Options

'Compensation' from HM Revenue and Customs?

TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
To cut a long story short HM R&C messed up my working tax credits a few weeks ago where they paid it in to an account I could not access the money from despite my previously calling them to change the account and them telling me twice it had all be taken care of.

I wrote in to complain about it but to make things worse they replied having totally misunderstood my issue which annoyed me even more so I complained about the original matter plus them not reading my initial letter correctly. All I wanted was for them to get their act together and not mess around with people's lives in that way.

Out of the blue I received a letter from them not only acknowledging they messed up both times but they have also offered me some compensation which I was totally surprised at as that's not what I was aiming for and certainly didn't hint at. I didn't even know R&C did that sort of thing.

Anyway the letter said it would be put in to my (correct) account within 28 days but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it normally takes? I'm not being impatient or ungrateful as I wasn't expecting it but any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talizman wrote: »
    All I wanted was for them to get their act together and not mess around with people's lives in that way.

It's HMRC. It's their job. 'Helped' by some overly complex IT systems that executives thought could replace humans that possess common sense.
    I didn't even know R&C did that sort of thing.

They usually try to evade or avoid it, but it has been known. If you're unlucky, they'll later tax & fine you for the compensation as undeclared income or something. If you want to push things further, you could also complain to the ICO about mistakes with their data and data handling under the Data Protection Act.
    Anyway the letter said it would be put in to my (correct) account within 28 days but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it normally takes?

I've had repayments credited within a week, but HMRC can move in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, not really interested in the ins-and-outs of it all though as I was satisfied with how they dealt with the issues.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Blimey, getting compensation out of HMRC!

If that's not getting blood out of a stone I don't know what is !!!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMRC offering compensation for doing a crap job? Wow. That's gonna take a bite out of their bottom line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Blimey, getting compensation out of HMRC!

If that's not getting blood out of a stone I don't know what is !!!

In fairness they didn't refer to it as 'compensation', but "a payment not intended to put a value on the worry and stress suffered but to recognise we were the cause of it".

Having previously worked in the civil service I wasn't aware they made payments like that and again it's not what I was aiming for or expected. Without going in to unnecessary detail it was caused by human error rather than procedure or IT, but going on the rest of the letter I'm happy to consider it dealt with and now closed.

But if they could get the money to me this week I'd be even more happy :D

I think a call to the complaints number tomorrow (to ask) will be in order...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update for anyone interested - they can't tell me when it will arrive as it "needs to be sent to another department to be processed". I don't doubt that's true but it did kind of feel like I was being mugged off with standard civil service BS.

Anyway I won't complain too much :D
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update for anyone interested - they can't tell me when it will arrive as it "needs to be sent to another department to be processed". I don't doubt that's true but it did kind of feel like I was being mugged off with standard civil service BS.

Anyway I won't complain too much :D

Don't hold your breath,, I was told in November I would get money owed. I got it in April!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what do you know....it hit my account this morning :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Anyway the letter said it would be put in to my (correct) account within 28 days but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it normally takes? I'm not being impatient or ungrateful as I wasn't expecting it but any guidance would be appreciated.

How long is a piece of string? It will take up to 28 days.

All you need to be worried about is that it does happen within 28 days. If not, ring them up and get it sorted.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Well what do you know....it hit my account this morning :)

Well there you go. Good on you.

ETA. Kudos for getting compensation out of the HMRC. That's nothing short of a miracle IMO.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got an email supposedly from HMRC this morning telling me I am due for a tax rebate and mentioning the amount - £465.27. I know this to be wrong and the email is littered with spelling errors which would disgrace even the average DS poster. Just to warn anyone - this is so obviously a scam, and they ask for bank account and card details. Don't fall for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? It will take up to 28 days.

All you need to be worried about is that it does happen within 28 days. If not, ring them up and get it sorted.

Erm....read the previous post? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Well there you go. Good on you.

ETA. Kudos for getting compensation out of the HMRC. That's nothing short of a miracle IMO.

Cheers but I don't deserve kudos, I wasn't expecting or asking for anything from them other than perhaps an apology. In fact I'd say kudos to them for offering it. I won't say how much they gave me but it was more than the amount I'd initially lost due to their incompetence.

Still, all's well that ends well etc :)
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I just got an email supposedly from HMRC this morning telling me I am due for a tax rebate and mentioning the amount - £465.27. I know this to be wrong and the email is littered with spelling errors which would disgrace even the average DS poster. Just to warn anyone - this is so obviously a scam, and they ask for bank account and card details. Don't fall for it!

It's a well-known scam, the HMRC would never make contact via email. I get them occasionally too.