Any Car Mechanic-Type People?

LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, so I was just checking in horror how dirty my wheels were when I noticed that on one side I seem to have lost some of the inside of my wheel arch near the bottom. It's a bit jagged and has obviously ripped off at some point, but I don't know if it's recent (can't think when though as I am careful and definitely no off-roader!) or if it's always been there and I just never noticed as the car is second hand.

Anyway, I guess my question is would it in some way damage the car or engine etc. to leave it like this, or is it just a cosmetic issue? I've got a service coming up in a few weeks and if it's going to be a horribly expensive necessity I'd like to prepare myself and cry bitterly about it now!

Anybody in the know?

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real danger is that your flux capacitor could need replacing as a result. But they're usually only around fifty quid supplied and fitted.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the plastic inner wheel arch?
    Or the wing itself?
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the inner bit.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its basically there to help keep spray water from the tyres out of the engine bay.
    It's not part of the service and i'm 99% sure it's not part of the MOT either.
    They may suggest that you get it changed but you don't have to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of car is it? You'll probably be OK but I'd try and get a replacement from a scrappy or something. Some cars don't have them at all, especially on the back.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your flux capacitor could need replacing as a result
    That's on US models. With British models it could damage the fluid links http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Fluid_link
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a newer style KA...not a tardis, although more roomy than you might think on the inside :)
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A photo would help.

If you could also take one of that damage, that might help, too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I'll see what I can do!
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probobly about 5 10mm bolts hold it on. Go to a scrap yard where there are cars you can take bits off your self. Pay £5-10, pocket the screws/bolts/clips

Jack the car up as per your hand book, place the wheel under the floor of the car so even if the jack slipped the car would fall on the wheel, undo the bolts. Fit the new one
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony13579 wrote: »
    It's probobly about 5 10mm bolts hold it on. Go to a scrap yard where there are cars you can take bits off your self. Pay £5-10, pocket the screws/bolts/clips

Be careful doing this, i've heard stories of people being dragged into vans and given a good kicking by the scrappies for trying to pocket things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, keen to avoid good kickings etc. (!) I got my Uncle to take a look at it and he has assured me that it won't be too expensive, which is the main thing (and if he's wrong then he will be getting a good kicking!)

Thanks for all your help though everyone, it calmed me down when I was freaking out. You're all stars :)