Options

DTI6300 - How to Manually Tune?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
Forum Member
Could anybody please advise how to Manually Tune DTI6300?
This is required because Auto Tuning results in incorrect Regional BBC channel being stored
Any info appreciated
Dave

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing as I found the Auto Retune instructions on http://www.tvretune.co.uk/productmanuals

Firstly go to Menu then press 4 for Setup.

Is there a manual scan choice?

Otherwise try 08456 05 11 22 TV Retune's helpline and/or Top Up TV but only if you've a subscription
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply.
    There is no option to manually tune - only Auto Scan, which tunes the incorrect regional BBC Channel.
    Tried TopUpTV, but they were unwilling to offer any advice as I'm no longer a current subscriber
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This fix is adapted from RC4's Messsage number 26 on the thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=37346428&highlight=#post37346428

Model Number DHD4000, mind, so it might not be OK for the box you have

Symptoms
    Picture breaks up and sound clicks on some channels

Cure
    1 Disconnect aerial cable from back of unit
    2 Press Menu Button
    3 Press OK Button
    4 Select scan for channels
    5 Press OK Button
    6 Press green button- wait for scan to complete and will see found 0
    7 Press red button to cancel
    8 Select Technical help

On the right hand side of menu you will a see blank screen and underneath
    1: and a number will be highlighted.

9 Press left or right Button(next to OK button) to select 62 (For you, your largest preferred RF channel)
    10 Press OK Button

11 Press Left button to select 61 (For you, your next largest preferred RF Channel)
    12 Press OK Button

13 Press Left button to select 59 (For you, your next largest
    preferred RF Channel)
    14 Press OK Button

15 Press Left button to select 58 (For you, your next largest preferred RF Channel)
    16 Press OK Button

17 Press Left button to select 55 (For you, your smallest preferred RF Channel)
    18 Press OK Button

19 Press exit button to exit all the menus until picture appears
    There may be this hidden menu on your DTI 6300 too - Source http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1175022&highlight=tuning+6021

Engineer's Menu. Menu - Setup - Help - then press 1397.
    Advanced Information. Menu - Setup - Help - then press Green Button. From the advanced menu you can select -

RED. Factory Defaults
    YELLOW. Software revert
    BLUE. Format HDD

And if this doesn't work (I don't know if it will, but it's worth a punt!) try pulling out the RF cable, start the automatic scan and then insert the cable just before the lowest channel number of your preferred transmitter appears.

Check your instructions to make sure the box won't look for new channels and undo your hard work

To check where the correct channels are on the RF spectrum, put your postcode and house name or number into the checker on www.digitaluk.co.uk and click on "I am in the aerial trade."

Some Freeview boxes will show a "percentage complete" as they scan, under this scheme C21 is "0%", C22 is "2%", C42 is "42%", C54 is about "66%".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't manually tune a G1 Thomson aka DTI6300. All you can do is perform the auto tune with the aerial out and then replace it at the right moment. This is the biggest weakness with this box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Dave and Ray

I found this:

http://issuu.com/zoso/docs/thomson_dti_6300_user_manual page 34 - and in the .pdf for the Thomson DTI 6021 (same remote) page 29 Help menu: it looks like there's a Manual Tune that isn't called a Manuais That is Menu>Setup OK> 6 Help OK and change the RFs. Hopefully any user, not only a subscriber, would be able to access this.

Bit weird Thomson deciding to hide it so well ...

Old review for this recorder at http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/products/digital_tvs/index.asp?Product=Thomson%20DT16300-16
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think p34 describes manual tuning, it is more like a way to see what's on other channels. I've never been able to store changes made this way and I wouldn't be surprised if the function has been disabled in later software releases since the manual appeared in 2006.

AFAIK the G1 cannot be manually tuned. The box makes up its own mind choosing channels using the best quality signal rather than signal strength.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Thomson DTR-ers. I'm relieved the TVOnics HV-250 is kinder.

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All,

Thanks for your responses. I've tried most of the suggestions previously. I managed to contact Top Up TV technical support who advised me that it is not possible to manually tune the DTI6300. The Auto Tuning signal data is dependant on the strongest aerial signal (IE in my case the strongest aerial signal is East Yorks and Lincolnshire, which is how the regional channels are stored. I actually live in West Yorkshire which has different reginal channels).
    Incidentally my TV has the option to set East Yoks and Lincolnshire or Yokshire during auto channel scanning.
    Pity that the DTI6300 does not have this function.

On another note ... I did try the Re-Tune helpline suggested . A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME. Unable to actually talk to anybody, and their website has Unobtainable phone number, and incorrect website for Thomson contact.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like your signal from Belmont (RFs in the 20s)is stronger at the moment, but on Wednesday, Emley Moor (Rfs in the 40's and 50's) completes switchover. So do retune all your equipment on Wednesday once more and see if that solves the discrepancy: if not, go for Ray's advice at #6 above.

In any case, please would you write about the problems with the Retune line and tvretune,co,uk to Digital UK, using the webmail from the lowest part of the grey box on the right hand side of this page http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/contact_us

Digital UK, it would appear, have been left out of the loop by Thomson /Technicolor and TopUpTV regarding the lack of free Customer Support.

The Split NIT affected equipment at 17 March 2010 .pdf on both digitaluk.co.uk and freeview.co.uk is also very out of date regarding Thomson and I did phone Digital UK about this last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sue,
    The link you plrovided is Digital UK website, which is different from TV Retune, the one referred to ealier in this post.
    It's TV Retune that I had difficulty with - No ability to actually talk to anybody, no email option on website, incorrect Thomson phone number and website details.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallo again

The TV Retune website states it is, "Brought to you by
    BBC itv channel 4 s4c Channel 5 freeview
    Copyright © Digital UK Ltd. 2010"
    http://www.tvretune.co.uk/terms/ asks viewers to write, and it's the same postal address as shows on http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/terms__and__conditions, so ...
    I thought the DigitalUK webform might help get your feedback to those who need to read it quicker than if you wrote to the postal address:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, Sue.

I did send Digital UK an email asking about manual tuning DTI6300. This is their response.....

"The information we have received is that your Thompson box does not have manual retune, so you would be unable to use this option.
    Having checked your equipments model number, some early-manufactured digital boxes may stop working once a re-tune has been carried out. Or may place channels in a random order, the regional channels you require may have tuned in but are now on a different channel number.
    You can use the edit channels option to delete the ones you do not want, then rename and return the preferred regional programmes to their original positions. You would need to contact Thompson for advice on this option. You may also find that they have a software download that may resolve the problem you are having.
    If required when replacing equipment, Digital UK recommends that you look for products with the 'digital tick'. Digital televisions can be upgraded with a digital box. Cost is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Visit the Ricability website www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk to find recommended digital equipment."

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveiw100 wrote: »
    Thanks, Sue.

I did send Digital UK an email asking about manual tuning DTI6300. This is their response.....

"The information we have received is that your Thompson box does not have manual retune, so you would be unable to use this option.
    Having checked your equipments model number, some early-manufactured digital boxes may stop working once a re-tune has been carried out. Or may place channels in a random order, the regional channels you require may have tuned in but are now on a different channel number.
    You can use the edit channels option to delete the ones you do not want, then rename and return the preferred regional programmes to their original positions. You would need to contact Thompson for advice on this option. You may also find that they have a software download that may resolve the problem you are having.
    If required when replacing equipment, Digital UK recommends that you look for products with the 'digital tick'. Digital televisions can be upgraded with a digital box. Cost is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Visit the Ricability website www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk to find recommended digital equipment."

Dave

Good-oh! The only problem being, as we've established on DS, that http://www.thomson-broadband.com and http://www.thomson.net and 01788 541970 no longer reach any UK Customer Support for Thomson STBs or DTRs!

I'll have a go at wemailing Digital UK
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Good-oh! The only problem being, as we've established on DS, that http://www.thomson-broadband.com and http://www.thomson.net and 01788 541970 no longer reach any UK Customer Support for Thomson STBs or DTRs!

I'll have a go at wemailing Digital UK

Both my DTI6300s were branded TUTV and most of the forum discussions about updates for these boxes refer to TUTV downloads. You may do better to look in their direction for support and information regardless of whether you subscribe to TUTV. I never have, just bought the PVRs because they were cheap at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did originally subscribe to Top Up TV, but am no longer a subscriber.
    I originally emailed Top Up TV with my question, but they were unable (or unwilling) to offer any support as I was not a Top Up TV subsciber.
    I did contact them via phone, and they informed me that they could only off limited support, but they did advise me that it is not possible to manually tune the DTI6300.

Meanwhile, I have another problem with the DTI6300, for which I will open a new thread
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a reply from Digital UK to the webform I filled in about the Thomson contact details on www.digitaluk.co.uk and www.tvretune.co.uk with particular reference to the Split NITs /pdf of 17 March 2010:
    Thank you for your email dated 19 September regarding contact information for Thomson.

The information we have was provided to us by Thomson. However I will pass this information onto the relevant department.

If you have any further enquiries regarding the digital switchover please visit our website at www.digitaluk.co.uk or call us on 08456 50 50 50.

Kind Regards,

Diane Jamieson

Digital UK