Options

Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one thing bale does provide is a willingness to run at the opposition which is something we badly lacked last night. I lost count of the times I was yelling "just get to the byline!"
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all the drama, I haven't mentioned abouot Daws' England call-up! Fully deserved, I just hope he doesn't get injured!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basle then, good luck with that one, I have a feeling that you could win that one!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a good draw. Not taking it for granted but it could have been worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could've been worse i suppose. looks like a home tie in the first leg AGAIN
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basle then, good luck with that one, I have a feeling that you could win that one!
    Yes, the QF draw has been kind to us. We've avoided Benfica, the other English clubs and horrible trips away to Turkey or Russia.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

Dont bank on it - UEFA regs say no two teams can play in the same city at the same time. You or Chelsea may have to swap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could be intruiging if all the English clubs get through - could feasibly have an all premiership final
    Dont bank on it - UEFA regs say no two teams can play in the same city at the same time. You or Chelsea may have to swap.

interesting. I'd be happy if it was us who swapped. don't they also draw the semis as well today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much the perfect draw all round for us. Would have preferred to be away first, but oh well. Tough game for Newcastle, and Chelsea have to go to Russia. Nothing's certain obviously, but that's the best we could have hoped for I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But where would we be without the drama of the second leg away where we conspire to make life difficult for ourselves!
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said on here before the game that if we went couple of goals down panic would set in. It wasn't a difficult call to make as a lot of our performances this season have been woeful but we've scraped results and the inconsistency of teams around us have helped maintain our league position.

The last two games should have really brought home to even the most die-hard Spurs fan the glaring inadequacies of our Squad. Now I agree and I'm sure AVB can see that we have some very good individual players but they are outnumbered by those who are simply good but average in that they can do a job but in themselves are never going to be remembered after they stop playing.

Another concern of AVB's, I'm sure, is the lack of football nous a number of our players often display, especially in important games. We'll all have our own opinions on which players those are and so, more importantly, will AVB. This summer I fully expect some on here will be very surprised by which of our players will be moved on. Personally, I won't be surprised to see us chasing new fullbacks, new strikers, a wide right MF and another creative AM.

Oh by the way, of course I'm happy we scraped through last night but I can't see us getting to the final unless the team finds some consistent form and certain players can stop making schoolboy errors.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it preferable to have the second leg at home? I tend to think that the hope/impact of an away goal in the second leg is psychologically a little better? I suppose both have advantages and disadvantages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would suggest Spurs may have to swap as Chelsea the first week in April have a match Saturday-Monday-Thursday-Sunday and I doubt they fancy going to deepest darkest Russia in the middle of it.

Doubt Spurs would mind having their first leg away from home.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They said before the draw no country or city restrictions the team drawn at home will play at 8 apart from Ruban due to the time zone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    They said before the draw no country or city restrictions the team drawn at home will play at 8 apart from Ruban due to the time zone

So they dont class Spuds and Chelsea as being in the same city? Fair enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is phew I wonder who's next?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where have I indicated this or them??? All teams at home will stay at home and will be kicking off at 8 on the Thursday apart from Ruban who will kick off at 6 is what they said
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really want Chelsea to win their replay with United now. That would mean a trip to Russia for them right before that, and our game being postponed giving us a bit of a rest over that weekend before we play them, whenever that would end up being.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Where have I indicated this or them??? All teams at home will stay at home and will be kicking off at 8 on the Thursday apart from Ruban who will kick off at 6 is what they said

Normally UEFA do not allow two teams in the Europa League (and Champions League) to play in the same city on the same night, as Liverpool/Everton found out a few years ago. So I am surprised they have relaxed it on this occasion.

It is in their regulations somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally UEFA do not allow two teams in the Europa League (and Champions League) to play in the same city on the same night, as Liverpool/Everton found out a few years ago. So I am surprised they have relaxed it on this occasion.

But what would happen if there were three London clubs still in the competition for instance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    But what would happen if there were three London clubs still in the competition for instance?

God knows :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my Nan use to always say that Tottenham use to be a village in Middlesex before London swallowed it up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Is it preferable to have the second leg at home? I tend to think that the hope/impact of an away goal in the second leg is psychologically a little better? I suppose both have advantages and disadvantages.
    If you win the home leg and don't concede then I think yes it's a great position to be in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess they must just not see it as a security concern or something
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Yes, we missed Bale. Any more than we missed Daws, Lloris and Benni, or Lennon from the start? Not IMO. We missed them all. Sticking Bale in, with the same defence, wouldn't have made much difference IMO.

I dont think we missed Lloris last night. Brad wasn't at fault for the goals, and made some very good saves. Bennis form has not returned to that of previous seasons, so I'm not sure about him either.

Daws, Bale and Lennon are essential for me though.

I dont know what happened last night though. It seemed we were happy to try and keep the ball, without playing with our normal attacking force. The defence were woefully exposed all the time though, because despite keeping the ball for periods, we ended up giving it away, and they broke at speed, and in behind us.

I guess that is inexperience at playing this type of leg in Europe.

When we needed to go for it, we had a great five minutes at the start of extra time, scored, then went back to the style of earlier.
This discussion has been closed.