The White Queen discussion thread

Comments

• CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant and hope the following episodes will be as good. Surprised to see people having such strong negative reactions in the thread. I do love this sort of thing though so maybe I'm biased. Who knows.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least I won't regret missing any of it in the Summer. Now we know why the BBC put it on for the holidays...
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was brilliant and hope the following episodes will be as good. Surprised to see people having such strong negative reactions in the thread. I do love this sort of thing though so maybe I'm biased. Who knows.
    Don't ruin it by looking for the truths......
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you really expect to see anything else on a DS forum. :) glad I wasn't the only one that in enjoyed it.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cgk wrote: »
    I'm surprised how cheap looking this is, lack of extras in some scenes - I am surprised people think this cost more than the tudors, there is no chance of that on a BBC budget.

I'm suprised too seeing I just saw it was a joint production with Starz.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even a smearing of shyte in the courtyard to give the set an authentic feel.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like the trailer released online some time ago, but most of the TV critics who have seen it already raved about it.

A slow burning episode for sure, I think it will only improve from here and get better.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Their haircuts were all wrong too.... not that it really matters I suppose.

Perhaps the hairdressing budget went on the whacky head-gear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the trailer released online some time ago, but most of the TV critics who have seen it already raved about it.

A slow burning episode for sure, I think it will only improve from here and get better.

I took a critics revue as a recommendation that 'Man of Steel' was the best thing since sliced bread, more fool me as that was unmitigated bile as well.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol its what a lot of people join DS for so they can have "strong negative reactions" about just about everything.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look folks, if you want entertainment then watch the White Queen.

If it's warts and all history then there are channels for that.

Don't slag it off because it's not like a factual historical documentary when it's never meant to be a factual historical documentary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Lol its what a lot of people join DS for so they can have "strong negative reactions" about just about everything.

Sets were too clean, clothiers were too pretty and the adaptation was horrendous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    Don't ruin it by looking for the truths......

Look, if I want a history lesson I'll hit the books or dig out old dramas known for being more historically accurate.

I see nothing wrong with using history as a backdrop for a bit of fantasy and escapism. Also, it might get people interested in the real history and that's certainly no bad thing.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The truth is that it isn't as bad as people are trying to make it out as.

It is just a light romp through history. It would be completely pretentious to expect accurate dialogue and settings.

It does, however, allow the moaners to practice their hobby to their heart's content as they pick holes in things the majority of people don't care about.

I also wonder where the got their history, acting and scriptwriting degrees from.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't slag it off because it's not like a factual historical documentary when it's never meant to be a factual historical documentary.

Great post. I mean someone's slating it because there hair cuts where wrong :eek: I mean seriously wtf. :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

What a pity then that its author was masquerading as a historian recently on BBC2 during a documentary about Anne Boleyn. Gregory really should stay in her box as a romantic novelist and drop the pretense that she knows what she's talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Rebecca Fergusson pretty enough to play the supposedly drop-dead gorgeous Elisabeth Woodville ?

Also, all the clothes were so immaculate, as if washed in Daz in a Bosch A-rated washing machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not the historical stuff that annoys me as that's irrelevant, the adaptation has made the poorly written book on which its based seem like a booker winning novel.

Script is more important than anything, get that right and everything else can be forgiven.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »

Obviously, but I thought people would take the White Queen for what it was - a bit of escapism - and either enjoy it or decide it wasn't for them. The level of outrage towards the programmme in some comments has taken me aback. But then, this is DS so I really don't know why I am surprised. I've been reading the boards a long time and people seem to live for being pedantic and impossibly hard to please.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabulous show.

The mother of Elizabeth was particularly impressive. Reminded me of the Queen of Thorns on the Game of Thrones.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sets were too clean, clothiers were too pretty and the adaptation was horrendous.

............thanks for qualifying my point instantly :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The fact that Gregory scored an E in her history A level explains pretty much everything.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I didn't, and after all the publicity it got, especially in the Radio Times, I was expecting something close to reality: gritty and authentic...

You turned to an adaption of Philippa Gregory's work for gritty and authentic??
    Get a grip, It's like watching Mrs Brown's Boys for subtle humour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

It does, however, allow the moaners to practice their hobby to their heart's content as they pick holes in things the majority of people don't care about.

This is what I don't get. By all means, dislike something and say so, but people here seem desperate to keep their own outrage going well beyond the point of normal or healthy. Life's too short, folks! :D
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it for what it was, a soapy historical romp. All it was ever going to be because of the source material. I'll leave the nitpicking to the people on this thread as some people do seem to enjoy it. I didn't watch the programme to learn about the era, I watched to enjoy and I did.