Options

Thomson Dti-6300

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
Forum Member
Hi everyone i've just just realised my THOMSON DTI-6300 freeview will not power up, no lights or anything, must have happened last night, i changed the plug fuse and it still won't power on, i checked inside and everything looks ok, no capacitors blown, i would have no knowledge on how to fix them anyway... i have lots of recordings on the hard drive and if i cannot get it working i will have to buy one from EBAYand swap the hard drive, which i can do myself if all else fails. thanks for any help you can offer...BARRY

Comments

• Options
    MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it is the Power Supply capacitors, they don't normally tend to "blow" but usually bulge or dome at the top when they have failed (they should be dead flat). Any doming no matter how small indicated failure. Can you take some clear digital photographs of the board and upload them to a sharing site like flickr so one of us can take a look?

There are two caps in particular that fail in these units. If you follow the posts in this thread, you will see the photos of the two in question. If my theory is correct, Satcure sell replacements that are unlikely to ever fail again as they are far higher quality. Avoid slightly cheaper stuff from places like Maplin as they are no better than the originals.

Good luck, post back here if you need more help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi masteriser thanks for your help and pictures i just looked inside mine and there is a small bulge on the 2 power capacitors like in those pics, is it possible for you to send me a link from satcure cell replacements for the actual replacement capacitors, so i can buy the correct ones as i don't want to buy the wrong ones, thanks for your help. BARRY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry,

The kit you need to buy is RELKIT33m which is the top one of the two kits under the heading in red that says "Thomson Freeview Kits".

The wording on the site is: "Thomson DTI6300 Freeview RELKIT33m. Just two x 1000µf capacitors required for this model."

The price is £1.15 + VAT & P&P.

The replacement capacitors in this kit are made by Panasonic and are of higher value and are physically a bit larger than the originals but will fit on the board. They are much better than the originals which were made by CapXon and are well known as unreliable in power supplies. These Panasonic capacitors should not fail again.

Make sure you install the replacements the right way around as they have a polarity. The shaded area on the board (when the old cap is removed) is where negative leg should go. Also, be aware that the largest capacitor on the board can give a nasty shock for quite some time after power has been removed (like being bitten by a ferret apparently). Unplug your Thomson now and leave it that way until you have repaired it.

While you have the lid off, clean out any fluff that will have collected around the cooling fan.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi thanks for your help i will try it and see how i go on, appreciate it
    BARRY
    Masteriser wrote: »
    Barry,

The kit you need to buy is RELKIT33m which is the top one of the two kits under the heading in red that says "Thomson Freeview Kits".

The wording on the site is: "Thomson DTI6300 Freeview RELKIT33m. Just two x 1000µf capacitors required for this model."

The replacement capacitors in this kit are made by Panasonic and are of higher value and are physically a bit larger than the originals but will fit on the board. They are much better than the originals which were made by CapXon and are well known as unreliable in power supplies. These Panasonic capacitors should not fail again.

Make sure you install the replacements the right way around as they have a polarity. The shaded area on the board (when the old cap is removed) is where negative leg should go. Also, be aware that the largest capacitor on the board can give a nasty shock for quite some time after power has been removed (like being bitten by a ferret apparently). Unplug your Thomson now and leave it that way until you have repaired it.

While you have the lid off, clean out any fluff that will have collected around the cooling fan.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baz1962 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your help i will try it and see how i go on, appreciate it
    BARRY
    Post back here when you are done to let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Post back here when you are done to let me know how it goes.

Hi i actually managed to do it myself after buying the power capacitors from satcure, i have never done this before so quite pleased, i also bought a spare set of capacitors just in case they ever fail again, but as you said these are a better quality so they might last, thanks very much for you help/advice, could'nt have done it without it.
    BARRY:)
  • Options
    digidoldigidol Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    My Thomson DTI-6300-16 failed on me last August and so decided to fixed it myself replacing all the capacitors on the power board using high quality Panasonic ones. Got it working straight away.

Anyway the other day I had to power it off - due to rearranging my equipment - unfortunately it won't power back on again and it seems to have similar symptons as before with just a ticking noise inside. I've had another look inside and all my replacement capacitors show no signs of leakage or bulging. Does anyone out there know if there is anything else that has failed?

Thanks in advance,.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member

Masteriser - the info above states the replacement kit capacitors as 1000uF, the Satcure website states they are 1200uF but the originals on the PSU board are 1600uF. I am sure the Satcure replacements are better quality than the originals but they are also lower capacity. As such I'd expect some recording blips especially under heavy hard drive load e.g. recording one programme whilst watching something from the library.
    John.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digidol wrote: »
    My Thomson DTI-6300-16 failed on me last August and so decided to fixed it myself replacing all the capacitors on the power board using high quality Panasonic ones. Got it working straight away.

Anyway the other day I had to power it off - due to rearranging my equipment - unfortunately it won't power back on again and it seems to have similar symptons as before with just a ticking noise inside. I've had another look inside and all my replacement capacitors show no signs of leakage or bulging. Does anyone out there know if there is anything else that has failed?

Thanks in advance,.

I had a similaiar problem a little while ago after a power cut.
    Left the box switch off at the mains for a few hours, switched it back on, and hey presto came back to life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnnyM100 wrote: »
    Masteriser - the info above states the replacement kit capacitors as 1000uF, the Satcure website states they are 1200uF but the originals on the PSU board are 1600uF. I am sure the Satcure replacements are better quality than the originals but they are also lower capacity. As such I'd expect some recording blips especially under heavy hard drive load e.g. recording one programme whilst watching something from the library.
    John.

The info above relates to the original CapXon capacitors on the board and not the replacements from Satcure which are higher rated and far higher quality. In the unit I repaired for my parents, the capacitors were indeed CapXon 1000uF 16V. The caps I removed certainly were not 1600uF. Neither, it would seem, were the caps removed by the posters in the Kafka's World PSU repair thread I linked to in post 2. The posts there mention 1000uF 16V.

The Satcure replacements were Panasonics and I believe you are correct in stating they are 1200uF. They were bigger in height and diameter than the originals but fitted OK. I went the whole hog though and replaced every capacitor on the PSU with high grade Panasonics (I sourced the other caps from RS). I also fitted a heat sink to the CPU of the unit and cleaned out lots of fluff from the fan. Since the repair, it has been rock solid (despite running 6.54 software).

I guess it is just possible that Thomson saw the error of their ways and sourced PSUs with higher rated components in them for the later units. But knowing Thomson, this is unlikely. Where exactly did you get the 1600uF value from?
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1600uF is not a standard value. 1500uF would be the nearest. However, I think Johnny has misread the value on his.

In any case, what really matters is the ESR value, which should be as low as possible. The ones in the SatCure kit have a low ESR and are guaranteed for 3 years, if fitted correctly. Please note that other values are also available for different models, including Panasonic DVRs and Humax PVRs.