum Member
    They are good and succesful singers but all i'm saying is if your an artist your music shouldn't become so predictable that you know its gonna be another low tempo love song and whatever anyone says thats majoritaly what they do..........
  • May BlossomMay Blossom Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No question - Take That. I was not a particular fan in 90's but there is no question that they are the best at what they do. Westlife continue to astound me. For the vast majority of acts even if they are not to my musical taste I can understand what others 'get' about them but with Westlife I just fail to understand their popularity.

What is this with boybands anyway at the minute. It seems everywhere I look a new or reformed boy / man band is being launched. Is there really a demand out there?? Upper Street (or something like that) & 365!!

MB
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No question - Take That. I was not a particular fan in 90's but there is no question that they are the best at what they do. Westlife continue to astound me. For the vast majority of acts even if they are not to my musical taste I can understand what others 'get' about them but with Westlife I just fail to understand their popularity.
    MB

MB, I agree with every word.

To me Westlife have always been the musical equivalent of magnolia paint.
  • Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely TT!! I've loved them since 1992 so its no contest for me!!

Westlife only seem to be capable of ballads or cover versions now which imo is boring :rolleyes:
  • BeatleGodBeatleGod Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaz.Baz wrote:
    says the minority

I think a fair few people would say Take That and Westlife are musical embarrassments. More than those who BUY their stuff.
  • BeatleGodBeatleGod Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charisma2 wrote:
    I agree with you Ashley. To me the point of music is to get enjoyment from listening to it. It's not about whether Westlife can write their own songs. It's about how many people enjoy listening to them. And that seems to be quite a lot or they wouldn't have been as successful as they have been.

Their success has been superficial though, and their fanbase wouldn't have heard of real artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote:
    MB, I agree with every word.

To me Westlife have always been the musical equivalent of magnolia paint.

Soooo true, bland and no originality.

Its take that for me every time.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is this with boybands anyway at the minute. It seems everywhere I look a new or reformed boy / man band is being launched. Is there really a demand out there?? Upper Street (or something like that) & 365!!

MB

Upper Street are yet another (potentially failed) attempt by Dane Bowers to get in to the charts again as he has been trying to do so since Another Level split (hey, why don't THEY make a comeback instead?) I used to like Dane when he was in that band, but since I read Jordan's first book and realised what a pretty unpleasant guy he seemed to be, I went off him. I know Katie P isn't perfect but it does seem odd that she has the kiss of death on the men she has encountered. They appear to be publically vilified for sins committed. I'm sitting here waiting for Peter Andre to have his turn. It's suspiciously overdue! :D
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeatleGod wrote:
    Their success has been superficial though, and their fanbase wouldn't have heard of real artists.

Yes, absolutely and Westlife only really came about at the start because Take That were gone and there was still a need for the kind of teenie boyband who could fill their space in the pop music market. Boyzone did the trick for a short while after TT split and then Westlife of course had their initial claim to fame because Ronan Keating (at the time enjoying a very nice little solo career), was joint managing them and that gave Pondlife an exceptionally good start. The best thing Shane and Co ever did was Flying without Wings. I am so not a fan, but that song can still give me goosepimples and make me almost want to cry. It is brilliantly emotive. The worst thing they ever did was Raise Me Up. At the time it had been over-used and just sounded unbelievably cheesy. I also think losing Brian McFadden did them no favours at all. He was the cheeky one who brought a bit of personality and substance to their blandness. I remember reading some years ago that they were all getting fed up with Cowell's constant suggestions of covers that they didn't really want to do (around the time of the release of the appalling Mandy) but they went ahead and did it, like scared little puppets/muppets. Still, hopefully now that Take That are back, Westlife will be seen for the poor imitation they always were. What IS satisfying however, is that they don't seem to be releasing half as many singles as they used to (it seemed like 2 a month at one time). Anyway, my vote was, is and always will be, for Take That!!! :p