"The 50th might be controversial"

Comments

• So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Hurt plot plays out in the straight forward way that he's just a past Doctor who lost the right to be called or considered such, Matt will still be the 11th Doctor. The 12th incarnation but the 11th Doctor all the same, and so need for some mass renumbering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And lo, the controversy did come to pass...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eleven specified in 'Name' that Hurt was both him and not a Doctor.

The likelihood is that after the special Smith will still be Eleven and his successor Twelve...
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Eleven specified in 'Name' that Hurt was both him and not a Doctor.

Thus, it's completely unclear as of yet and getting dangerously close to fandom debate territory. He needs to sort it really.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It said 'Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' because he was once the Doctor but doesn't count anymore. It's fair to call him simultaneously the Doctor and not the Doctor when he's existing outside of linear time, as it were, as a phantom in the Doctor's timestream.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    It said 'Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' because he was once the Doctor but doesn't count anymore. It's fair to call him simultaneously the Doctor and not the Doctor when he's existing outside of linear time, as it were, as a phantom in the Doctor's timestream.

But the pedantic ones amongst us (me admittedly being one of them, to some extent) would like a straight answer about whether Eleven is Eleven or Twelve. That debate won't ever go away if we have this "Doctor but not the Doctor" thing going on.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Everything since the middle of "An Unearthly Child" has been the hallucinations
    of a mentally ill Ian Chesterton....wait, that's too dark. :(
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything since the middle of "An Unearthly Child" has been the hallucinations
    of a mentally ill Ian Chesterton....wait, that's too dark. :(

I like it, though. :D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I like it, though. :D

Might make a good "Unbound" -style story for
    Big Finish- or a DWM style comic strip, in the
    style of Marvel's "What If?" or DC's "Elseworlds".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wouldn't de-canon-ise Ten, and write him out of history, would he? Would he? No, he wouldn't. Would he? No. He would, wouldn't he. No. He won't.

</Donna>
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler: it turns out the Doctor's real name is Verity Lambert.

Also, Romana threw that beach-ball into the sea on purpose.
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I'm going to go with a surprise regeneration of the 11th Doctor.

Assuming now that Matt Smith has shaved his hair, will he be wearing a wig for his final appareance in the Christmas special ? or perhaps he will bow out in November.
  • BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    The controversial twist is that Rose and Clara will have to go undercover as boys called Tyler and Oswald.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My (probably very wrong) theory on how Rose might be able to appear in the special without having to yet again escape her parallel universe (assuming it doesn't take place wholly in the Doctor's timestream):

The events of Doomsday have been erased with Rose having left the Doctor voluntary in this new timeline.

Controversial because it both rewrites established canon and points to the Doctor not really being the love of Rose's life if she willingly left him.

Now I'm basing this thoery on -
    1) Clara and the kids showing no recollection of what a Cyberman was in Nightmare
    2) RE the women in the shop mentioned in Bells - shops being something associated with Rose, who also obviously also has the TARDIS's number.
    3) A minor spoiler but just in case
    Set pictures seem to indicate that Ten is from the Specials era, not S2 or the parallel world.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last 50 years was all a dream by K9 :)
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    The entire episode will be done in the form of a ballet and will reveal that all the Doctors since Tom Baker have been a dream and the Morbius Doctors were the real ones.

You could just have Tom Baker walk out of a shower.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    kjwilly wrote: »
    Perhaps the Hurt character uttered those "Silence Must Fall" lines?

I just think that John Hurt's "Doctor" is called "The Silence"
    The only reason they will have put Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor at the end of TNOTD is so they don't give the game away as to who he really is.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far as what I have seen and heard there will be 3 "doctors". 11,10 and Johns Hurts character whoever he is or was "John Smith" . We also have a old companion returning
    Rose Tyler
    the latest companion Clara, Brigadiers daughter Kate Stewart turns up to help too. We also have Joanna Page playing
    10s ex wife Elizabeth the 1st
    . Why she would want to help him after he broke her heart I don't know. He was on a "bender" when he knew he was going to die and regenerate into 11.They had a brief elopement but it didn't work out. Dream lord mentioned it in AC and 11 referenced it in TWORS. Plus there have been all the jokes about the doctor liking red hair and wanting to have red hair himself.
    Looks like we will see old freinds and new ,old enemies and new plus some twists and turns no doubt. Should be a good night hopefully will become a classic.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes probably just a Watcher signally that Smith's time is up
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt is the 12th incarnation of The Doctor and regenerates into the Valyard, He spends the entire next series as a villain.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main villain who is trying to seek revenge on the Doctor will be none other than a resurrected Adric.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    The main villain who is trying to seek revenge on the Doctor will be none other than a resurrected Adric.

I think Big Finish beat you to that by a few years
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    I think Big Finish beat you to that by a few years

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-boy-that-time-forgot-276 - Adric as elderly sex pest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    The Controversial twist is obviously that all the Doctor since McGann are to be renumbered.
    Matt Smith isn't Eleven. He's actually Twelve.

This will undoubtedly divide fans.
    Sylvester McCoy remains the Doctor.... and simply experienced a moment of elation whilst being trapped within The Matrix, being tormented by Michael Jayeston as The Valeyard, where he dreamed he had regenerated into Paul McGann, until rescued by Ace.

However, getting back to the 2005+ series, it remains entirely non canon to the original 1963-89 series, which did feature female Time Lords (such as Mary Tamm and Lala Ward).

The only controversy from someone called Murray is that there will be no controversy.... Ecclestone remains Doctor #1, Tennant Doctor #2 and Smith Doctor #3.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    Sylvester McCoy remains the Doctor.... and simply experienced a moment of elation whilst being trapped within The Matrix, being tormented by Michael Jayeston as The Valeyard, where he dreamed he had regenerated into Paul McGann, until rescued by Ace.

However, getting back to the 2005+ series, it remains entirely non canon to the original 1963-89 series, which did feature female Time Lords (such as Mary Tamm and Lala Ward).

The only controversy from someone called Murray is that there will be no controversy.... Ecclestone remains Doctor #1, Tennant Doctor #2 and Smith Doctor #3.

As soon as I saw your name I knew you were going to come up with that old chesnut. :D

Give it up love, nobody's falling for it.