Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    I was amazed at the casting too Augusta. Reacher's height and physical presence is an integral part of his character and is even what parts of the plots hinge upon.
    Unlike some, I think Tom Cruise is a very good actor, but NOT Jack Reacher - a foot too short and at least a decade too old.:eek:

On the other hand, I refused to watch the Sharpe series at first because the Richard Sharpe I loved in the books was a dark-haired Lonndoner and casting Sean Bean seemed mad. But then I got hooked on the series - and on Sean Bean!:o

I had the same reaction to the Sharpe series - but I got hooked and love Sean Bean. Saw him in The Scottish Play and I really wonder why he doesn't do more theatre - he was terrific!

Please don't mention snow. We are off to York on Monday and don't want the holiday spoiled - reminder to self - look up weather reports. Think I'll take wellies - just in case!

so have you seen Sean Bean in Game of Thrones? He is good in that as well. :D

I think he has suffered as an actor, from doing a lot of dross fairly early in his career a couple of reallydire tv series...etc so he hasnt been taken that seriously....he has always been a bit of an almost ran, rather than a leading man.

Maybe the Jack Reacher films wont be as bad as im imagining......but Im stll intrigued at how Tom Cruise is going to play the gentle giant, that everyone always looks at the minute he walks in a room......!!!

Have a lovely holiday Nyannie....maybe the weather wont be too bad.......

im hoping its at least dry, this weekend in Bath, places look much prettier in the sunshine. and ive realised most of the places i want to see ..like the Jane Austen museum are fairly feminine.....I hope my OH is going to enjoy the list ive written up!!!
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    does anyone else love the Lee Childs...Jack Reacher detective books...with our hero standing 6 ft 6 tall?

and now.....we have Tiny Tom Cruise in that role.......its isnt fair....thats totally wrong miscasting... I dont really like Tom Cruise as an actor at all...... I can never get beyond the fact that to me he always looks the same...whatever role he plays....

Jack Reacher is tall, enigmatic , extremely strong and very deep....Tom Cruise is ..Tom Cruise....

so do I try and go and see the film when it comes out ? Or avoid it?

never read the books
    but i know what you mean,
    but still give it a go
    at the time i didn't think
    Daniel Craig would make a good Bond
    and how wrong was i
    i think he might be my favourite of all time :D

Good Morning JJat :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was amazed at the casting too Augusta. Reacher's height and physical presence is an integral part of his character and is even what parts of the plots hinge upon.
    Unlike some, I think Tom Cruise is a very good actor, but NOT Jack Reacher - a foot too short and at least a decade too old.:eek:

On the other hand, I refused to watch the Sharpe series at first because the Richard Sharpe I loved in the books was a dark-haired Lonndoner and casting Sean Bean seemed mad. But then I got hooked on the series - and on Sean Bean!:o

I had the same reaction to the Sharpe series - but I got hooked and love Sean Bean. Saw him in The Scottish Play and I really wonder why he doesn't do more theatre - he was terrific!

Please don't mention snow. We are off to York on Monday and don't want the holiday spoiled - reminder to self - look up weather reports. Think I'll take wellies - just in case!

Have a wonderful time in York
    bet you're looking forward to it :D

never watched the Sharpe series
    but liked him in the few things
    i've seen him in :)

he was a good Bond Villain :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Morning all.

Off to the theatre today so hope there is no new drama while I am away.

Lovely to see you Deefs and ellemay. Ellemay - thanks for the great video - like georgy, I love that song.

I think someone said that John wanted things on his own terms - I think that is right, but you know, life is a compromise and sometimes you do have to compromise. I sometimes wonder if John compromises in his life. You can't always do what you want to do. Maybe he feels he compromised enough with Josie. I want him to be happy but now I think he must - if there are no legal implications - to give his side of the story and lay the relationship to rest and have the anonomity he seems to want.

I'm away next week so would appreciate someone sending me a PM to let me know if anything happens.
    Morning Nyannie, great to be posting here again. You reminded me of one of my all time favs in your post You can't always get want you want - Rolling Stones, masterpiece. Anyway I do agree about John - to be honest I feel both John and Josie tend to you tweeter to promote their own events or their friends events and are eager to ask for their supporters help - I think John should support his supporters and just give a polite tweet - "back in oz - normality again" or wtte - there is an element of give and take here - only fair I would say:)
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    never read the books
    but i know what you mean,
    but still give it a go
    at the time i didn't think
    Daniel Craig would make a good Bond
    and how wrong was i
    i think he might be my favourite of all time :D

Good Morning JJat :p

Ooh, me too Georgy :D

He is sooooo masculine, and has such lovely blue eyes :o

I saw him in another film (can't remember the name) about a Jewish community in Poland in WWll, where he played the leader of a group who refused to be victimised.....he was great in that too.....and also as a sergeant in the British Army in a film about the trenches in WWl ......what a guy :D

And Liverpool did well last night too! :p:D
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Deeferone wrote: »
    Morning Nyannie, great to be posting here again. You reminded me of one of my all time favs in your post You can't always get want you want - Rolling Stones, masterpiece. Anyway I do agree about John - to be honest I feel both John and Josie tend to you tweeter to promote their own events or their friends events and are eager to ask for their supporters help - I think John should support his supporters and just give a polite tweet - "back in oz - normality again" or wtte - there is an element of give and take here - only fair I would say:)

Absolutely Deefs - it wouldn't cost him anything to do so and it would be fair. Think that if John posts again asking for support for one of his friends to win something, few people will give the support he wants.

Nice to see you again Deefs - you always write such sensible posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »

I saw him in another film (can't remember the name) about a Jewish community in Poland in WWll, where he played the leader of a group who refused to be victimised.....he was great in that too.....and also as a sergeant in the British Army in a film about the trenches in WWl ......what a guy :D

I saw that film too - about Jewish partisans who escaped the ghettos. True story and it was terrific. Starts with a B I think. Daniel Craig was also great in Our Friends from the North with Gina McKee. He is a very versatile actor and I think his contract for Bond says he can do other things. I wonder what he would be like on the stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw that film too - about Jewish partisans who escaped the ghettos. True story and it was terrific. Starts with a B I think. Daniel Craig was also great in Our Friends from the North with Gina McKee. He is a very versatile actor and I think his contract for Bond says he can do other things. I wonder what he would be like on the stage.

I looked him up on Bing .....I think the film was called Defiance? I thought it was great, had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through :) It had everything..moral conviction, dramatic tension, romance, adventure....and Mr Craig himself, of course ;)

Not sure what he's done on stage. One bit of info I did pick up was that he married Rachel Weisz in 2011 ...I'd managed to miss out on that nugget :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely Deefs - it wouldn't cost him anything to do so and it would be fair. Think that if John posts again asking for support for one of his friends to win something, few people will give the support he wants.

Seconded on both counts, nyannie ....welcome back Deefs :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked him up on Bing .....I think the film was called Defiance? I thought it was great, had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through :) It had everything..moral conviction, dramatic tension, romance, adventure....and Mr Craig himself, of course ;)

Not sure what he's done on stage. One bit of info I did pick up was that he married Rachel Weisz in 2011 ...I'd managed to miss out on that nugget :D

Did you all see Our Friends in the North on TV - which was Daniel Craig's first role, I think, where the came to public notice along with Gina McKee, Christopher Eccleston and Mark Strong, and a few others. Brilliant series by Peter Flannery - great picture of Great Britain during the Thatcher years.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Very and a Liverpool Fan
    i hear :D

yes we are starting to play very well
    just need more goals, i think :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    Did you all see Our Friends in the North on TV - which was Daniel Craig's first role, I think, where the came to public notice along with Gina McKee, Christopher Eccleston and Mark Strong, and a few others. Brilliant series by Peter Flannery - great picture of Great Britain during the Thatcher years.

My experience of this was limited to the trailers, unfortunately :(. It was one of those series I never saw, but was always aware of.....I must have had some other regular commitment at the time ;)

I couldn't miss Daniel Craig himself, though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very and a Liverpool Fan
    i hear :D

yes we are starting to play very well
    just need more goals, i think :p

He's a Liverpool fan!!
    Could he be more perfect? :o:D

And yes, we can't go on relying on Suarez
    Now can we? :eek:

Some of the young players are great though...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raheem Sterling, for example :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently Daniel Craig is on the Graham Norton Show tonight, if anyone's interested :p
  • Options
    GiddykipperGiddykipper Posts: 426
    Forum Member

I can see why you both would think this way, because John just dropped out of sight so suddenly - and it seemed so strange after he was clearly excited about his trip back to the UK.
    But because it seems strange, I can't help wondering if something happened to really upset him to the point where he just had to drop out of sight for a while. I really does seem out of character for him to ignore the people who made birthday vids for him etc. I don't suppose we are likely to know what really caused this, but I just hope he's OK.

In an odd kind of way, I was quite relieved to see him come out fighting last week - at least we knew that he was getting on with life back home.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I’m a bit late to this, there’s a fair chance i’ve missed bits, I’m scanning cause it’s taken an age to read back. Loads of really good posts i totally agree with

Based on the gist i have I’m guessing the reason for him freaking out now is because in the past digs/comments about him were about how shit he was in some way or another, bad boyfriend, bad person etc etc. This time there was a suggestion that he might be trying to get back in touch with her which is totally different, if it were true it would make him look weak or desperate and I would imagine that would make him furious. It seemed a bit unplanned and frantic, wonder how he feels about it now, hopefully he thinks screw it and he’s glad he got a little off his chest, admittedly it could have been a bit smoother lol

He may have also been stewing a bit from the Scott/Josie exchange on twitter, he must have had some falling out with him and as they were friends for something like 10 or so years that must have stung a bit

I understand where people are coming from with the comments about feeling John should say thanks, speak to people or something like that although that’s not how I feel at all. To me he did enough when he was in the UK just a few months ago and if he had planned to pretty much leave it at that then that’s fair enough. If he wants to move on he should. He’s said his thanks plenty of times and I’m happy enough to take him at his word there. Maybe he hadn’t planned to use twitter any time soon but to keep it open in case of any messing (which there was) or to say happy Christmas in December or whatever

And I don’t want to be too dramatic but i really think people underestimate the effect this whole thing has had on him, like oh that all happened ages ago get over it or something but if anyone thinks back to things that went on in your own life a couple of years ago it’s a big deal to you, this is his life and there seems to still be some bitterness there and fair enough.

And re fame i just think he was bewildered by the whole thing, probably made even weirder by the fact that he was pretty lonely in the uk and what’s to miss with that kind of fame, a few bob and the support of a few often highly critical people (present company excluded)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see why you both would think this way, because John just dropped out of sight so suddenly - and it seemed so strange after he was clearly excited about his trip back to the UK.
    But because it seems strange, I can't help wondering if something happened to really upset him to the point where he just had to drop out of sight for a while. I really does seem out of character for him to ignore the people who made birthday vids for him etc. I don't suppose we are likely to know what really caused this, but I just hope he's OK.

In an odd kind of way, I was quite relieved to see him come out fighting last week - at least we knew that he was getting on with life back home.:)

Hi
    I missed your post while i was taking an age to make a point there lol

I suppose he's often disappeared for stages and then pops back up again.

But yeah I know what you mean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apparently Daniel Craig is on the Graham Norton Show tonight, if anyone's interested :p

You can keep Daniel Craig, he squints all the time like he’s looking through some dense fog and the way he pouts makes him look like he’s just about to whistle lol

I really want to see Skyfall in the cinema, it’s one to see on the big screen i reckon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can keep Daniel Craig, he squints all the time like he’s looking through some dense fog and the way he pouts makes him look like he’s just about to whistle lol

I really want to see Skyfall in the cinema, it’s one to see on the big screen i reckon

Hello Jonathan :D Good to see you :)

Well, I think the slight squint just makes him look thoughtful.....and I can't say I've particularly noticed the pout :p What I would say is that he is a better actor than interviewee, because basically, like a lot of actors, he's quite shy, and is happier to be 'in character'. Whatever.....I just think he's great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Off to bed now :yawn:

Sleep tight all :sleep: :sleep:

Lindy xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I’m a bit late to this, there’s a fair chance i’ve missed bits, I’m scanning cause it’s taken an age to read back. Loads of really good posts i totally agree with

Based on the gist i have I’m guessing the reason for him freaking out now is because in the past digs/comments about him were about how shit he was in some way or another, bad boyfriend, bad person etc etc. This time there was a suggestion that he might be trying to get back in touch with her which is totally different, if it were true it would make him look weak or desperate and I would imagine that would make him furious. It seemed a bit unplanned and frantic, wonder how he feels about it now, hopefully he thinks screw it and he’s glad he got a little off his chest, admittedly it could have been a bit smoother lol

He may have also been stewing a bit from the Scott/Josie exchange on twitter, he must have had some falling out with him and as they were friends for something like 10 or so years that must have stung a bit

I understand where people are coming from with the comments about feeling John should say thanks, speak to people or something like that although that’s not how I feel at all. To me he did enough when he was in the UK just a few months ago and if he had planned to pretty much leave it at that then that’s fair enough. If he wants to move on he should. He’s said his thanks plenty of times and I’m happy enough to take him at his word there. Maybe he hadn’t planned to use twitter any time soon but to keep it open in case of any messing (which there was) or to say happy Christmas in December or whatever

And I don’t want to be too dramatic but i really think people underestimate the effect this whole thing has had on him, like oh that all happened ages ago get over it or something but if anyone thinks back to things that went on in your own life a couple of years ago it’s a big deal to you, this is his life and there seems to still be some bitterness there and fair enough.

And re fame i just think he was bewildered by the whole thing, probably made even weirder by the fact that he was pretty lonely in the uk and what’s to miss with that kind of fame, a few bob and the support of a few often highly critical people (present company excluded)

Morning Jonathan - nice to see you again. As always you make very interesting and cogent points.

Thinking about the points you made, I think you could be right and I think John stewing about things over which he had no control probably has stuck with him.

I have always said that the lack of a support network in the UK made things worse. At least he had JJ and Dave - who probably helped him when the relationship with Josie broke down. We will never know the full story unless we hear it from John, so perhaps you are right and we - as well as John and Josie - should move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hmmm - Jonathan - Daniel does NOT squint all the time. He didn't in Defiance or Our Friends in the North - and he and Dame Judy Dench were a great double act last night on Graham Norton. I did feel a bit sorry for Javier who wasn't really given equal time and missed a couple of the jokes.

I too want to see Skyfall - o/h isn't interested so will have to rustle up one of my friends.

Busy day today - out to lunch to meet some friends - and then busy packing for our trip.
  • Options
    bbloverbblover Posts: 41,663
    Forum Member
    I think all of yo make good observations,and the answer is probably a mixture of all those points.:)

Nice to see Jonathan and Deefs on the posting board:D:)

Let us know if anyone of you went to see Sky Fall:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Hi Johnathan - I tend to disagree with you on this point. John came back and started tweeting - he was not forced at taser point :eek: to tweet people. So when he returned home it was not asking too much to say - "chat the next time I'm over guys" or WTTE, common decency I would say really:)
This discussion has been closed.