state of todays music

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it, though?

for every Rolling stones in the charts in the 60s there was a Matt Monro.

Of course certain elements of music have always been about rebellion and creating new music and fashion to a minority, but it is a very watered down "product" that appeals to the masses.

Record labels in the past would sign an artist with a view to long term reward, today if there isn't an instant return they are dropped so there is no development of new talent by the major labels. Someone like Kate Bush wouldn't have the career she has had if she was starting out today.

Radio today is the same. In the past radio DJs had more freedom to play what they wanted so new music and new bands had more chance to be heard by the mainstream. Today playlists are so narrow, and played in strict rotation with little deviation, that it is very difficult for any new band to get airplay.

Even 6 Music, which I first started listening to @ 10 years ago now, has gone that way. In the past you would hear a song by, say, Sons and Daughters, followed by, say, Mastodon, and then maybe Bob Marley. Today 95% of their output is "indie-lite" on strict rotation with the only real exception being Sundays.

well obviously i was referring to youth culture and not 'mums' music.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I agree... and I've found the best way to find it is to ride the youtube recommends train. You'll find some extremely strange pairings.

Gesu no Kiwami Otome - Killer Ball (band name means something like "the height of a maiden's vulgarity").

Combination of Jazz, Rap, Shoegaze, and they even throw in a classical interlude for good measure.

Musically it's interesting stuff, a little reminiscent of the fusion/world music experiments around the early 80s. In itself this doesn't of course constitute a major youth movement but that's where it might go.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I don;t really know about that.

Nu-metal was/is a mixture of metal (light admittedly, in most cases) and rap.

The Klaxons and Enter Shikari mix genres (the latter are a pretty heavy band too).

Nu-metal is undiluted shoite though, to be fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Many of you sound like the new puritan in the Mark E Smith song.

The point is that how open to change are fans of Metal or other genres?
    I think these are conservative, retrospective times in the story of pop music.

In the development of pop the 50s and 60s may be characterised as eras of great social change and upheaval with unparalleled affluence. On the other hand the 00s and 10s might be seen as periods of conservatism and risk aversion this time fuelled by austerity.

I think these conservative cultural values permeate more than just the radio stations mentioned here, they are part of the music too. That might explain a resistance to change in fans and a reluctance to experiment amongst artists and record companies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    People have always looked back and said something along the lines of 'what is this rubbish, not as good as back in my day etc...'

If you don't like today's music, you're just getting old...
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have always looked back and said something along the lines of 'what is this rubbish, not as good as back in my day etc...'

Or maintaining good taste.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm getting old and I can't get enough of all the great new music there is :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Clichéd, platitudinous, trite..... and garbage.

I'm getting old and I can't get enough of all the great new music there is :p

But you're the one who says taste in music is entirely subjective. So what can be 'great' about any of it, that's just your personal view?
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Just listening to the radio, never heard such rubbish.where are all the different genres of music.

Yeah, I feel your pain, OP; Music Radio in this country can be pretty poor. I stopped listening to it a few years back.

What you need to do is get yourself a Spotify account; best thing I ever did. Check out some of the great playlists people put together on there...like mine! Just updated the weekly new releases' playlist and added some Brian Eno, Magic Bones, Dolly Parton and The Saturdays: www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

All killer - No filler, as I believe the young people say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Clichéd, platitudinous, trite..... and garbage.

Winner.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lazy, clichéd statement. There is some good stuff around today, but there isn't anything like the amount of creativity nor the appreciation of quality like 30 0r 40 + years ago. The huge slump in album sales over the past decade and general poorer attendances at concerts and live gigs is all evidence of this.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I dunno but I put the music channels on today for the first time in a few years and was shocked at how awful the music was! :o So much novelty and too many generic thudding club songs. Quality is lacking in the charts but no matter to me as I don't listen to chart music no longer.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

Well, I like groups such as Korn, Linkin Park, and Slipknot (all of whuch have been described as nu-metal groups at various times).

Beastie Boys have been critically acclaimed by many and they played a mix of rap and rock. They were probably one of the pioneers of nu-metal. Faith no More were another.

Of course, nu-metal is not really current.
    My point is that rock music does not have to be totallly self-contained. Many rock fans aren;t totally insular
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winner.

And also ironic since the same response can be leveled at the "today's music is all rubbish" bollocks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Lazy, clichéd statement. There is some good stuff around today, but there isn't anything like the amount of creativity nor the appreciation of quality like 30 0r 40 + years ago. The huge slump in album sales over the past decade and general poorer attendances at concerts and live gigs is all evidence of this.

Just like the OP about "the state of today's music"

Jesus wept
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

They have just been announced for this year's Sonisphere. It will be very interesting to see how they go down!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    It's been worse. I think mainstream music is a lot better now than it was a few years ago. 2009-2011 was the all time low for mainstream music.

Stations like Capital and Radio 1 don't play much rock music (or in Capital's case, none at all), because you can't mix it with any of the other genres. Rock fans don't want to listen to a station that's 50% pop/dance/hip hop songs. Radio stations gain absolutely nothing from playing rock music anymore. The rock fans will listen to a radio station which is 100% rock. This leads to the mainstream stations not playing any rock, since the rock fans won't listen to them anyway, as most of them can't stand R&B, house, pop, hip hop, drum & bass, etc.

Why not? They used to in the 1960 - '90s. :confused::confused:

Music fans rarely only like a single genre of music to the total exclusion of anything else. However the fact the likes of Radio 1 seem to refuse to play any rock music, despite its obvious popularity amongst it's target audience, means that those who aren't out and out rock fans are missing out on hearing many "radio-friendly" rock bands they may well like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well obviously i was referring to youth culture and not 'mums' music.

I know, I just couldn't resist throwing Matt Monro in there.... ;):D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many of you sound like the new puritan in the Mark E Smith song.

The point is that how open to change are fans of Metal or other genres?
    I think these are conservative, retrospective times in the story of pop music.

In the development of pop the 50s and 60s may be characterised as eras of great social change and upheaval with unparalleled affluence. On the other hand the 00s and 10s might be seen as periods of conservatism and risk aversion this time fuelled by austerity.

I think these conservative cultural values permeate more than just the radio stations mentioned here, they are part of the music too. That might explain a resistance to change in fans and a reluctance to experiment amongst artists and record companies.

I think Metal fans are much more open to new music than their stereotype would suggest.

Skindred for example, have a 90% Metal following and they are a real mish mash of genres underpinned by Metal, and they are phenominal live!! :D

However "Metal", to use a generic genre, is so vast now with a myriad of sub-genres and many of those also have sub-genres, that you can spend your life exploring Metal and never cover it all.

If you take one sub-genre, for example, Symphonic Metal, there are hundreds, if not the low thousands, of bands just in that one sub-genre and there are said to be at least 10 clearly recognised Metal sub-genres..

But in reality "Nu-metal" was shoite...... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

However the "huge slump" in CD album sales, although that is subjective because some genres have been far more affected than others, has been offset by the increase in digital and, ironically, vinyl sales.

I think gig attendances are also to some extent genre specific. I go to a lot of rock and metal gigs, I've probably avagaged one a month for the last 30 odd years, and most of the gigs I go to today are, as a rough average, well over 80% full, the majoroty are pretty much sold out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Metal fans are much more open to new music than their stereotype would suggest.

Skindred for example, have a 90% Metal following and they are a real mish mash of genres underpinned by Metal, and they are phenominal live!! :D

However "Metal", to use a generic genre, is so vast now with a myriad of sub-genres and many of those also have sub-genres, that you can spend your life exploring Metal and never cover it all.

If you take one sub-genre, for example, Symphonic Metal, there are hundreds, if not the low thousands, of bands just in that one sub-genre and there are said to be at least 10 clearly recognised Metal sub-genres..

But in reality "Nu-metal" was shoite...... :D

I'm not entirely sure about the value of so many genres and whether the differences warrant so many sub-genres but yes it may be an indicator of a willingness to accept something new. We'll see how Babymetal go down in the summer. And if that Asian connection has a future.

Nu-metal really does get a bad rap here.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see what you did there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    I see what you did there!

Lol :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure about the value of so many genres and whether the differences warrant so many sub-genres but yes it may be an indicator of a willingness to accept something new. We'll see how Babymetal go down in the summer. And if that Asian connection has a future.

Sam Dunn's Metal Evolution is an 11 part documentary looking at this.

As the synopsis on IMDb begins...
    Metal Evolution presents 11 episodes based on the ground-breaking Heavy Metal Family Tree. This 26 sub-genre genealogical chart reveals the vast complex progeny of heavy metal from Early Metal and Shock Rock to Thrash, from Progressive Metal to Grunge and Nu Metal.

The problem Nu-metal had was it was very much hype over substance and the one thing cynical metal fans are very good at, it is seeing through hype.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? They used to in the 1960 - '90s. :confused::confused:

Music fans rarely only like a single genre of music to the total exclusion of anything else. However the fact the likes of Radio 1 seem to refuse to play any rock music, despite its obvious popularity amongst it's target audience, means that those who aren't out and out rock fans are missing out on hearing many "radio-friendly" rock bands they may well like.

Yeah, there are some rock groups that are very radio-friendly yet are never heard on BBC radio stations.

Alter Bridge and Shinedown spring immediately to mind.