Options

Officer 'Inserted Song Titles During Mark Saunders' Inquest'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A police marksman is under investigation for allegedly inserting song titles into his evidence during lawyer Mark Saunders' inquest.

The Met CO19 firearms officer, referred to only as AZ8, reportedly dropped in the lyric references as part of a shared joke with colleagues.

He was later "reprimanded" by a senior officer in his unit when evidence of his actions emerged.

More here: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101102/tuk-officer-inserted-song-titles-during-45dbed5.html

Some people really are twisted aren't they? I try to understand why anyone would think this is a remotely funny or acceptable thing to do but I just can't. What an arsehole.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegedly.

If true, it's quite disrespectful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks like Michael Sheen in that pic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Allegedly.

I hope it isn't true because if it is, and people with that mentality are policing our country, God help us...:(
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I thought he should have been fired. As a police officer he's supposed to be upholding respect and deference to exactly the authorities he's taking the mickey out of, forgetting how insensitive it was to do this when discussing someone's death.

My Dad used to volunteer as a police lay visitor going around police stations and making sure that people were being treated right and been given the proper access to solicitors and were being given the food and drink and access to doctors that were statutory. He did come across this, prisoners sometimes complained to him that during interviews they believed that bets had been made to put song titles in between policemen as it was all on the tapes.

He had words and it stopped but I do know that a friend who is a civilian worker said they carried on doing it but they started using book titles rather than song titles and got away with it again because the vast majority of the people they'd arrested had never read a book in their lives.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Allegedly.

It's not 'allegedly' the Met have confirmed it happened and the officer has been reprimanded and removed from fire arm duties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    It's not 'allegedly' the Met have confirmed it happened and the officer has been reprimanded and removed from fire arm duties.

Well the only reports I've read still state 'allegedly'.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I must confess, I can't recognise any song lyrics from that testimony. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enough is Enough? - Donna Summer?
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He added: "When he brought it down the first time I was virtually at that point.

"I took my breath, checked my sight picture and was just about squeezing one off.

"I was waiting for it, then he brought it back up. I took a lung full of air again and eased off on the trigger.

"As it came down again it crossed my line and I let off the first round."

He continued: " I thought that 'enough is enough'. It just got past that point of no return.

"Like you say, I have seen the film, and I am kicking myself because I feel I left it too late."

Is this meant to be the bit where he inserted song lines ? Beyond 'Enough is Enough' which is valid in the circumstances, I can't spot any more.....
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I gave evidence, I was concentrating so much on what was happening that I would never have been able to do such a thing, not that I'd want to.

In such a high profile case, it is almost unbelievable.

If true, he should spend a few years walking the beat on full shifts.
  • Options
    cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In such a high profile case, it is almost unbelievable.

If true, he should spend a few years walking the beat on full shifts.

Good one :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)
    cartree wrote: »

And that was without trying, so maybe he is an innocent man.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cartree wrote: »

Likewise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    To be honest I thought he should have been fired. As a police officer he's supposed to be upholding respect and deference to exactly the authorities he's taking the mickey out of, forgetting how insensitive it was to do this when discussing someone's death.

My Dad used to volunteer as a police lay visitor going around police stations and making sure that people were being treated right and been given the proper access to solicitors and were being given the food and drink and access to doctors that were statutory. He did come across this, prisoners sometimes complained to him that during interviews they believed that bets had been made to put song titles in between policemen as it was all on the tapes.

He had words and it stopped but I do know that a friend who is a civilian worker said they carried on doing it but they started using book titles rather than song titles and got away with it again because the vast majority of the people they'd arrested had never read a book in their lives.

That's just depressing. :(

I'm not someone who has blind faith in the police, far from it, but I'd hope for better than that. Still, I'm not really shocked. My mum worked in the typing pool at a police station for a few years and some of the things people said there would make most people's blood run cold with how inhuman there sentiments were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect this thread will go one way or another now..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha one way or another...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    That's just depressing. :(

I'm not someone who has blind faith in the police, far from it, but I'd hope for better than that. Still, I'm not really shocked. My mum worked in the typing pool at a police station for a few years and some of the things people said there would make most people's blood run cold with how inhuman there sentiments were.

Yeah, but you have to just to get by I reckon. People would fall apart in no time otherwise, I think you have to get a bit desensitized. Obviously letting this run over into any kind of public arena is just stupid though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

haha :D:D
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't actually have a huge problem with this :o OK, maybe not at an inquest where you might have shot the guy, but in general, I don't think it's a big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I don't actually have a huge problem with this :o OK, maybe not at an inquest where you might have shot the guy, but in general, I don't think it's a big deal.

Don't you think it's, at the very least, hugely disrespectful to the family of the deceased? I'd be angry about that aspect of it, if nothing else.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think it's, at the very least, hugely disrespectful to the family of the deceased? I'd be angry about that aspect of it, if nothing else.
    I do, yeah. I agree with cartree that this sort of thing is normal but shouldn't be happening in public, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I do, yeah. I agree with cartree that this sort of thing is normal but shouldn't be happening in public, I think.

If this were off-duty silliness, I probably wouldn't care too much myself. But when things like this happen during official work hours, it's not on at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this were off-duty silliness, I probably wouldn't care too much myself. But when things like this happen during official work hours, it's not on at all.

What's it to do with you though? this was something between collegues.