Young Player of the Year:

Thibaut Courtois
Philippe Coutinho,
David de Gea,
Eden Hazard
Harry Kane,
Raheem Sterling.

Hazard and Kane to win?

Mind you De Gea has excelled in goal for Man U.

Comments

• Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazard and De Gea.
  • Options
    Will_JohnsonWill_Johnson Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazard and De Gea.

They are nominated for both, as is Harry Kane, so which award do you think Hazard will win, and if its the main award, surely it is perverse to nominate him for young player then pick someone else?
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Hazard for PFA, Kane will probably get the young PFA. I couldn't argue with that, either.

De Gea would be a worthy winner, but for the sake of a potential amusing reaction I'd like it if Courtois won it ahead of him. :)
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costa and Kane for me, courtois very close for young player though, think he's been great.

Don't know why so many have been nominated in both categories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are nominated for both, as is Harry Kane, so which award do you think Hazard will win, and if its the main award, surely it is perverse to nominate him for young player then pick someone else?

I think Hazard will get the senior award and Kane will get the young player.

However I think De Gea has been more instrumental in where Utd are in the league at the moment.

I think it's a tough decision this season.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hazard will get the senior award and Kane will get the young player.

But that makes no sense and is why i find these nominations so completely stupid.

If you have been nominated in both and you win the senior then by default you win the young player as well surely?

If you win the young player and you weren't in the senior list but the guy who wins the senior was also in the young player list then that makes no sense either.

Essentially this only works if the winner of the senior isn't named in the young player list otherwise it has to be one winner for both so that would be Costa or Sanchez which seems unlikely.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,486
    Forum Member
    robborocks wrote: »
    Costa and Kane for me, courtois very close for young player though, think he's been great.

I get pretty angry about this, surely you are either a young player, or you are not? It is so wrong that a player can scoop both awards imo - one or the other.

Why is Aguero not in the list, he's scored as many goals as Kane, and why no goalie for FOY, some have been the saviours of their teams this season.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    De Gea should win the double, he has been amazing throughout the whole season, he fully deserves his nominations in both categories.
  • Options
    -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    so you only qualify for these awards if you play for one of the big 6 clubs? ...what a load of crud...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Bandit- wrote: »
    so you only qualify for these awards if you play for one of the big 6 clubs? ...what a load of crud...

Its not all that much simpler than the fact the best players play for the best teams. I can't really think of an obvious candidate outside of those players who is more deserving than those who have been nominated.
    Orchideam wrote: »
    I get pretty angry about this, surely you are either a young player, or you are not? It is so wrong that a player can scoop both awards imo - one or the other.
    robborocks wrote: »
    But that makes no sense and is why i find these nominations so completely stupid.

If you have been nominated in both and you win the senior then by default you win the young player as well surely?

If you win the young player and you weren't in the senior list but the guy who wins the senior was also in the young player list then that makes no sense either.

Essentially this only works if the winner of the senior isn't named in the young player list otherwise it has to be one winner for both so that would be Costa or Sanchez which seems unlikely.

You've all fully understood my point, which by contrast, NorthernNinny has missed.

Either put players in one list or the other, or if you are in both lists, then winning the main award ought to give you the young one by default.

A scenario occurs here that might see De Gea win the main award only for Courtois to win young player, which is absolutely crackers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really can't stop having a dig can you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    De Gea should win the double, he has been amazing throughout the whole season, he fully deserves his nominations in both categories.

He has had a very good season but the fact that he is a goalkeeper and that Man Utd haven't had a stand-out season will count against him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has had a very good season but the fact that he is a goalkeeper and that Man Utd haven't had a stand-out season will count against him.

Mind you, when Manchester United won the treble David Ginola won the PFA main award so anything is possible.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    It'll clearly be Hazard and Kane so there's barely even a need for discussion on who you think WILL get it

Who you think SHOULD get it is another matter entirely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really can't stop having a dig can you?
    You have said De Gea is important to his side, agreed.

You think Hazard for the main and De Gea for the young. Not a problem with that, and it might happen, but I was putting a particular point to you that if Hazard is in the main list, and wins that one, why would he not win the young player by default? If De Gea beats him to the young player award, surely its a nonsense to then have Hazard in the nominations for young player?

Its not having a dig by the way, stop being so utterly pathetic. Funnily enough I am trying to talk about football and having regard to other posters as opposed to inflating my own sense of self-importance.

The nominations just seems very strange in the way they have been divided.
  • Options
    -Bandit--Bandit- Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Its not all that much simpler than the fact the best players play for the best teams. I can't really think of an obvious candidate outside of those players who is more deserving than those who have been nominated.

i'm not arguing the fact that the best players play for the big 6, but these awards should be about the best and most consistent performers regardless of the team...

... ward-prowse for one should be in the young player award... charlie austin has been outstanding for qpr... fonte for southampton, too... dann at palace...

i'm sure others will come up with more names that deserve a mention...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yeah but Hazard has been 'outstanding' for the actual champions? (unless they get deducted points no-one is catching them)

Granted for awards like these, it's more or less just asking for 'my player is better than yours' type debates galore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you, when Manchester United won the treble David Ginola won the PFA main award so anything is possible.

To be fair from what i remember the problem there was that there were so many excellent performers for Manchester United that season that they totally split the vote so Ginola became the alternative instead of having to single out a Man Utd player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have said De Gea is important to his side, agreed.

You think Hazard for the main and De Gea for the young. Not a problem with that, and it might happen, but I was putting a particular point to you that if Hazard is in the main list, and wins that one, why would he not win the young player by default? If De Gea beats him to the young player award, surely its a nonsense to then have Hazard in the nominations for young player?

Its not having a dig by the way, stop being so utterly pathetic. Funnily enough I am trying to talk about football and having regard to other posters as opposed to inflating my own sense of self-importance.

The nominations just seems very strange in the way they have been divided.

If you were merely discussing football then you wouldn't be making digs at every opportunity.

One of the threads was derailed earlier because of mud slinging.

Why don't you just ease off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually didn't Giggs win this one year when he was way passed his prime and Bale another despite playing very well for about two months max, most of it in CL

More or less stopped taking it in any way seriously after that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Bandit- wrote: »
    i'm not arguing the fact that the best players play for the big 6, but these awards should be about the best and most consistent performers regardless of the team...

... ward-prowse for one should be in the young player award... charlie austin has been outstanding for qpr... fonte for southampton, too... dann at palace...

i'm sure others will come up with more names that deserve a mention...

They are good players who've done well though Ward-Prowse is a big reach in particular. The rest, I don't disagree. But the point is that I can't see how any of those you've mentioned have a huge case over and above those who have been picked.

I'd put Danny Ings in that same bracket as those you've mentioned too, with the same logic applicable to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    It'll clearly be Hazard and Kane so there's barely even a need for discussion on who you think WILL get it

Who you think SHOULD get it is another matter entirely

How can Hazard be a better player than Kane in one category but not a better player than Kane in the other when they are both nominated in both for doing exactly the same thing?

It makes no sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you were merely discussing football then you wouldn't be making digs at every opportunity.

One of the threads was derailed earlier because of mud slinging.

Why don't you just ease off?

I am afraid I do not understand what you are talking about, infact I think you are being ridiculous. Twice in this thread now I've put forward what I would have said are perfectly reasonable questions and in both instances you've got the hump over it.

I don't understand why you are taking it personally and bringing another thread into it, in which you were trying this bizarre "dog with a bone" thing for no fathomable reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can Hazard be a better player than Kane in one category but not a better player than Kane in the other when they are both nominated in both for doing exactly the same thing?

It makes no sense.

I don't decide them :)

In all seriousness, I do agree with you but lets be honest they're only for show and publicity anyway, I'm surprised people actually even take these seriously after Giggs/Bale wins

Not to mention voting stops in March is it?? And the season ends in May
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Actually didn't Giggs win this one year when he was way passed his prime and Bale another despite playing very well for about two months max, most of it in CL

More or less stopped taking it in any way seriously after that

Very true!