Eastenders christmas episode: What was so wrong with it?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean Wicks was still alive at the end.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Linda revealing all to Mick on Xmas day. I don't believe that she would have been that selfish. She's kept it to herself up until now and she could have accepted his proposal and tried to make the day great for her kids. It just seemed a bit out of character.

Equally the reveal with Shirley didn't have to happen then but it made more sense because Shirley is less considerate as a character than Linda.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no worse than the posts which state that the critics expected Mick to batter Dean for the entire episode.

I have not seen posts saying they wanted a whole episode of Mick beating up Dean, what i have seen are posts saying that the reveal should have been the end of the Christmas Eve episode with the Christmas day episode featuring half hour of build up and a half hour of showdown with Mick VS Dean. Shirleys reveal should have been left till tonight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    What I disliked about it:

- the whole "don't hit him he's your brother" line was so so predictable
    - it felt very unrealistic that Mick wouldn't go after Dean straight away and would sit there eating Xmas dinner
    - there was no light/comic relief (perhaps Mitchells would have been best for this?)
    - the "grisly" present was a big let down for me and it seemed to be brushed over too easily by those around the table, especially Emma
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been n the forums for a while so I didn't know all the spoilers. I knew Linda would tell Mick, but not that Shirley would find out, believe Dean or reveal that they were brothers.

I found the episode quite slow paced and dull at points. The scenes between Mick and Linda were excellent, well scripted and well acted, very poignant and believable.

I think its a shame they went down the route of Shirley believing Dean and storming back to the Vic - but i feel that more for the impact on viewers and the fear rape victims have of speaking out.

I also think its a shame they chose to have the Shirley/Mick reveal in this episode. It feels like this will overshadow the rape storyline, which they have covered so well up until now.

The Beale/Branning and Cotton scenes felt shoehorned into the episode and very out of place. I understand they were supposed to be a counterbalance - the regular family christmas type thing, with no drama, but it felt out of place amongst the carter scenes.

I didn't know about the 'grisly present' left under the christmas tree, so watching it, it felt very low key and quite odd. No one heard that music before? Music boxes need wound and they don't play with the lid shut. Perhaps there is more to come from that?

The Lauren/Jane thing smacked of lies, but i can't work which one or both of them may be lying. However, i think the focus on the video is the wrong place. Emma will eventually look at the foreground and see Jay in his west ham beanie, remember the bus appeal for the man wearing a west ham beanie who never came forward and put two and two together.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    We as viewers know more than Shirley does. It's so unfair to judge her without bearing that in mind. Mick was bound to believe Linda but it's different for Shirley who isn't close to Linda, also Dean is very convincing and Shirley doesn't want to let him down again.

Neither Danny Dyer or Linda Henry are leaving the show so there's time for a Mick/Shirley reconciliation somewhere in the future. I think Mick was always going to reject Shirley for lying to him his whole life so the rape hasn't made much difference in that regard.

I agree. Shirley wasn't around for the aftermath either and didn't see Linda's unusual behaviour. We are watching as viewers and we have seen things that Shirley wouldn't have seen, obviously. It is realistic that she would believe her son over Linda, but the backlash from the audience who don't think about the whole picture isn't going to be good.

I heard Danny Dyer isn't leaving, he has been quite vocal about his plans to stay long term, but hadn't heard anything about Linda Henry. I'm glad she isn't leaving, is it confirmed that she is staying on for the foreseeable?:)

True, it was evident that Mick would reject or be angry at Shirley when he found out the truth, even Shirley knew that she would lose him if he found out but I don't know if Shirley believing Dean would be a step too far and burn the bridges completely with her family. It would seem silly to create a family for her and then alienate her from them so I am hopeful for a reconciliation between them sometime in the future. Also there is where Buster will fit in when Karl Howman returns. (I hope he will become a permanent fixture, Shirley needs someone who has her back, he is Mick and Deans dad and also he is a great character).
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We as viewers know more than Shirley does. It's so unfair to judge her without bearing that in mind. Mick was bound to believe Linda but it's different for Shirley who isn't close to Linda, also Dean is very convincing and Shirley doesn't want to let him down again.

Neither Danny Dyer or Linda Henry are leaving the show so there's time for a Mick/Shirley reconciliation somewhere in the future. I think Mick was always going to reject Shirley for lying to him his whole life so the rape hasn't made much difference in that regard.
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Yep, the posts from those who dislike Shirley are predictable and her reaction is now just being used as a way to bash her.

She wouldn't have won either way with some but I just hope this doesn't ostracise Shirley from the Carters/Mick completely. Will be interesting to see how she does find out the truth and her reaction. I am hoping it is sooner rather than later.

You can not say those who hate Shirley are just using this to bash her. Loads of people regardless were not happy with her. Its understandable she would be like this but it more understanable Mick,Tina, Stan and the kids would want nothing to do with her or Dean noy just for rape but for lying to them all.
    Forum Member
    If the episode had been non-stop action and violence you would have got even more people saying they were sensationalising the issue. It was a fine balancing act between keeping regular viewers who're invested in Mick and Linda's relationship and casuals wanting action and violence happy. Ultimately the show couldn't win.

This. I think there was a few pacing issues at points but either way, the show couldn't win, no matter how they decided to play it out.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Shirley had no need to reveal they were siblings.
    No? Not even to stop her one son battering the hell out of her other son?
    Anybody who says otherwise is an obsessed 'fanboy' in denial.
    So no-one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours?
    Forum Member
    You can not say those who hate Shirley are just using this to bash her. Loads of people regardless were not happy with her. Its understandable she would be like this but it more understanable Mick,Tina, Stan and the kids would want nothing to do with her or Dean noy just for rape but for lying to them all.

I was meaning that those who don't like her have jumped at the chance to bash her because of this without looking at the full story. I like Shirley but I admit that I don't like that they have done this either, even though it is a realistic reaction. I don't think they would 'disown' Shirley for lying about Mick, she was just a kid at the time, the choice was taken away from her and you can tell Babe has had a big hand in why Shirley hasn't told Mick before now. Having said that I could see Mick and Stan being pretty angry at her and Babe for keeping quiet.
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C_N1 wrote: »
    What I disliked about it:

- the whole "don't hit him he's your brother" line was so so predictable
    - it felt very unrealistic that Mick wouldn't go after Dean straight away and would sit there eating Xmas dinner
    - there was no light/comic relief (perhaps Mitchells would have been best for this?)
    - the "grisly" present was a big let down for me and it seemed to be brushed over too easily by those around the table, especially Emma

My family found the cottons scenes funny
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

So no-one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours?

I don't think Shirley would have been happy with her brother battering her son either.

And no, not when it is an absurd one.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode. It was no 'You Ain't My Mutha' but 'He's Your Brutha' will definitely be remembered. I am looking more forward to tonight's aftermath though.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was nothing wrong with the acting. It was just too predictable and it didn't feel like a Christmas day episode.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    It was absolutely fine. A good solid 'build up' episode with tensions over the Christmas table as relatives that don't really like each other much are forced to break bread together.

It is just that EE has improved so much in the last 18 months or so that people were expecting an exceptional Christmas Day episode - another 'Marry Christmas Ange' or Stax reveal and it didn't quite hit that height. But then, we haven't seen all of it yet - most of the fall out will be tonight. Again, if you remember 86 and 07, the first episode was quite quiet with everything blowing up in the second episode. Really, we're getting the 'second' episode tonight and it can't really be judged until that has aired.

Finally, it just has been over hyped which is a big problem with EE over the past few years. They make it virtually impossible for them to live up to all the 'best Christmas episode ever', 'everyone is going to be talking about it', 'things will never be the same again' publicity they put out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    It was absolutely fine. A good solid 'build up' episode with tensions over the Christmas table as relatives that don't really like each other much are forced to break bread together.

It is just that EE has improved so much in the last 18 months or so that people were expecting an exceptional Christmas Day episode - another 'Marry Christmas Ange' or Stax reveal and it didn't quite hit that height. But then, we haven't seen all of it yet - most of the fall out will be tonight. Again, if you remember 86 and 07, the first episode was quite quiet with everything blowing up in the second episode. Really, we're getting the 'second' episode tonight and it can't really be judged until that has aired.

Finally, it just has been over hyped which is a big problem with EE over the past few years. They make it virtually impossible for them to live up to all the 'best Christmas episode ever', 'everyone is going to be talking about it', 'things will never be the same again' publicity they put out.

Very true, kat. After the diaster that was 2013, this year is ending pretty well for EE, and that is largely because of the Carters. I wonder how next Xmas will look, after two years of being established characters.
  • dequeendequeen Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an avid watcher of EE. Will dip into it now and again and when the family are watching it.

Anyway the problem for me is while as many have said, it nothing to do with the actual performances by the main four involved in the SL but for me it just felt too similar to the Zoe/Kat reveal with so much less of the impact.

I would have wished that one of Mick's parents/grandparents had shouted it out instead so it would have been slightly different to the Zoe/Kat reveal. They just played around with the words in the end and that was the only difference.
    Shirley saying it just felt so anti-climate. The way she said it, the tone of her voice, the lack of emotion (IMO) behind it just made it feel flat to me.

Still I will watch tonight just to see the outcome of the reveal.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd of liked to see more of the Cottons to be honest, that current setup is comedy gold and would happily watch a whole 30 minutes of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dequeen wrote: »
    I'm not an avid watcher of EE. Will dip into it now and again and when the family are watching it.

Anyway the problem for me is while as many have said, it nothing to do with the actual performances by the main four involved in the SL but for me it just felt too similar to the Zoe/Kat reveal with so much less of the impact.

I would have wished that one of Mick's parents/grandparents had shouted it out instead so it would have been slightly different to the Zoe/Kat reveal. They just played around with the words in the end and that was the only difference.
    Shirley saying it just felt so anti-climate. The way she said it, the tone of her voice, the lack of emotion (IMO) behind it just made it feel flat to me.

Still I will watch tonight just to see the outcome of the reveal.

You've hit the nail on the head there. It wasn't a bad episode, but it kind of felt like 'He's Your Brutha', a bad sequel/parody of 'You Ain't My Mutha'. They could've been a lot more inventive with the reveal. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they'd dealt with the 'Brother Reveal' at NY, and left the 'Rape Reveal' for Christmas. There's too much happening all at once.
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy it and yes the acting was good but the hype promised a big explosion and all we got was a little pop!

Exactly.

I suspect the explosion is tonight, which seems off - the big episode should be on Christmas Day or New Year's Eve (which is Ronnie and Charlie's wedding).

The episode was over-hyped, not just on here but in the media
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-spoiler-pictures-beales-eerie-4759715
    [URL="http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/16/eastenders-spoilers-cindy-beale-gets-a-shock-when-she-opens-a-creepy-present-on-christmas-day-but-is-it-from-lucys-killer-4989849/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/544144/EastEnders-spoiler-The-Carters-reveal-secrets-explosive-Christmas-Day-episode[/URL]
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The fact that they are brothers was irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I don't think Shirley would have been happy with her brother battering her son either.
    Probably not, but unknown brother to unknbown brother might have been worse.
    And no, not when it is an absurd one.
    Absurd in your opinion, which does not make it true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    First off, I disagree.

Second, she would have shouted something regardless. Any mother/sister would have (seeing as she would not have been aware of the reason why Mick was hitting Dean).

Still, opinions are opinions, we all have them.
  • KrstiKrsti Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I liked the episode. The part where Linda finally told the truth and Mock instantly believed her was worth waiting for. The storyline of Linda being Mick's mother has always been unnecessary In my opinion,there was all ready enough drama with the Carters. Overall it was a good episode.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

I kind of agree. My comment last night was "why does it matter if he is his nephew or his brother? He's still raped his wife but it would still upset other members of the family (Shirley, Stan mainly) that love Dean so don't want him beaten up or worse.