CS: 14 Years since Don Brennan died

CuishlaCuishla Posts: 16,332
Forum Member
✭✭
It's 14 years today since Don Brennan died whilst attempting to kill Mike Baldwin

Take another look at Dons last moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdzMmISL9U

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first big storyline I remember! I started watching Corrie is 1997 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's to the next 14 years without him.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Blimey - is it really that long ago? The direction the writers took Don's character in was very interesting. He was actually quite normal and nice until the last few months when he flipped.
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this ep on the network dvd release.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    I was watching this episode on the 90's boxset as this thread came up. :)
    I'd forgotten how mad he was towards the end.
  • Too CloseToo Close Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not got round to watching that episode on the DVD yet.
  • hammiehammie Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having been watching old episodes on the network dvd I actually felt slightly sorry for Don Brennan. I mean being married to Ivy can't have been fun and Mike did screw him over with the garage. I thought the episodes in 1997 where he kidnapped Alma and where he died were great.
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    He was not much good once Lynne perrier who played Ivy walked off the show.She was the star of that onscreen couple.
  • rockinrobo84rockinrobo84 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    18 years in October since Don Brennan died. He was only 59 (He would have been 60 on 30th November 1997. Would of been 77 if he was still goin now) I liked him and in some ways it was heart breaking see him lose everything and it effect his mental health the way it did. It was his own fault as well as MIke Baldwin's but Don wasn't a bad guy. I still can't decide if it was a bit silly the way he was at the end character wise when you think about when he first came into it in 1987 he was just a nice ordinary likeable guy.
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Blimey - is it really that long ago? The direction the writers took Don's character in was very interesting. He was actually quite normal and nice until the last few months when he flipped.

It's got to be longer than that since!! Thought it was 96 or 97!!
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,640
    Forum Member

It's 18 years now, it's a bumped thread ;)
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »

Lol!! Well spotted!! :blush::blush:
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was Don Brennan a Corrie legend?
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    was Don Brennan a Corrie legend?

Probably wouldn't be remembered if he hadn't gone slightly loopy in his last few months for the various reasons stated above
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was not much good once Lynne perrier who played Ivy walked off the show.She was the star of that onscreen couple.
    I think Lynne was 'released' from the show after she had a lip job, which went wrong and made her look ridiculous on screen.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lynne was 'released' from the show after she had a lip job, which went wrong and made her look ridiculous on screen.

I remember when she blew her reputation on The Word. :o
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when she blew her reputation on The Word. :o

Still one of my ultimate TV highlights ever :D:D:D:D
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still one of my ultimate TV highlights ever :D:D:D:D
    "Man, woman or dog, throw it on the bed and I'll go through it." :D
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 years ?

I'll send Ivy a card/ :D
  • Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How strange I was just watching an old episode with him in (Not the one where he dies) from 1996.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember him.

Don Brennan RIP
    Good night, sweet prince.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    "Man, woman or dog, throw it on the bed and I'll go through it." :D

Haha!

I sometimes use that quote in general conversation :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don was a fairly dull character until his first suicide attempt which resulted in him losing part of his leg.

With hindsight and positioning Don alongside the now constant stream of 'psychos', his mental decline between 1992 and 1997 was really a very powerful piece of character development. His marriage with Ivy started to break down around 1992 which led to his affair with Julie Dewhurst and his first suicide attempt. He then became obsessed with Denise Osbourne and began stalking her. He attempted suicide again by trying to gas himself in his taxi. He then had a complete mental breakdown, having been rejected and disowned by the Platts. He kidnapped Alma and tried to kill himself and her by driving into the Weatherfield Quays. That failed and he later attacked Mike in the factory, finally succeeding in killing himself by driving Alma's MG into the viaduct.

This was a much more believable and slow-burning bit of character development compared to what we get today. The general mould for a 'psycho' or a character intent on causing others harm is so frequently rushed.

It was, in many ways, the same with Alan Bradley and Rita, whose decline was played out over the course of around four years.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    Don was a fairly dull character until his first suicide attempt which resulted in him losing part of his leg.

With hindsight and positioning Don alongside the now constant stream of 'psychos', his mental decline between 1992 and 1997 was really a very powerful piece of character development. His marriage with Ivy started to break down around 1992 which led to his affair with Julie Dewhurst and his first suicide attempt. He then became obsessed with Denise Osbourne and began stalking her. He attempted suicide again by trying to gas himself in his taxi. He then had a complete mental breakdown, having been rejected and disowned by the Platts. He kidnapped Alma and tried to kill himself and her by driving into the Weatherfield Quays. That failed and he later attacked Mike in the factory, finally succeeding in killing himself by driving Alma's MG into the viaduct.

This was a much more believable and slow-burning bit of character development compared to what we get today. The general mould for a 'psycho' or a character intent on causing others harm is so frequently rushed.

It was, in many ways, the same with Alan Bradley and Rita, whose decline was played out over the course of around four years.

It would happen in a few weeks now.

With Don, you could feel his impatience and frustration with Ivy growing and growing.

One of my favourite episodes featuring Don, was the one where he was driving Audrey and Alf to London to collect Alf's OBE. Audrey started bitching at Don about him still living in Ivy's house although, in her will Ivy had left it to Nicky. It was hilarious.

Audrey got dumped at a service station on the motorway in all her finery.

Happy days.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably wouldn't be remembered if he hadn't gone slightly loopy in his last few months for the various reasons stated above
    Yep definitely wasn't the last few months, he was well into his self destructive phase by the time Brian Park arrived at the helm; watching the old episodes his spiral into self pity and need to blame those around him for his self inflicted problems makes uncomfortabe but compelling viewing.