Highest/Lowest Celeb slumming it at lowest Panto

Comments

• Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nearest theatre is only small - the 'biggest' celeb I can recall is a few years back when we had Chico :D

This year we have Mark Labbett from ITV game show The Chase as 'Abanazar', and Britain’s Got Talent semi-finalist, comedian Ricky K as ‘Aladdin' :)

A few years ago we had a friend from Liberia and took him to the panto with us - he didn't 'get' it at all and walked out at the interval :blush:
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I put forward John Barrowman and The Krankies who are at the SECC in Glasgow

Yes, he's fitting it in the break between filming Arrow, like he did last year.

Apparently he won't be doing a Panto next year though as he wants to spend next Christmas with his elderly parents, which he hasn't been able to do for a long time as he's been doing panto for 10 years!
    (he explained in on Loose women last week)
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People look down their noses at panto - but its probably one of the hardest of the theatrical things to get right. I think the whole panto thing has had a new lease of life over the last 15 years or so with the introduction of stars from the States and Australia taking part.

For anyone interested in who's in what - here's a site that says who's on and where. I think I'm going to make my way to Llandudno to see Cinderella - I love Jimmy Osmond.

http://www.pantomime.com/index.php

You'll notice that Liverpool isn't here - but if you're interested ( :D ) we have Claire Sweeney and Ray Quinn (I saw it on a sign at a bus stop in Liverpool yesterday). I can't remember what the panto is - but I know they're in it.

I've got my tickets booked to see Jimmy Osmond at Llandudno....although my mum did ring me and tell me that Donny Osmond was in it.....!!
  • starkitten1982starkitten1982 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Our local pantomime has "singing legend" Linda Nolan as Mrs Fleshcreep.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read an article with Linda Gray and she said that she remembers Patrick Duffy had done one and told her it was the best and most fun acting job he had ever had. So that convinced her to do one too. Not only is it lucrative for the top earniers you get to be fabulously over the top and silly - what's not to like?
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local pantomime has "singing legend" Linda Nolan as Mrs Fleshcreep.

What an appropriate name
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been to a panto twice, once in 1980, Charlie Drake in Jack and the Beanstalk, and 1984 to see the wonderful Danny La Rue in Mother Goose, both shows were great fun, you can't beat a good panto.
  • DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have Curly Watts in our pantomime and some person from CBeebies lol
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh has the utterly crap Alan Stewart & Grant Stott, who you ask well the first one is a rather pathetic washed up hasbeen that passes for a parochial excuse for a comedian, the second is John Leslie's broth who is again a rather sad forlorn pathetic excuse for a parochial DJ and local shit stirrer.

Still I did once have the misfortune to see a rather horrendous creature named Dean Park who believes he is Scotland's number one entertainer when in reality he is so bland and unremarkable he bores the audience into sleep, the panto was at the pavilion in Glasgow and it was torture, this guy was stilted and nondescript.

I'd rather suffer Lee Mead in panto than these gruesome threesome, yukkk what a horrible thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    We have Eve Pollard performing at Sunderland's Empire theatre, along with PC Plum from Balamory and some bloke that used to be in Eastenders.

Don't remember the Panto. Snow White i think.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local panto ( only a small city) is Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo !

Haven't booked yet, but I'm hoping to see it at some point - I'm guessing there will be lots of 'Good Moaning' jokes, but reckon it will be lots of fun
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    I see your chuckle bros and raise you Biggins and The Hoff.

You must live near me :D
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Hasselhoff is doing Panto in Glasgow at the SECC in December 2015 replacing John Barrowman
  • ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edinburgh has the utterly crap Alan Stewart & Grant Stott, who you ask well the first one is a rather pathetic washed up hasbeen that passes for a parochial excuse for a comedian, the second is John Leslie's broth who is again a rather sad forlorn pathetic excuse for a parochial DJ and local shit stirrer.

Still I did once have the misfortune to see a rather horrendous creature named Dean Park who believes he is Scotland's number one entertainer when in reality he is so bland and unremarkable he bores the audience into sleep, the panto was at the pavilion in Glasgow and it was torture, this guy was stilted and nondescript.

I'd rather suffer Lee Mead in panto than these gruesome threesome, yukkk what a horrible thought.

Bloomin Dean Park, he always gave me the creeps.

We have Nina from Nina And The Neurons in ours. Kilmarnock has someone from River City, Liam Dolan and Craig Glover.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It's a good earner. Playing to packed audiences having fun sounds like a good job to me.

It's like singing on cruise ships. This is seen by some as the lowest of the low. Yet you have Alfie Boe / Katherine Jenkins / Andrea Bocelli et al doing shows on the big liners. Flown out for a few days. Again a good earner.

Not quite.......it might be ok for the likes of The Hoff, Fonz and other well known soap / TV leads but the rest of the cast will be lucky to break even unless they are living at home.
    The cast usually earn less in rehearsal week then the pay is increased when the show opens.
    Most people have to find accommodation unless they are performing in their home town. On top of paying for their accommodation they also have to pay rent where they live, many are lucky to break even.

My son is a perfect example of this, lives in greater London in rented flat, in panto in stockport. We priced up travel lodge for him but you can only get a 30 day period priced up and that would have cost over £1500, more than he would earn. He is there 8 weeks, luckily we had some inside knowledge and got him sorted with a rented room for £600 for 8 weeks. He is paying this on top of his rent and council tax back in London.
    Some poor beggers in the show rented a place, the landlord gave them Lilos to sleep on, they had no heating, no pans, plates or anything, got hassled by drug dealers and did a runner. They are now staying in a hotel at a big cost and have to pay for all meals which works out even more expensive.

It's hard work, two shows a day, varied between mornings, afternoon and evenings, short breaks between shows, not long enough to get back to digs between shows which means eating out or grabbing something from a food shop. They are long days.

Then their agent takes a % of their wages too.

Despite all of this, they all seem to enjoy it
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :Oh yes I am.
    I am going up to Leeds to see Snow White
    Why so far Natalie do I hear you cry out to me:p (or do I hear you cry ''Oh I did not cry out'':D )
    Why my friends I tell you it is because my fave singer Jonathan Ansell is the Prince
    Pantomine must be great fun to do
    To all whom will be going to Pantomine Have a safe journey and have a fun time
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sorry the chuckles are the panto horses bollocks

Fabulous!! :D:D:D:D
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh has the utterly crap Alan Stewart & Grant Stott, who you ask well the first one is a rather pathetic washed up has been that passes for a parochial excuse for a comedian, the second is John Leslie's broth who is again a rather sad forlorn pathetic excuse for a parochial DJ and local shit stirrer.

But it does have a Barrowman :D

Greg Barrowman, John's younger cousin, as Aladdin. He was actually quite good when I saw him at the SECC a few years ago when he took over the lead for several shows when JB was off sick . It was handy that they had a spare Barrowman around :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC1983 wrote: »
    We have Curly Watts in our pantomime and some person from CBeebies lol

Talk about wringing out the last drops of fame, they guy hasn't been on our screens since goodness knows when? Must be over ten years:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Talk about wringing out the last drops of fame, they guy hasn't been on our screens since goodness knows when? Must be over ten years:D

Well that what makes panto fun, old stars that have faded, but then do panto with all the old catch words and acts.. Brilliant. Saw 'The Fonz' a few years ago and we all waited for the thumps up sign... And then again a few years ago saw a legend.. The wonderful vicer from Dad's Army, still going strong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crissy rock is at stockport and all the adults cheered when she mentioned benidorm and I'm a celeb but at least she is a bit more current than curly. I've just looked at curly dressed up as Hook, you would never recognise him! He looks the part
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dottzie38 wrote: »
    We have Brian Connely and gok wan in Cinderella rather looking forward to it haven't been to a panto in years

Where's that at? Brian Conley is a great all-rounder. Gok Wan can get tae **** though.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Being used to the Glasgow pantos and their relatively well-known celebs, I remember when I moved to Edinburgh -- had no idea who those guys were. Still don't! Edinburgh is quite the bubble.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    We've got Mark Moraghan who I used to quite fancy back in his Brookside days

I saw him in a fantastic play about Liverpool football club in Dublin this year. He still has it....
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I want to see this one so much http://www.pantomime.com/darlington.php