ITV - Home Fires (Merged)

CosmicgirlCosmicgirl Posts: 1,303
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else watching this.......

I'm not sure if I can get into it or not! I'm sticking with it for this 1st episode, nearly over anyway, but I'm just not sure......

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Yes I am watching it, I'm quite enjoying it.it kind of reminds me of call the midwife, all women together, holding thing together.

Loving the homes and the clothes.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    She will pay for that if it was the fish :(poor woman.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant drama
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say it didn´t wow me but it was pleasant enough for a Sunday night!

I liked the institute bits but some of the home scenes were very cliched and obvious and some of the casting was odd ... the doctor and his wife didn´t seem much older than their daughters!

But it was entertaining enough so I will probably tune in next week!
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with cosmicgirl - can't really make up my mind whether I like this or not. Nearly gave up at the start with the dizzy direction in the opening scenes but stuck with it to see. Absolutely nothing new here - it passes an hour, and is the kind of old-fashioned drama I usually like, but at the minute I can take it or leave it. By the way, where do I know the actor playing the doctor from?
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it or leave it with me too. Not too sure about the directing and acting at the moment.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. I think it will get a lot grittier as it goes along.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    Agree with cosmicgirl - can't really make up my mind whether I like this or not. Nearly gave up at the start with the dizzy direction in the opening scenes but stuck with it to see. Absolutely nothing new here - it passes an hour, and is the kind of old-fashioned drama I usually like, but at the minute I can take it or leave it. By the way, where do I know the actor playing the doctor from?

I am thinking the same thing
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. The first episode was really just introducing the characters. Once the war has started and the men go off I think it will turn out to be a good drama and ideal for a Sunday night.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great. I was three years old when this took place! I feel sorry for Pat with the so-called writer for a husband. Hope he gets called up!
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looked it up - Ed Stoppard - only thing I can see he was in that I saw any of was Upstairs Downstairs so that must have been it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ed Stoppard. you may have seen him in Upstairs Downstairs
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I think it will get a lot grittier as it goes along.

Yes, I think so too.
    First off I just wish Nasty Husband had died.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked it but I can't understand the logic of some wanting to close down a WI during wartime.

I loved the Al Bowlly singing.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His name is Ed Stoppard and he's the son of Tom Stoppard and Miriam Stoppard. He played Brian Epstein in 'Cilla' .
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His name is Ed Stoppard and he's the son of Tom Stoppard and Miriam Stoppard. He played Brian Epstein in 'Cilla' .

Thank you
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pleasant change from some of the depressing dramas we've had recently.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bel110 wrote: »
    I have to say it didn´t wow me but it was pleasant enough for a Sunday night!

I liked the institute bits but some of the home scenes were very cliched and obvious and some of the casting was odd ... the doctor and his wife didn´t seem much older than their daughters!

But it was entertaining enough so I will probably tune in next week!
    Agree with this, it didn't sway me much but it seems suited for that Sunday night time slot. Also agree about the doctor - I initially thought they were house mates at first until she said something about being around for his daughters!
  • lynbrownlynbrown Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    I liked it but I can't understand the logic of some wanting to close down a WI during wartime.

yes, we never got a reason for wanting to shut it down.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it!
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was also in The Musketeers, he's rather dashing.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

So did I. I didn't know who it was, but it was lovely.
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Yes, I think so too.
    First off I just wish Nasty Husband had died.

He's a right nasty piece of work. Poor woman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Young women tended to dress like their mothers back then, hence the daughters of the doctor looking similar in age to their parents. The blonde girl at the end who was going out with the postman looked like Bethany from Corrie , I don't think it was her though .