UK - Retro Television Networks

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sorry if this topic has already been done,

Do you think the UK should have dedicated
Retro Television Networks?

I have been with Telewest and now Virgin Media,
they basically show the same programmes over and over again, they do NOT cover the old 50's,60,70s,80's shows
properly, it's lip-service at best.

There are loads of old programmes that need dedicated channels to give them the justice they deserve.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a channel dedicated to stuff pre- 1975 but unfortunately, I just don't think there is the audience, Also i think tv execs don't think people will watch black and white anymore!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias. wrote: »
    I would love a channel dedicated to stuff pre- 1975 but unfortunately, I just don't think there is the audience, Also i think tv execs don't think people will watch black and white anymore!

That's the problem with these 'modern' tv execs,
    they have no imagination and that's why we are 'spoon fed'
    mindless reality programmes.

It's getting to the point where i am watching more of my dvd collections, and far less uk tv, you can only watch fools and horses, dibley,porridge etc, so many times, as good as they are.

Virgin Media have these on a constant loop, and show them in various formats, OFAH weekends, OFAH Christmas Specials, OFAH back to back, etc.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

ITV4 show a lot of the old ITC shows from the 60s

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), The Saint, The Champions etc.

At the moment Film 24 shows stuff like

The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes (1954 American version)
    Flash Gordon (1954 American TV show)
    Dragnet (50s American cop show)
    The Lucy Show
    Bonanza (1959-1973 Western series)

However that channel will likely dissappeart early next year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are in danger of losing a lot of TV 'history' , they will never replace the actors of 'yesteryear',
    and whilst i don't want to live in the past, it would be great to tune-in to some old favourites on dedicated UK-Retro Channels.

At present a lot of the older programmes are shown all over the place on various channels,
    There a loads of channels at present on Virgin Media that are 'total dross' and it would be interesting to see how many viewers they get, probably in the 'hundreds' if the truth were known.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member

no there might not be a huge audience for these programmes but i think there is an audience for them (if you get my meaning) even if it is relatively small.

companies like Network seem to make a living selling old TV series on DVD so i would have thought that there would be an market, albiet a small one, for old TV series.

i mean when you look at some of the obscure channels on the EPG i cant imagine a lot of them get very big audiences either.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The analogue Bravo channel and the Granada channel used to show a fair number of b & w films and TV shows.
    Including Danger Man, Sandbaggers and Callan.
    There is so much good archive TV available I would love to see again and also British B movies from 1950s and 60s.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie1222 wrote: »
    companies like Network seem to make a living selling old TV series on DVD so i would have thought that there would be an market, albiet a small one, for old TV series.

I think you've hit upon the answer: If they put them on TV they'll remove entirely the market for the DVDs, so their profits will disappear. I can't imagine there is any commercial sense in "giving it away". There's also a chance that the original actors' contracts say nothing about DVD sales (which didn't exist) but might just have clauses demanding payment of repeat fees.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    I think we should have a couple of stations like the US TV Land station dedicated to pre 1980 shows. One for UK produced shows and one for american shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Land