Wizards Vs Aliens.

Comments

• BlackTarantulaBlackTarantula Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    What did everyone think of the finale 'All-Out War'?

I was disappointed that the Earth becoming 'a battleground in an intergalactic war' (as mentioned in the synopsis) didn't happen at all. I was expecting the synopsis to be false to be honest, since CBBC wouldn't have had the budget to show Kooth's forces attacking Earth's cities, but it's still annoying that the plot description was so misleading. Was hoping to see the battle actually hit the Earth and affect other series regulars like Katie, Quinn and Benny's parents, but alas, it didn't happen.

Concentrating more on what the episode did get right, I thought the closure for Lexi was wonderful. I was dreading the prospect of her becoming human at some stage because then she and Tom would get serious and there'd be no more romantic tension (which kind of has to be somewhat present in Tom's life since he's still only, what, 17 - too soon to settle down). I figured killing her off would be best but the twist here was even better since she was given her 'aged-up' body from The Thirteenth Floor and reunited with Benny Jr. instead of being made into a teenage love interest for Tom. It worked, so well done to Russell T Davies and co. for handling her fate in an interesting and unexpected way.

Two other bullets which were just about dodged: Ursula's fake-out death and the near cop-out that was Tom being drained by magic only to get it back again. I can forgive the latter because he drank the raw magic vial, which should technically have given him enough juice to make him as powerful as before this two-parter if not more so. The former is a bit harder to overlook because it was a bit too convenient that Ursula was saved and the home restored by magic from the afterlife, but it was too soon for Ursula's actress to leave the show anyway so better let that pass too. :p

Benny's sexuality came as a surprise. Had to wonder from Tom's comment about Benny getting that date if the writers are thinking of developing a romance here... though that wouldn't make much sense since episodes like The Thirteenth Floor have confirmed that Tom is heterosexual.

Nice to see Kooth's forces owned by the Wizards vs. Aliens equivalent of Bad Wolf! If the show gets a third series, it would be nice to see some new aliens arrive on the scene. Varg and the Nekross king are not going to lay waste to the Earth with Lexi and Benny Jr. down there, even if they do remain baddies, so a status quo change with a new alien menace taking centre stage would be cool.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Okay, that finale was bloody fantastic.

Yes, there were some moments where I thought we've seen this before, namely Tom going all Bad Wolf on the Nekross but it was still a satisfying moment to watch nonetheless.

I totally called Lexi becoming human and reuniting with Benny Jr as well. I'm glad for her. Won't lie.

Benny coming out to Tom was beautifully done. Kudos to the CBBC and to Tom for wanting to get Benny a date as well.

Ursula, I really did think she was going to die and I was kind of fine with it but I'm glad she survived though.

I still think this show needs to lose the Nekross but they had some great moments in this one I'll admit, 8/10
  • Alan51Alan51 Posts: 3,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though the Benny coming out scene was extremely well written and both actors were great in it; Tom's comment "That's great Benny" will really help a lot of young people in the same situation as Benny. Also well done to the BBC/CBBC for including this in the story line; attitudes are finally changing for the better.
    Forum Member
    Alan51 wrote: »
    I though the Benny coming out scene was extremely well written and both actors were great in it; Tom's comment "That's great Benny" will really help a lot of young people in the same situation as Benny. Also well done to the BBC/CBBC for including this in the story line; attitudes are finally changing for the better.

I agree. Definitely kudos to CBBC and RTD as well as Percelle Ascott.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say the finale was very average, it didn't really feel like a strong episode to bow out on. Very little interested me and it was a bit predicitable in most parts. What I liked the most was the Lexi twist, it was good to give the character some closure by going back to human and seeing her be reunited with Benny Jr was nice. I also though Benny coming out was a bit of a surprise, I didn't actually expect it but it was still a good scene and it was great that Tom gave him support and enthusiasm about the news. The friendship has really grown. (Earlier this year, they revealed that Luke would have come out in Sarah Jane Adventures so I should have guessed it would happen on this show as they reused some SJA material). Does anyone think there's a possibility of Benny and Quinn getting close?

I actually agree with BlackTarantula about having the war enter the earth, I think it would have revealed a fierce battle to the whole world, leaving their loved ones in danger (e.g parents, Kate, Quinn etc). I think they missed a really good oppourtinity to spice things up there. Series 2 of Wizards Vs Aliens is defintiely an improvement from the first one but I'm still finding it hard to get into the show. There have been some good episodes but it's still lacking oomph and somewhat strength. It's a bit all over the place sometimes and the fights against the Nekross are just too repetitive for my liking.

If there will be a third series, then I hope they mix things up a bit by losing the Nekross. I decided to give this seires a chance this year and so far, it's a a bit in the middle. I didn't really care for the first few episodes of Series 2, but the latter episodes were really good.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One interesting thing about the last two episodes was the revelation about aspects of Nekross society.

When Chancellor Kooth was broadcasting to Nekron about the contest between Varg and Lexi she mentioned two names of what I assume were tribes/clan who lived on certain parts of the planet.

Secondly Varg was shocked that Jathro was Kooth's son "a white skin giving birth to a red skin". This suggested that the skin colour of a Nekross was a signifyer of caste or status and that interbreeding between the castes is frowned upon

Yellow = Royalty
    White = Politicians
    Red = Techinicians

We never saw the skin colour of the guards so perhaps they would be yet another colour
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    One interesting thing about the last two episodes was the revelation about aspects of Nekross society.

When Chancellor Kooth was broadcasting to Nekron about the contest between Varg and Lexi she mentioned two names of what I assume were tribes/clan who lived on certain parts of the planet.

Secondly Varg was shocked that Jathro was Kooth's son "a white skin giving birth to a red skin". This suggested that the skin colour of a Nekross was a signifyer of caste or status and that interbreeding between the castes is frowned upon

Yellow = Royalty
    White = Politicians
    Red = Techinicians

We never saw the skin colour of the guards so perhaps they would be yet another colour

I thought that was a very nice touch and something that could be explored further later. It's so good how this show has the bottle to bring up such issues, as well as the revelation that Benny is gay. As has been said already, it's not really a surprise, especially when we know they were going to do that with Luke on SJA.

I really enjoyed the finale actually. You could definitely tell Russell T Davies wrote this as it contained many of his hallmarks! Not least the cliffhangers and their resolution as well as Tom going all Bad Wolf style. Though I loved all that, it was like a throwback to RTD era Doctor Who. What Russell never fails to find is that emotional connection amongst the flashes and bangs. Incidentally, this is the first major writing he has done since stepping away from it all due to his partner's illness. It's great to have him back! :)

Roll on series 3!!!
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Annette Badland is joining Eastenders.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a537446/eastenders-casts-timothy-west-annette-badland-as-new-carters.html

Hope she can still do series 3, should they do it.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I hope they also confirm whether or not a third series is happening too. Preferably soon.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Yeah, I hope they also confirm whether or not a third series is happening too. Preferably soon.

A third series is happening, but it will be a reduced run, because Freemantle Media, which co-produced the first two series, has closed its children's department … so the budget will be reduced.

For that reason, I'd expect the Nekross to return. New aliens don't come cheap … ;-)

But there is a new twist now that Lexi is human - so I don't think their return is necessarily a bad thing.

Some great writing in the last six episodes - yes, a few familiar tricks, but still head and shoulders above the fan-obsessed mess Doctor Who has turned into.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    A third series is happening, but it will be a reduced run, because Freemantle Media, which co-produced the first two series, has closed its children's department … so the budget will be reduced.

For that reason, I'd expect the Nekross to return. New aliens don't come cheap … ;-)

But there is a new twist now that Lexi is human - so I don't think their return is necessarily a bad thing.

Some great writing in the last six episodes - yes, a few familiar tricks, but still head and shoulders above the fan-obsessed mess Doctor Who has turned into.

That's a shame about Freemantle. What is the world coming to?? At least there's actually going to be a 3rd series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 3 starts on 27th October at 5:30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Series 3 starts on 27th October at 5:30

Awesome. :)
  • Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first two series of this was shite.

I'm giving it another chance though.

18: 11 EDIT: I've already switched over after 40 minutes, just doesn't interest me in the slightest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I just switched back and caught the last part.

Saw Tom naked...revealed his beautiful body. Very hot!:blush: Maybe I'll give it another try next week.
    Forum Member
    That scene was lifted from Buffy but it was great.

Good opening episode. Varg's wife is interesting too.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I don't understand all the hate for this show. It's obviously a kid's show, and has none of the pretenses of Doctor Who.

It's great fun, when you accept exactly what it is. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    I don't understand all the hate for this show. It's obviously a kid's show, and has none of the pretenses of Doctor Who.

It's great fun, when you accept exactly what it is. :kitty:

It just hasn't really interested me which is why I didn't enjoy the past two series. Struggled to get into it. Series 2 showed some promise but only the 3 later episodes were decent while the rest was pretty poor and subpar.

Too repetitive for my liking and not very engaging. It's been a bit rough around the edges but because of what's in store for the current series, I've decided to give it another chance.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some of the first series and wiki is telling me that the female alien had a romance with Tom, turned into a human and they had a baby?!!!

Beat that Eastenders.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    I saw some of the first series and wiki is telling me that the female alien had a romance with Tom, turned into a human and they had a baby?!!!

Beat that Eastenders.

That was the fifth story for the second series.

It was called "The Thirteenth Floor" where Tom and Lexi had a baby together in the Neverside. I would recommend you watch this episode since it's one of the best stories for the show.

Originally, this was supposed to be the fifth story for series 5 of The Sarah Jane Adventures but never commenced due to Elisabeth Sladen's unfortunate passing. Russel T Davies decided to rewrite it for this show especially because it was "too good" to let go of.

I believe Russell has no involvement with this current series though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Beat that Eastenders.

What's Eastenders got to do with this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that there's now a Nekross who can use magic rather than eat it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is Benny leaving because Pernelle Ascott wanted to leave or is Pernelle leaving because Benny was written out?

Anyway from the trailer for next week it looks as if Katie will be the new main sidekick

Presumably Varg was recast because Jefferson Hall was busy with Vikings
  • Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me please why the second season of this has not been released either on bluray or on DVD? Thanks.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Were the sound levels cocked up for anyone else?

The music levels were just so loud...