Options

So what's to like about EastEnders at the moment?

HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
Forum Member
All I see is unimaginative recycled storylines.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing is good about it at the moment :( (im not taking a jibe at eastenders fans cause i did like the show) I've stopped watching it now :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »

You could apply that to any soap at the moment if you are not enjoying them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh not a lot. I've given up on it. I really wanted Bryan to do well as I'm a big fan of his but he hasn't delivered, I hope he can turn it around.
  • Options
    FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member

You are so going to be flogged as a hater.:D

But guess what you are not, its your valid opinion and as i suspect you pay a tv license then you are free to praise,criticise where you see fit.

Getting back on topic, i agree, the show is a mess, continuity is a joke and the production team seem incompetent, if i was as bad at my job as Kirkwood i would be sacked. Way too many characters that make you go meh and the two year baby storyline due to bore us will turn viewers off.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Too much shouting, arguing, and far too many kids and BABIES being born!!
    It was good when I watched it in its early days....but now it has become a serialised "Groundhog Day" !:yawn:
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Masoods and Kim.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Good question.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

But guess what you are not, its your valid opinion and as i suspect you pay a tv license then you are free to praise,criticise where you see fit.

Getting back on topic, i agree, the show is a mess, continuity is a joke and the production team seem incompetent, if i was as bad at my job as Kirkwood i would be sacked. Way too many characters that make you go meh and the two year baby storyline due to bore us will turn viewers off.

I've been watching EE longer than some of these so called fans who started watching 2007 or whatever.

You know it's funny, I could even tolerate this show back in 2004, but now it's just a mindless direction with Kat and Alfie thrown in every episode.

I know Bryan Kirkwood has talent because he brought me into Hollyoaks in 2006 and he rivaled Santer (at his peak) in 2007, so I have no idea why he can't deliver here.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Connor's pecs.

Worth the license fee on their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Tamwar.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to go all philosophical on you but EE is not standing the test of time very well at the moment, I'm sad to say. Everything becomes recycled the longer it goes on for......:(
    A shame the world we exist in isn't as recyclable!
  • Options
    FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I've been watching EE longer than some of these so called fans who started watching 2007 or whatever.

You know it's funny, I could even tolerate this show back in 2004, but now it's just a mindless direction with Kat and Alfie thrown in every episode.

I know Bryan Kirkwood has talent because he brought me into Hollyoaks in 2006 and he rivaled Santer (at his peak) in 2007, so I have no idea why he can't deliver here.

Something is wrong because i now only watch it when there is something i really want to see afterwards, may Kirkwood is not the problem, but he did bring in new writers ect, one of who is Kris Green who has no proven experience in story lining a drama and it does seem to me the cast know how bad the material is but do their best.

Watched my first episode back in 1985 when they found Reg Cox dead, been through the lows and the highs with the show,even stuck with it during the 2004 era, now i am no longer feeling the love for the show and have been skipping episodes, the BBC will take action before long i believe.

They brought in Belinda Campbell from Casualty to exec produce Holby City after the level of complaints about the show during the Diana Kyle era, i now fully expect something similar for EE i.e a new co exec producer to be parachuted into EE to work alongside Kirkwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest disappointment is how the writers have lost their way with Carol.

The character has become unconvincing and her stories disjointed. I expect many will put that down to her son's death, but even so, I still find what's happened since unrealistic and not all that interesting. Billie should never have been killed off to begin with. His character should have been written out by keeping him in the army. Bradley had passed away only a few months prior. There was too much grief in the family. It was draining to watch it all a second time around.

I think they could have developed Carol's relationship with that fella she was seeing and explored the difficulties she has with trusting men again. Instead, he turned out to be married and that was that. What a waste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    EEnders is so crowded claustraphobic in your face shouting argueing houses jampacked everyone watchine everyone elses every movement in the square - not relaxing viewing
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    The biggest disappointment is how the writers have lost their way with Carol.

The character has become unconvincing and her stories disjointed. I expect many will put that down to her son's death, but even so, I still find what's happened since unrealistic and not all that interesting. Billie should never have been killed off to begin with. His character should have been written out by keeping him in the army. Bradley had passed away only a few months prior. There was too much grief in the family. It was draining to watch it all a second time around.

I think they could have developed Carol's relationship with that fella she was seeing and explored the difficulties she has with trusting men again. Instead, he turned out to be married and that was that. What a waste.

Then again I found the direct aftermath of Billie's death to be one of the most truthfully told stories I've ever seen in soap, and it turned out to be one of the few highlights in Kirkwood's tenure thus far.

Since then though I'm not sure I like the direction they've taken Carol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Then again I found the direct aftermath of Billie's death to be one of the most truthfully told stories I've ever seen in soap, and it turned out to be one of the few highlights in Kirkwood's tenure thus far.

Since then though I'm not sure I like the direction they've taken Carol.

That episode was outstanding, you're right.

I know grief makes people act out of character, but even still, what's happened since hasn't worked for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem for me as a viewer is that the show wasn't in that good a shape when Kirkwood took over so there's a lot of work behind the scenes in terms of storytelling that needs fixing there has being some great material recently but the way the writing of actual storylines has been done is failing the show this was most apparent for me in Santer's time were he put focus on the "big episodes" but not the ones around them.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the new Lauren's kinda nice to look at
    Alfie's as awesome as ever, even though he's being held back by a miserable bitch.

.....that's about it
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    What, right now?

The Masoods. I've found myself enjoying episodes since they've been back, for the first time in months.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last few episodes have been pretty meh. Tonight's episode just left me feeling bored by the end of it...

However, I've enjoyed Peggy's exit and I thought Billie's death was one of the best EastEnders episodes in recent years...

So I don't know where things are going to be heading :confused: There are episodes which just leave me feeling very bored, but then there's the odd episode which is oozing with quality... it's very inconsistent at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one word is needed to summarise how fantastic it is lately.

GLENDA.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Eastenders is great at the moment.

Character interaction is great. Acting is great and storylines are great.

Why pick when there is no need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I think a possible reason as to why it seems a bit bland atm is because we can't really see a clear direction for any big storylines, most of what we are seeing is resolution of older storylines and character development. Also, these past few weeks, only a small part of the cast been used in the episodes so it seems a bit like a ghost town. Also, the new story producer has just been added to the credits.

Like others have said, the quality of the episodes is a bit like a pendulum; on the one hand we've had some fantastic, gripping episodes such as Billie's death and on the other hand we've got a lot of episodes that are treading water.

I've read the christmas spoilers and it looks really exciting what with Stacey's exit and the cot death/baby swap storyline in the new year. Hopefully, that momentum can be maintained. EE is still very watchable and entertaining though, it's nowhere near as bad as what it was in 2004/2006. :)
  • Options
    Blue-DoveBlue-Dove Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    While I agree Bryan has been given a hard time on here the show is pants right now. Not sure what has gone wrong but its all so awful :(
  • Options
    Blue-DoveBlue-Dove Posts: 127
    Forum Member

You sound like that Lenfairclough who got banned. :confused:;)