Options

Highest/Lowest Celeb slumming it at lowest Panto

barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
eg. Jeff Brazier at Thameside Theatre (Grays, Essex)
with Juliette Dean? who?

Can you do better ie worse

[Celeb to Agent:
Are you trying to tell me thats the only offer for panto we've had?]

Comments

• Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If panto is good enough for sir Ian Mc Kellen, it's good enough for anyone.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barclay55 wrote: »
    eg. Jeff Brazier at Thameside Theatre (Grays, Essex)
    with Juliette Dean? who?

Can you do better ie worse

[Celeb to Agent:
    Are you trying to tell me thats the only offer for panto we've had?]
    Panto is far from slumming it. The "names" involved get paid very well and kids are the hardest audience you'll ever deal with. Lose their interest and your show is dead in the water, so they'll be working hard for their fee.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even The Fonz does panto, so it must be cool:):kitty: I think the guy who plays Phil Mitchell gets leave from Eastenders to do panto each year, apparently the money is very good for some of the more well known people.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    People look down their noses at panto - but its probably one of the hardest of the theatrical things to get right. I think the whole panto thing has had a new lease of life over the last 15 years or so with the introduction of stars from the States and Australia taking part.

For anyone interested in who's in what - here's a site that says who's on and where. I think I'm going to make my way to Llandudno to see Cinderella - I love Jimmy Osmond.

http://www.pantomime.com/index.php

You'll notice that Liverpool isn't here - but if you're interested ( :D ) we have Claire Sweeney and Ray Quinn (I saw it on a sign at a bus stop in Liverpool yesterday). I can't remember what the panto is - but I know they're in it.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Linda Gray, of Dallas and Models Inc fame, is Fairy God(Grand)mother in Cinderella.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand people who judge famous people for doing panto>:( It's a job and it's just for fun so hardly slumming it>:(

Although the current panto in Wrexham is a massive let down compared to last year as it only has Lloyd Daniels again (X Factor) and the Go Compare man:(

Last year they had Lloyd and Les Battersby (Corrie).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They get paid a fair wack, and it's bringing joy to people. I bet it's loads of fun being involved in xmas pantos.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's good money and is great fun for those involved . Win win .
    It also has the advantage over 'proper' stage dramas in that if you fluff your lines or something goes amiss it can be glossed over or passed off as part of the show . What's not to like ?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing panto has become quite a big thing for those in the entertainment business. It's not regarded as the 'last resort' art form that it became seen as for a while. I'm nearly 45 and love pantos*!

(*awaits 'Oh no you don't!')
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of actors have made rubbish movies that they didn't really enjoy making, but people seem to look down on a fun job like doing panto.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't joe mcelderry paid £1000 per show for last year's panto spot?

If he can get that imagine what the top celebs are paid.
  • Options
    dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Brian Connely and gok wan in Cinderella rather looking forward to it haven't been to a panto in years
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the chuckle brothers WE WIN you cant beat the chuckle brothers
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Sherrie Hewson is in Hull, I agree with others though...its not the worst way for a celeb to make money. In Sherrie's case her 'career' is now Loose Women & Benidorm, so plenty of gaps to fill when those aren't filming.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good earner. Playing to packed audiences having fun sounds like a good job to me.

It's like singing on cruise ships. This is seen by some as the lowest of the low. Yet you have Alfie Boe / Katherine Jenkins / Andrea Bocelli et al doing shows on the big liners. Flown out for a few days. Again a good earner.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got Mark Moraghan who I used to quite fancy back in his Brookside days
  • Options
    Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Priscilla Presley is appearing at The Opera House Manchester in Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was in NY and picked up a couple of magazines to read on one of my long metro rides, it does seem clear that they really prize coming to the UK and working in panto.
    I think it's great. They don't see it as low key at all and love the response from the audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my daughter has been see Bobby Crush, Marc Baylis, Sonia & Jamie Rickers...She is 6 and went with the rainbows...I couldn't afford a ticket for me so waited outside in the car for two and half hours! She had no idea who anyone was & her friend was naughty :( she thought it would have been more fun with me! (so do I).
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the chuckle brothers WE WIN you cant beat the chuckle brothers

I see your chuckle bros and raise you Biggins and The Hoff.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is slumming it. Maybe they do it because they genuinely like interacting with a live audience? Panto is one of the oldest acting forms, so stop being bitter miserable sods about it.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I see your chuckle bros and raise you Biggins and The Hoff.

I put forward John Barrowman and The Krankies who are at the SECC in Glasgow
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorry the chuckles are the panto horses bollocks
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    If panto is good enough for sir Ian Mc Kellen, it's good enough for anyone.

Quite. We often forget amid all the showbiz celeb hype that actors act to earn a living. For every George Clooney there must be 1,000 jobbing actors, and because actors are so recognisable from film or, more likely, TV, many assume they are rolling in it. If it were thus. Like you and I they have bills to pay and have to work. Granted some might feel panto is 'beneath them' but in my experience it is only the bad and mediocre actors who are luvvie and precious. The good ones are pretty down to earth.