Options

Life on Mars - BBC ONE

Comments

• Options
    PopjocPopjoc Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Have to admit, I'm very hooked already...everything seems to work so well, the plot is great, the acting is brilliant, and i love the dream sequences too. Cant wait for the next episode
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I found it quite dull. It's obvious the show's creators are big seventies cop show fans, but realised they couldn't make a straightforward seventies cop show as no-one would be interested. HAIL the time travel ingredient.

All the fish-out-of-water time travel jokes were rather obvious too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only worry is he will wake up from his coma in episode 6 and then thats the end of it.... or is it?........... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    does anyone know when its going to be repeated?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, but then I've never seen John Simm in anything bad (Anyone remember The Lakes?)

It will be interesting to see how much they keep the tounge-in-cheek against playing it straight.

Ah 1973. I was one year old then - scary to think that was the world I was born into :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madisey wrote:
    I found it quite dull. It's obvious the show's creators are big seventies cop show fans, but realised they couldn't make a straightforward seventies cop show as no-one would be interested. HAIL the time travel ingredient.

All the fish-out-of-water time travel jokes were rather obvious too.

HAIL the whole thing.

The "time travel" ingredient? He didn't travel in time, hes in a coma having a dream. By the way if anyone likes this I suggest Vanilla Sky as a good film to watch if you haven't seen it....
  • Options
    OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this programme, I think its quite a fresh, original idea for a drama serial. The BBC always do great dramas!

I thought both John Simm and Philip Glenister were great and believable and made me feel like it was a bit Vanilla Sky-ish

Cant wait till next weeks episode :D:D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote:
    That really was excellent. Well done the BBC. Can't believe many people would choose to watch CBB or Sopastar Superstars over something of this quality! It was great to see the tired old cop show genre given a new lease of life with a fascinating and imaginative plot. More like this please BBC!

Have to agree with above. Brilliant concept had me hooked all the way through-political correctness meets the Sweeney!
    I cant believe anyone would want to watch Soapstars Superstars but unfortunately I bet they did.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bhapsuk wrote:
    does anyone know when its going to be repeated?
    It might be repeated with signing in a few weeks in the early hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    One thing that puzzles me is how people can watch a tv show and yet spend time on the computer writing about it while its still on.
    Why not comment on it when its finished?
    How much dialogue are you missing while posting on here?

I am with you on that one; stuff that multitasking caper; for drama of this quality, it is my 32" Widescreen TV with the lights off giving this excellent programme my full attention. :D

Oh by the way, Life on Mars was magnificent.
  • Options
    PR.PR. Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice, liked it a lot, nice attention to detail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    A very good piece of telly, nicely done and made me want to see more!

Apparently they have already commisoned this for a second series! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    That was ace. First time I've watched a prime time BBC one show in years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Top Program, Love the cars...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was ace. First time I've watched a prime time BBC one show in years.

Yeah I was the same, I don't usually bother with UK dramas but I thought this looked promising so tuned in. Glad I did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Was thinking, that scene with the 'hypnotherapist' seemed to me that his mind was just calming him down.

"When you wake up, your family and friends will be there, so will mya" Seems all to good to be true and maybe hints at the fact that he isn't in a coma after all!

Can't wait to see how it all develops anyway :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    It's repeated on Thursday night / Friday morning at 12.25am.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJayC wrote:
    Was thinking, that scene with the 'hypnotherapist' seemed to me that his mind was just calming him down.

"When you wake up, your family and friends will be there, so will mya" Seems all to good to be true and maybe hints at the fact that he isn't in a coma after all!

Can't wait to see how it all develops anyway :)

There's got to be a twist or two hasn't there? It's so clevely written you can tell there'll be a few surprises along the way...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuthBob wrote:
    It's repeated on Thursday night / Friday morning at 12.25am.
    albeit with signing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Is he in a coma or has he actually travelled back in time? Obviously, the former is infinitely more likely but the level of detail in his 'dream' is astonishing.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Excellent concept, excellent execution and what a soundtrack!

When British tv can be this good it makes you have to wonder why they bother with crap like Soapstar Superstar.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic programme. The BBC Drama department have been doing well of late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nkt wrote:
    Is he in a coma or has he actually travelled back in time? Obviously, the former is infinitely more likely but the level of detail in his 'dream' is astonishing.

i think the main guy said in an interview for the bbc is that you dont really know if he is in a coma or not
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    mromega wrote:
    When British tv can be this good it makes you have to wonder why they bother with crap like Soapstar Superstar.
    Because that's popular too? Not everyone likes well written, acted and thoughtful cop dramas :) Takes all sorts, you know ;)
    craggers wrote:
    i think the main guy said in an interview for the bbc is that you dont really know if he is in a coma or not
    ...and the award for "most obvious statement of the blindingly obvious" goes to... :D:D:D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Simm is on BBCi on 5200 talking about the show.