The Big Holby City Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holby City has been really good for the past three weeks. Greg could been a much better character if he wasn't involved with Sahira. He has shined since she left. The abuse SL brought in a lot of tension and drama that the show needed. It was also good that the storyline was resolved conclusively. The actors involved did a good job. Anyway, Goodbye Greg.

The new GS Consultant seems quite stern and likes to get her own way. I liked that she helped Malick, i though it was a nice way to introduce the character. I am looking forward to her clashes with Ric. I love watching the Malick, he is such a great character. I missed Dan though.

Michael Spence makes me laugh, he is so funny. Sacha and Michael make a good duo, they work well together. I thought Ella was quite funny when she called the police to say Jasmine was missing. Is she a new character?

Hanssen was great as always. I love the way he just pops up out of nowhere. It nice to see that he ended on good terms with Greg.

Elliot is great as always.

Overall, a solid episode with good character development and interactions. Kudos to Martha Hillier for writing another great episode. She is the best writer in the show because she sets the mood right, has a sense of wit and good characterisations.
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna miss Greg. He was a decent guy. Hanssen did right by him.

The abuse storyline has been really well done. Holby at its finest.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Anyone watching tonight?

Watching it on i player right now:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that the new GS consultant literally came out of nowehre, I was so taken aback I'm sure i said 'you're the new who?' at the telly :D

nice conclusion to the Lucy/EvilDoctor storyline with some wonderful acting from Lucy, the dad and even Greg

I was worried when the university woman appeared ages ago we'd have 'medical student of the week' storylines.. i hope it doesn't happen every week
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a great episode. I'm glad had his own final storyline rather than with Sahira. I had forgot all about her involvement with him. I loved the scene with Hanssen when he said he would give him a good reference.

I'm glad Greg confided in Elliott. Great scenes all round.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I love that the new GS consultant literally came out of nowehre, I was so taken aback I'm sure i said 'you're the new who?' at the telly :D

nice conclusion to the Lucy/EvilDoctor storyline with some wonderful acting from Lucy, the dad and even Greg

I was worried when the university woman appeared ages ago we'd have 'medical student of the week' storylines.. i hope it doesn't happen every week
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I thought it was a great episode. I'm glad had his own final storyline rather than with Sahira. I had forgot all about her involvement with him. I loved the scene with Hanssen when he said he would give him a good reference.

I'm glad Greg confided in Elliott. Great scenes all round.

I agree.

I shall miss Greg.
  • thombo1thombo1 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    McLiam (Greg) was fantastic in the last two episodes, probably the best performance in Holby this series for me. Very appropriate ending for him, wasn't overblown with drama and felt very real. I'm sure someone of his talent will quickly find a job elsewhere (both actor and character!)

The new consultant on Keller, Serena, makes Hanssen look like a Boy Scout! Very sinister. I can see either a Ric vs Serena battle over Malick, or Ric simply shacking up with her. ;) She reminds me of Connie, but so far doesn't seem to have the warmth that Connie had.

I actually thought Jasmine was a great little actress, and her scenes with Michael are always quite funny, simply because they are obviously so alike but would never admit to it.

Every storyline was quite good tonight, kept up the standards of last week. Great episode.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Just realised the abusive GP father was PC Steve Loxton in The Bill during the 90s.

http://www.oocities.org/steve_loxton/steve0050.jpg
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else having problems watching Holby on iplayer?
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    I liked Faye, but I get a feeling from here that I might be slightly alone in that. Why aren't people a fan of hers? I must admit, I never quite understood the whole thing about have a few ex husbands who died under suspicious consequences and her arrival story with whatever went on in Dubai or wherever it was. Perhaps I missed her crucial episodes.

I'm not going to try and speak for everyone, but my basic problem with Faye was that they spent a year building up this mysterious black widow past, only to seemingly flip it sympathetically toward her by revealing all the enigma had been becasue she had a very ill child - I suspect they did this because Kensit extended her original 12 month contract.

We then had this drawn out angsty love affair with Joseph where they really made it seem that she truly loved him and how dreadful it was that she couldn't have children and it was almost a Romeo / Juliet thing only to have her dump him soon after marriage saying she'd never loved him, couldn't bear to have him touch her etc and then all the angsty thrwawted love business started up with Linden.

I suppose I couldn't stand the victim, poor little me mentality when I actually thought she was quite conniving. Also, as Jac and Joseph fan that wanted them reconciled, she was annoying because she kept getting in the way.

That said, I think Kensit portrayed her fairly well and there have been a lot of characters I disliked more over the years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    thombo1 wrote: »
    McLiam (Greg) was fantastic

The scene with Elliott, where Elliott looked like he was losing patience, but Edward McLiam just kept on pausing for that extra split second, looking as though the tears were coming...

...I'm certainly no acting expert, but I know when something moves me. I had to blink a few tears of my own away there. I thought that was tremendous acting. WIll be really sorry to see the back of Edward McLiam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Also, as much as I love Hanssen, I was a bit shocked that he appeared to be dropping Greg in it with "PC Loxton". I had no idea about the twist, and Hanssen didn't even have to say anything - the whole thrust of his dialogue, without any obvious indication, turned around 180 degrees, and Lucy's dad looked sick. Another fine scene.

Couple that with the scene where Hanssen assured Greg he would find a job thanks to some phone calls from him and a vastly overinflated reference - top stuff :)
    Forum Member
    Ignore my last post, finally got it working.

What a brilliant episode. Everything about it was fantastic.

I'm so annoyed that Greg finally becomes brilliant just as he leaves.

And as always, I love Hanssen, I love how you can't second guess him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Just realised the abusive GP father was PC Steve Loxton in The Bill during the 90s.

http://www.oocities.org/steve_loxton/steve0050.jpg

Wasn't he also Dr Marc Elliott in Doctors?
  • GlanbraintGlanbraint Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glanbraint wrote: »
    not technically a spoiler more of a theory:

I am wondering whether Greg has actually led Lucy into saying that she has been abused by her father. In suspected abuse situations (as a teacher) we have to be very careful not to ask leading questions which put suggested actions into the mind of the young person. I think some of his questions were very leading. It's possible that Lucy is a very emotionally unbalanced young girl. She seemed quite provocative with Greg (which can be a sign of abuse) but she latched onto him in quite an inappropriate way. Also he interviewed her alone.....very inappropriate. I think the father may be innocent and that the proverbial is about to hit the fan for our Irish Doc. Of course I will probably be very wrong as usual! :

Oh well wrong as usual :o:o:o:o:o:D
    At least I was right about being wrong if you get me :confused::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I was watching some old episodes of Holby today and I was thinking it would be nice if they brought back Mickie for a couple of episodes. I know there's almost no-one there she knows any more but it's been 6 years since she left so she should have finished her training now. It would be a nice bit of continuity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I was watching some old episodes of Holby today and I was thinking it would be nice if they brought back Mickie for a couple of episodes. I know there's almost no-one there she knows any more but it's been 6 years since she left so she should have finished her training now. It would be a nice bit of continuity.

I would love this so much!
    Forum Member
    I would love this so much!

:D I thought I'd be the only one.

Don't get me wrong, I love Holby at the moment (especially now that she who shall not be named is gone) but there are so many older characters who I'd love to see back.
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the actress was in Hustle which has now been cancelled so you never know ... maybe!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, I love Holby at the moment (especially now that she who shall not be named is gone) but there are so many older characters who I'd love to see back.

Mickie was one of my all time favourite Holby characters :D
  • JordanJ7JordanJ7 Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer to see Maternity return with the likes of Mubbs, Owen, Rosie & co. Aswell as bringing back Alex Adams and people like that.

Would be amazing. Although it'll never happen.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Faye, but I get a feeling from here that I might be slightly alone in that. Why aren't people a fan of hers? I must admit, I never quite understood the whole thing about have a few ex husbands who died under suspicious consequences and her arrival story with whatever went on in Dubai or wherever it was. Perhaps I missed her crucial episodes.

I liked Faye and thought Patsy did a good job with the role. Faye was a bit of sociopath which I found entertaining. I was enjoying the story until Linden got involved. It made absolutely no sense that Faye would get romantically involved with Linden. They had spent months implying that she was a gold digger so why on earth would she get involved with Linden who had no money or status compared to Joseph.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordanJ7 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Maternity return with the likes of Mubbs, Owen, Rosie & co. Aswell as bringing back Alex Adams and people like that.

Would be amazing. Although it'll never happen.

Yes, I always thought it would be a good idea if they focused on one ward a week and really stuck with the patient storylines and staff relationships, give more depth to the episode rather than chopping and changing. They could do general surgery, cardiothoracic, AAU and maternity if they bought it back.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member

Add me to the list. I always liked Mickie as a character, I think Kelly is a talented and very pretty actress, but more to the point re having plot ines for returnees rather than just doing it for the sake of it, Mickie left to train as a doctor - she'd have finished by now - given that they are concentrating on the teaching aspect of the hospital now, having her return as an F1, F2 or even House Officer would be great with her being an 'mature' F1 and having history as a good nurse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Add me to the list. I always liked Mickie as a character, I think Kelly is a talented and very pretty actress, but more to the point re having plot ines for returnees rather than just doing it for the sake of it, Mickie left to train as a doctor - she'd have finished by now - given that they are concentrating on the teaching aspect of the hospital now, having her return as an F1, F2 or even House Officer would be great with her being an 'mature' F1 and having history as a good nurse

a House Officer is the same as an F1. She would be an F2 or registrar by now.
This discussion has been closed.