French fries or traditional chips?

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
Until recently I'd always go for the traditional chip but lately I've been switching to french fries.

Perhaps because it's easier to scoff a load of french fries whereas if you do that with chips you just get indigestion.:)

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I love McDonalds fries. :) I could eat them all the time. unhealthy though. :o
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    French friess don't taste of anything.Give me old fashioned fat chips any day.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Depends what i'm eating them with. I have strange thoughts about food combos and also go through phases.

e.g.
    I wouldn't have french fries for fish n chips.
    but when having a burger I prefer french fries.

If I was to make chips to eat by them selves then I would probably make proper chips deep fried in dripping, either that or mini roasties.

If i'm having chips, cheese & garlic or chips & bolognaise then I prefer straight cut frozen chips.

I don't like BK fries but I do like McCain Southern Fries
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they both have their place (if cooked correctly).

Like degsy, I prefer fat chips with something like fish and chips but fries are great with a burger.

KFC fries are horrid though. 9 times out of 10 they are soggy and not good.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditional thick-cut chips are much better for you since they get cooked in the oil, without actually blotting it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I love a good fat fish and chip shop chip I wouldn't really enjoy it so much with, say, steak which for me just 'goes' better with thin chips. Maybe it's something about the meat juices.

On the other hand I'd much prefer a trad fish and chip shop chip with, er battered fish! Maybe it's the vinegar.

I agree about KFC chips - they seem to steam in the packaging and come out floppy. Also the packet salt they give you falls off them whereas the salt sticks onto the (admittedly very fatty and salty) McD's variety.

My unfavourites are the ones you get sometimes in pubs with value meals - they're fat like Beefeater chips but taste of nothing and have a slightly powdery texture inside. And when they've got blackened burnt corners... well just don't get me started!
    :D
  • Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the beer battered oven chips best, 2nd place "Steakhouse Style" chips
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them all but the thinner they are the sooner they go cold so you have to wolf 'em down, not that that is a problem. I only use the scales one leg at a time now.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me the large steak chips anyday, than the spindly thin french fries!!! They make more of a meal, especially with steak and also with beer-battered cod!!!:D:D:D:D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Much prefer french fries, the thick chips fill me up too much and I often find them tasteless.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer my homemade paprika,salt+pepper wedges :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chips. Preferably crinkle cut chips. :)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    French friess don't taste of anything.Give me old fashioned fat chips any day.

you got it right. a couple of weeks ago I was in Cardiff and decided to have a Burger King and some fries, the burger was okish as far as fast food goes, better than Mucky d anyway, but the fries was tasteless.

I have not been in a Mucky D for over 20 years and in a Burger king for over 4 years, they used to do proper chips, now they gone for the rubbish fries.

Best chips is your own pealed and sliced spuds, done in beef dripping.
    Forum Member
    My unfavourites are the ones you get sometimes in pubs with value meals - they're fat like Beefeater chips but taste of nothing and have a slightly powdery texture inside. And when they've got blackened burnt corners... well just don't get me started!
    :D
    Basically oven cooked frozen chips. The same that the takeaways use but atleast they deep fry them.

As I said, I like those chips for takeaway type dishes. Somehow they just seem right.
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'd like Burger King chips all time. With everything, Yum.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burger King Fries are amazing, I love the coating on them.

As has already been said, all chips have their place.

If I had to choose just one style forever though, it would be the kind I had almost everywhere in New York, French Fries BUT with skin on the tips of them all, SOOO Tasty!
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with those who are saying that it depends on what you're eating them with.
    Fish and chips wouldn't be right if done with fries.

But I have to say, in all other situations I'll choose fries. For me it's not necessarily about taste, it'sabout texture. I like a crispy chip/fry, and our traditional ones don't provide that.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chips all the way.

As others said, fries don't taste of anything (except fryer fat)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As has already been said, all chips have their place.

If I had to choose just one style forever though, it would be the kind I had almost everywhere in New York, French Fries BUT with skin on the tips of them all, SOOO Tasty!

I would not go as far to say that Burger Kings fries are amazing, I don't think I would get excited about them.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    petral_gal wrote: »
    i'd like Burger King chips all time. With everything, Yum.

Yeah they're really nice, haven't had any in ages though :( This thread's making me hungry :o
    Forum Member
    For some reason I don't like them. I didn't like them when they first appeared (was it BK King Fries?).

The strange thing is though is I like McCain Southern Fries with my steak and salad ;)

http://www.mccain.co.uk/our-food/chips/southern-fries/why-its-good.aspx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Basically oven cooked frozen chips. The same that the takeaways use but atleast they deep fry them.

As I said, I like those chips for takeaway type dishes. Somehow they just seem right.

Ah, oven chips... that explains the annoying 'catching' round the edges. Thanks for the info!

:)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For some reason I don't like them. I didn't like them when they first appeared (was it BK King Fries?).

The strange thing is though is I like McCain Southern Fries with my steak and salad ;)

http://www.mccain.co.uk/our-food/chips/southern-fries/why-its-good.aspx

i love how in your link to oven chips it talks about making your own homemade burgers! :eek: wtf is that about, when homemade oven chips only take 25mins to cook anyway? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I know the ones you mean! For some reason I think they taste even better eaten out of a little zinc or terracotta flowerpot lined with newsprint greaseproof paper... In fact thinking about it, they're the only chips I don't mind going bendy in the middle as they're usually so long, skinny and darned tasty.

Flowerpots?! I'm so suggestible, I'm a restaurateur's dream.

Drool.
    Forum Member
    i love how in your link to oven chips it talks about making your own homemade burgers! :eek: wtf is that about, when homemade oven chips only take 25mins to cook anyway? :confused:
    Maybe on the Birdseye burger page they have a recipe for making your own chips :D