If you were bitten by a dog, how much compensation would you want?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't. I was bitten by a Dobermann and it was my own damn fault. I startled it, and it reacted as dogs sometimes do. I washed the cuts out with peroxide and left it at that. You were wise to get the tetanus jab, if you'd not had it before however.

I didn't even think of claiming compensation. And i would never in a million years seek to have the dog put down. I don't care how many people disagree with me on moral grounds either, i love animals and would never willingly be responsible for the death of a healthy animal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    If the injury is really bad, and in an area where the permanent scarring will be on show to such an extent that it is likely to effect your confidence in life going forward, then you may be entitled to compensation to cover the future costs of plastic surgery ... however, as you have refused to give details and only mentioned a tetanus jab I'm guessing it's nowhere near that bad.

Try and get £50 to cover the cost of the top, drugs and taxi/petrol etc ... but other than that, try to be English, not American! ;)
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Depends on the circumstances of the bite. If the owners were irresponsible, and could have easily prevented the incident, then I'd consider trying to get some sort of compensation, purely to teach them a lesson and make them think twice about thier actions. If it was something no one could have predicted and the owner was very apologetic and followed up with me to see how I am, I wouldn't see the need to take it further.

I agree, being bitten by a dog is not a matter to take lightly. Especially if you are left scarred or traumatised.

I would probably give the money to a kids charity that helps kids who need plastic surgery after dog bites if one exists.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ajay14 wrote: »
    I wouldn't draw attention to it, just so the dog doesn't get put down :(

Same here :(

When I was a child I got bit full in the face by a dog I knew and always fussed..it was sleeping in the street (a lot of dogs used to be allowed to roam the streets then) and I ran up to it and basically jumped on it to give it a hug!

I statled the poor thing and it jumped up and bit my nose! the only compensation I got was a stitch either side of my face, a tetanus jab and smack from my mum for being so stupid :o

The dog never bit anybody else in its entire life..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue the owner for as much as possible and push for a prosecution under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

All those on here who are saying don't sue, horrible compensation culture, etc are plain wrong. I agree it's wrong to sue if it's your fault - you walk into a lamp post or something similar because you weren't paying attention for example - but in cases such as this where you were not at fault you must sue.

The dog was out of control in a public place so this incident is covered by Section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act. Report the incident to the police and insist they take steps to prosecute the owner / keeper.

Also launch a private prosecution for compensation. A few grand is a reasonable outcome. My OH was bitten by a dog about ten years ago whilst delivering something. She sued and got £3000 & the dog was ordered to be put down.
  • MadgeMadge Posts: 6,492
    Forum Member
    Debian wrote: »
    Sue the owner for as much as possible and push for a prosecution under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

All those on here who are saying don't sue, horrible compensation culture, etc are plain wrong. I agree it's wrong to sue if it's your fault - you walk into a lamp post or something similar because you weren't paying attention for example - but in cases such as this where you were not at fault you must sue.

The dog was out of control in a public place so this incident is covered by Section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act. Report the incident to the police and insist they take steps to prosecute the owner / keeper.

Also launch a private prosecution for compensation. A few grand is a reasonable outcome. My OH was bitten by a dog about ten years ago whilst delivering something. She sued and got £3000 & the dog was ordered to be put down.

I can understand wanting the dog put down...that seems reasonable to me. I can even understand wanting the cost of travel to the hospital and the damaged clothing. But a few grand because they needed a tetanus injection?No...that's just plain wrong in my view. It's just greed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madge wrote: »
    I can understand wanting the dog put down...that seems reasonable to me. I can even understand wanting the cost of travel to the hospital and the damaged clothing. But a few grand because they needed a tetanus injection?No...that's just plain wrong in my view. It's just greed.

When my OH was attacked she actually sued for the cost of treatment, time off work and replacement clothing. However, once it was in the hands of the court she was awarded £3000, we didn't ask for it. You can't ask for how much compensation you want - you either sue or you don't. If you sue the court decides how much you will be awarded after reviewing the case. You can't choose to sue for £50.
    Forum Member
    Debian wrote: »
    When my OH was attacked she actually sued for the cost of treatment, time off work and replacement clothing. However, once it was in the hands of the court she was awarded £3000, we didn't ask for it. You can't ask for how much compensation you want - you either sue or you don't. If you sue the court decides how much you will be awarded after reviewing the case. You can't choose to sue for £50.

I can't comment on your OH's case as I don't know how long she was off work for, or if she had to pay for any of her treatment, but I still think suing for the sake of a tetanus injection is nothing less than greed.
  • mollymoralsmollymorals Posts: 13,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyB wrote: »
    I disagree Shackfan. In that case, all those that are beaten up, knived, nearly killed in some way at the fault of others should just 'be thankful they're not dead, just forget about it...'

If I had to go through that, just because someone couldn't keep their mutt on a leash, I'd want some form of compensation as well!

i think the compensation culture has gone mad in this country, however something like this warrants compensation imo.

it wasnt an act of god, it was an irresponsible dog owner.

if there was a dangerous driver who hit you, and paralysed you, you wouldnt say "oh well at least im alive"

no.... you'd claim, of course you would.
    Forum Member
    i think the compensation culture has gone mad in this country, however something like this warrants compensation imo.

it wasnt an act of god, it was an irresponsible dog owner.

if there was a dangerous driver who hit you, and paralysed you, you wouldnt say "oh well at least im alive"

no.... you'd claim, of course you would.

But you can't really equate requiring a tetanus injection with being paralysed, can you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you can't really equate requiring a tetanus injection with being paralysed, can you?

it makes no difference, it was still an irresponsible dog owner that should be made to pay.

could have been much much worse.

if a dangerous driver hit you, and didnt injure you, but damaged your car, you'd want them to pay for the repairs?
    Forum Member
    it makes no difference, it was still an irresponsible dog owner that should be made to pay.

could have been much much worse.

if a dangerous driver hit you, and didnt injure you, but damaged your car, you'd want them to pay for the repairs?

Repairs cost money Molly, how much does a tetanus injection cost?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Repairs cost money Molly, how much does a tetanus injection cost?

absolutly nothing, but i assume you'd have your own insurance?

ppl need to be made responsible for being irresponsible, acts of god are one thing, stupidity is another (if say the op was sticking her face in the dogs face while it was on a lead and teasing it and poking it)

but there are far too many irresponsible ppl around nowadays.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    I've been bitten by an Alsation today and ended up in A&E.

Had to have a Tetanus jab.

Just wondered how much should I claim in compensation?

See your solicitor, or a compo company. There's far too many instances of dogs attacking or annoying people minding their own business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinJ wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect compensation. I would however, expect the dog to be destroyed.

i dont see why a dog should be destroyed for doing what comes naturally when someone who stabs someone is allowed to live when this isnt natural.

i'd want compensation as the owners are at fault so should suffer, the dog isnt he should of been brought up better or had a muzzle on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,776
    Forum Member
    depends on how fluffy it is :D:D
    Forum Member
    absolutly nothing, but i assume you'd have your own insurance?
    ppl need to be made responsible for being irresponsible, acts of god are one thing, stupidity is another (if say the op was sticking her face in the dogs face while it was on a lead and teasing it and poking it)

but there are far too many irresponsible ppl around nowadays.

Yes you would, but you'd lose your no claims bonus if you claimed.

The NHS hasn't started totting up how much treatment you're allowed before they start charging. Yet.

We don't even know that the dog owner was being irresponsible in this case. All the OP has told us is that the dog went for him, dragging the owner with it.

I've already pointed out that I could understand them wanting the cost of their travel and damaged clothing, but the immediate attitude of 'how much can I get for this?' leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you would, but you'd lose your no claims bonus if you claimed.

The NHS hasn't started totting up how much treatment you're allowed before they start charging. Yet.

We don't even know that the dog owner was being irresponsible in this case. All the OP has told us is that the dog went for him, dragging the owner with it.

I've already pointed out that I could understand them wanting the cost of their travel and damaged clothing, but the immediate attitude of 'how much can I get for this?' leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

not if you have your no claims bonus protected :D

if i was an irresponsible dog owner, and thought for one miniute if my dog bit someone ii'd hit me in my pocket, it'd be straight on a lead.

as for the op, i have to take their op at face value unless they suggest otherwise, im in no position to assume they where at fault unless they say so.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being me, under similar circumstances (as described), I wouldn't want a dog to be put down, and I wouldn't sue.

If I was the dogs owner, I would be distraught. I would immediately offer help to the person bit and financial reparation for any clothing damage etc...
    Forum Member
    not if you have your no claims bonus protected :D

if i was an irresponsible dog owner, and thought for one miniute if my dog bit someone ii'd hit me in my pocket, it'd be straight on a lead.

as for the op, i have to take their op at face value unless they suggest otherwise, im in no position to assume they where at fault unless they say so.

There's no point in us arguing about this molly, as we're never going to agree. Yes, people should have their dogs on leads, and seemingly this dog was.

I'm certainly not assuming that the OP was at fault, but I'm not assuming that the dog owner was either.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Being me, under similar circumstances, I wouldn't want a dog to be put down, and I wouldn't sue.

If I was the dogs owner, I would be distraught. I would immediately offer help to the person bit and financial reparation for any clothing damage etc...

In fairness, that would probably be my approach as well. I personally wouldn't be that bothered about getting "compensation" except for any expenses/inconvenience incurred as a result. Nor would I especially want the dog to be put down.

But I would want an assurance that in future the dog be muzzled while outdoors.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that people always seem to go for compensation these days over nearly anything. I fell off a garage roof some years ago, I never attempted to get compensation for that. I got bitten by a dog from next door's stupid dog, I never attempted to get compensation for that either. I think this compensation lark is basically just a way of getting money that you don't have in life. I hate these adverts that ask people to ring in with their claim for what they think they might be entitled to. Like slipping on a floor for instance............oh come on. I think a case when compensation should genuinely be rewarded, should be something like if someone gets electrocuted from a mains circuit. These small accidents like you see in these adverts should just be forgotten about. If something where you work, or where you live, has been deliberately neglected enough to have caused you an accident, then this is also cause for genuine compensation as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'd also like to say, i wouldnt insist that the dog was put to sleep, but i think the dog owners shold be sent on somesort of course to teach them responsibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my family alsatian bit someone and drew blood from someones habd.

it was his fault though, he kept trying to stroke him and 'jack' was barking at him. we told him not to, but he said 'all dogs like me' :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah04 wrote: »
    my family alsatian bit someone and drew blood from someones habd.

it was his fault though, he kept trying to stroke him and 'jack' was barking at him. we told him not to, but he said 'all dogs like me' :rolleyes:

well then, thats just stupidity.... you shouldnt be compensated for stupidity imo