Options

The Game

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verrillion wrote: »
    Disappointed at the sad lack of any type or realism. Don't people know the difference between MI5 and MI6 as the leads actions in a affair overseas was a action done by MI6 not a MI5 operation.
    Plus little fact on real life they don't have agent s go into the field with too much knowledge due to them been prone to be captured and made to talk.
    So we get a major event predicted by a defecting KGB colonel talked about in corridors by the Daddy and his actual name as if it was latest voting results.
    So im supposed to forget any try at realism for the drama effect.
    Ill add a true fact about the services they are fairly weird as a friend observed about them . Even if the World war was starting they would not run. They don't do panic.

Yes. It's usually the case with these types of dramas these days.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Watchable enough but desperately wanted to be Tinker Tailor and there was far too much posing and cheek sucking from the lead.

Was Cox's character called "Daddy" in homage to The Avengers' "Mother"?

Yes,it was not bad at all.I agree Joe Lambe as Tom Hughes was obviously playing a scarred individual,haunted by his past and all that.But at times he was hamming it up so much it was laughable.I also found his strange Scouse-like mumbling accent hard to understand.I had to turn the volume right up when he was speaking.
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Yes,it was not bad at all.I agree Joe Lambe as Tom Hughes was obviously playing a scarred individual,haunted by his past and all that.But at times he was hamming it up so much it was laughable.I also found his strange Scouse-like mumbling accent hard to understand.I had to turn the volume right up when he was speaking.

I think he looks a bit young to have all this baggage behind him
    Penry Jones would have been better
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lead actor is terrible. So wooden.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as good as TTSS but very enjoyable nevertheless. Will keep watching.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode, and have mixed feelings. The recent Tinker, Tailor film was obviously a big influence. Some of it seems a bit cliched but I think they'll be enough twists to make it interesting.
    I'm putting my money on the copper being the mole.
  • Options
    RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    The problem is that any BBC produced spy drama- particularly one set in this time period- is always going to be compared to TTSS and invariably suffer in comparison. Le Carré remains the unquestioned master of the genre and the adaption of TTSS (and Smiley's People) represents a high watermark not just in the field of espionage drama but in British television of any description. It doesn't help its cause that The Game so explicitly aligns itself with TTSS in terms of its characterisation, tone and aesthetic as to invite such direct comparison; and that any criticism then becomes about what the show is not as oppose to what it is.

If viewed in isolation then I think the show is perfectly watchable and entertaining if not much more. The premise is intriguing, the acting uniformly solid if slightly mannered in some cases and the camerawork is at times beautiful in its rendering of 70's Britain; albeit a simulacrum informed by modern techniques and tropes that creates an almost heightened sense of realism. In the debit column was a rather heavy-handed approach to the story-telling that was almost insulting of the viewer's intelligence at times. That was In addition to a tendency to cliche- the abandoned fair, the apple peeling, the deathbed confessional/accusation- that veered close to pastiche, and a lackadaisical approach to procedural detail that occasionally stretched credulity to breaking point. Still looking forward to next week though!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode, and have mixed feelings. The recent Tinker, Tailor film was obviously a big influence. Some of it seems a bit cliched but I think they'll be enough twists to make it interesting.
    I'm putting my money on the copper being the mole.

That is not technically a spoiler, since it's just your guess at something, not an actual fact. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the mole is the older guy's mum
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Too young and has silly hair.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roquentin wrote: »
    It doesn't help its cause that The Game so explicitly aligns itself with TTSS in terms of its characterisation, tone and aesthetic as to invite such direct comparison; and that any criticism then becomes about what the show is not as oppose to what it is.

If viewed in isolation then I think the show is perfectly watchable and entertaining if not much more.
    I have watched TTSS and Smiley's People (again) recently. Apart from the inevitable superficial similarities of the time, there doesn't seem to me to be anything of significance that The Game shares with these two original series. (I haven't seen the TTSS film).

So when people claim to see similarities I simply don't get it. The story is completely different. The pace is a stark contrast (esp. to TTSS) and The Game contains far more action than the cerebral TTSS.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roquentin wrote: »
    I recently watched ITV's 13 part 1980's adaption of Len Deighton's Game, Set and Match starring Ian Holm...

How did you manage that?! I can't find it anywhere, I'd be ever so grateful if you could point me to a source.

As for The Game... am disappointed, but not surprised, it's the 'modern' BBC standard. I'll keep watching for the whodunnit element, can't resist that.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »
    How did you manage that?! I can't find it anywhere, I'd be ever so grateful if you could point me to a source.

Deighton LOATHES it and has barred any repeat or home release. I did some work on it back in the day and even I can barely recall what it was like!! :D
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Deighton LOATHES it and has barred any repeat or home release. I did some work on it back in the day and even I can barely recall what it was like!! :D

Thanks, Straker :) I've been googling and came across a blog where it was reported that Deighton had probably stopped its re-release. The blog also reported that a new version was in the offing. I won't continue to digress.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Tom Hughes was perfect for the role. I love his accent and the way he played a character who I suspect is not all he seems. The yearning for payback following the brutal murder of his lover adds a bit of red blood into a genre that tends to be dry and crusty like a smelly older man.
  • Options
    RoquentinRoquentin Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote: »

As for The Game... am disappointed, but not surprised, it's the 'modern' BBC standard. I'll keep watching for the whodunnit element, can't resist that.

I got it off a site focused on rare British TV a couple of years ago but it is sadly now defunct. There's nearly always somebody selling copies on eBay these days but they tend to be priced prohibitively. It really is a very good drama although the picture/audio quality tends to be a little dodgy in parts so your enjoyment might be affected depending on your tolerance for such things. I read that Deighton's main objection was the casting of Ian Holm as Bernard Sampson; an actor he considered completely wrong for the part of the central protagonist and therefore a fundamental flaw in the production. For my money Holm inhabits the role brilliantly despite the physical differences to the character as described in the books. In modern terms it's akin to dismissing Wolf Hall because Mark Rylance bears little or no resemblance to Thomas Cromwell.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    The editing style is all wrong. Very disappointed.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    I reckon the mole is the older guy's mum

I wondered the same thing. Which wouldn't be TTSS and much more an homage to The Manchurian Candidate.

I am really liking this - especially Paul Ritter and Judy Parfitt's exchanges. Priceless!
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused about the ballet dancer defection sub-plot in tonight's episode. She had already left China for Hong Kong, and it turned out that she was married to a man who wasn't born in China, so would China still have any control over her movements, as they seemed to be suggesting? I couldn't see why it would make such a difference to her whether she went back to Hong Kong or not?
    Also I wondered whether her marriage might just be a marriage of convenience, but "Daddy" didn't seem to consider that, just sent her back when he found out she was married?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say, this has grown on me. The production design is to die for and I now watch the whole thing as a sort of 70s-set prequel to Spooks!
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Verrillion wrote: »
    Disappointed at the sad lack of any type or realism. Don't people know the difference between MI5 and MI6 as the leads actions in a affair overseas was a action done by MI6 not a MI5 operation.
    Plus little fact on real life they don't have agent s go into the field with too much knowledge due to them been prone to be captured and made to talk.
    So we get a major event predicted by a defecting KGB colonel talked about in corridors by the Daddy and his actual name as if it was latest voting results.
    So im supposed to forget any try at realism for the drama effect.
    Ill add a true fact about the services they are fairly weird as a friend observed about them . Even if the World war was starting they would not run. They don't do panic.
    But we were slapped around the face repeatedly with the point pretty face was on his own mission in Poland. He was after the girl and her child (his child?). He was out of his depth in another country trying to play a disaffected MI5 officer willing to trade information for something to do with the girl.

Nothing at all is confusing on that.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    He's playing a type, it looks to be part Daniel Craig's (stiff, distant) James Bond and part Alec Guinness's cold, calculating George Smiley.

Based on 1 1/2 epi's he looks fine to me.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »

Or even Tom Hughes as Joe Lambe :-)
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Too young and has silly hair.

Is nearly 30 too young? I don't think so.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wish they would switch the lights on