Is this psychological abuse?

Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
Forum Member
✭✭
A couple of times the boundary seems to have been over-stepped this series for me.

When Caoimhe was locked in the room and had to listen to Ben's voice over and over for a couple of hours and this thing Ben has been doing being locked in a small room with an intimidating Army sergeant - seems to go a little too far, for me.

Even the 'stand up' challenge. It's not BB's job to "break" these people mentally. For their flaws they're reality TV contestants and basically ordinary human beings.

Am I the only one who has felt somewhat uncomfortable at the amount of 'mental pressure' BB have exerted on some contestants this year?

Comments

• Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you are not alone, I agree and have heard many such comments today.:)
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I would say it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of times the boundary seems to have been over-stepped this series for me.

When Caoimhe was locked in the room and had to listen to Ben's voice over and over for a couple of hours and this thing Ben has been doing being locked in a small room with an intimidating Army sergeant - seems to go a little too far, for me.

Even the 'stand up' challenge. It's not BB's job to "break" these people mentally. For their flaws they're reality TV contestants and basically ordinary human beings.

Am I the only one who has felt somewhat uncomfortable at the amount of 'mental pressure' BB have exerted on some contestants this year?

I definately agree with your comments
  • TOMMY CTOMMY C Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its anywhere near as bad as the torture they put Aisleyne through which resulted in her having panic attacks in the house.
  • faticeirafaticeira Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's abuse.

One person being made to be ganged up upon and possibly hated by people he has to live with and people on the outside....it is disgusting.

They could have at least played others lying or bitching behinds other's backs as well if they want to cause more tension. It is unfairly put upon one person.

Who knows what repercussions this will have.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Caoimhe thing, not that I particularly wish to defend someone who I have to bother looking up the correct spelling of her name every time I type it - would have been funny for five minutes or so. But it was cleary causing distress later on as it went on and on and on. It made me very uncomfortable.

Now with what's happening to Ben, you wonder if they're dispersed with their usual psychological experts assistance this series.
  • squiggle1012squiggle1012 Posts: 8,801
    Forum Member
    faticeira wrote: »
    It's abuse.

One person being made to be ganged up upon and possibly hated by people he has to live with and people on the outside....it is disgusting.

They could have at least played others lying or bitching behinds other's backs as well if they want to cause more tension. It is unfairly put upon one person.

Who knows what repercussions this will have.

Bit like what Ben spent the day doing to Mario yesterday;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought BB was, in essence, a psychological experiment?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree, its a form of bulling by bb getting others to gang up on Ben, and i dont use the word bully very often
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Why don't they tell Ben that Shabby is not his friend and that she was only doing a task last week?
    That to me was also psychological abuse :mad:
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, some of these "punishments" are like forms of torture really. Surely there are better ways to punish people than damage them psyhcologically?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. :)In my opinion bringing in a professional bully to humiliate any HM is questionable.
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, some of these "punishments" are like forms of torture really. Surely there are better ways to punish people than damage them psyhcologically?

Agree with you Vodka....:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    I was hoping Big Brother would go back to its roots, by being much simpler and just generally letting the Housemates live in a house but no the amount of prodding BB does these days is just cruel.

I understand they need to make it interesting but this series i think they have crossed the line of entertainment. This is how I feel anyway.
  • Eleanor_RigbyEleanor_Rigby Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Housemates are free to leave at any time.
    I'm sure they all knew what they were letting themselves in for.
  • TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they tell Ben that Shabby is not his friend and that she was only doing a task last week?
    That to me was also psychological abuse :mad:

Becuse Shabby actually completed the tasks and didn't tell the entire house about the ToT? :confused:
  • cleocleo Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so.

It wasn't anything so terrible with the drill sergeant. I've had worse PE lessons, and I'm sure Ben has. Dave seemed to cope alright, and Ben didn't exactly seem intimidated. If he was he would have just done it.

Caoimhe's punishment was a bit tedious for her, but she got over it.

I think the real pschological abuse will come when they get out of the house and see what the papers say about them.

They know the rules of the game and the way it's played. Should BB really just let it go when HMs don't play the game?

I think talk of abuse, bullying etc is what has killed BB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I don't see anyone actually intimidated or threatened by the punishments - the whole premise of the show is far more psychologically damaging than a staged punishment.

My quibble with the ones in this series is that they are not entertaining either as concepts or to watch. If the punishments are nothing more than suffering mindless tedium then it's the viewers being put through it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tesphen wrote: »
    Becuse Shabby actually completed the tasks and didn't tell the entire house about the ToT? :confused:

Shabby was showing the asembled bathroom the ToT this morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what they sign up for! Ultimately no one is ever trapped against their will. They are free to walk if they choose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cleo wrote: »
    I don't think so.

It wasn't anything so terrible with the drill sergeant. I've had worse PE lessons, and I'm sure Ben has. Dave seemed to cope alright, and Ben didn't exactly seem intimidated. If he was he would have just done it.

Caoimhe's punishment was a bit tedious for her, but she got over it.

I think the real pschological abuse will come when they get out of the house and see what the papers say about them.

They know the rules of the game and the way it's played. Should BB really just let it go when HMs don't play the game?

I think talk of abuse, bullying etc is what has killed BB

Lack of audience and recession and C4's dicey commercial problems killed it off. imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesphen wrote: »

Shabby and Steve outed Ben to all the housemates regarding the tree of temptation .He then had to fess up to it
  • DrAntipastiDrAntipasti Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I think the OP was referring to actually watching the programme rather than appearing in it.
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what they sign up for! Ultimately no one is ever trapped against their will. They are free to walk if they choose.

I am not at all sure any of them thought they may be locked in a room with a proffesional bully calling them a cowardly wankstain, sorry but this series is seriously starting to depress me.
  • TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Shabby was showing the asembled bathroom the ToT this morning.

The ToT had already been outed by Mario in the first week. The issue is no longer saying that there is a ToT but that the ToT has set you a task.
    powerpow wrote: »
    Shabby and Steve outed Ben to all the housemates regarding the tree of temptation .He then had to fess up to it

He could've denied what they were accusing him of?