Options

Sudbury TX

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just going to be putting an aerial up in my loft in Ipswich, just wondered what the weakest multiplex is on the sudbury TX to get the best alignment ?

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might be a slight advantage to Mux PSB2, being the lowest frequency on Ch 41 and COM2 on Ch 60 might be a bit weaker, but all the Sudbury Mux are the same power.

There may be differences between them at the specific location of your aerial, but that is a matter for your location, not the transmitter. A change in the position of your aerial by only a few inches might (or might not) change the best Mux from one to another.

It is really impossible to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks I plan to put an aerial in the loft like this one on eBay : code 300914106153
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes channel 60 is very bad here.
    I sometimes get better signal from channel 59 which is Dover or channels 22 , 25 , 28 LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is it bad fella? Spoke to my dad he lives in a bungalow in a dip loft aerial and gets all channels
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing you must do when installing the aerial is check every mux for good reception. Do not base the position of the aerial on a single mux.

A problem with lofts is reflections bouncing around inside. These arrive at the aerial along with the direct signal and can cause problems that only affect one mux. If you move the aerial to improve the affected mux you often find another mux now has problems. So it is important to check all muxes every time you move the aerial.

And do you have insulation up there? If it is the type with a metal foil layer it can affect reception badly. Basically lofts are not the best places to install an aerial, though they are easier than climbing on the roof.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem might arise when I line it up because I will need to basically need to point it at my neibours wall doh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    The problem might arise when I line it up because I will need to basically need to point it at my neibours wall doh
    That's not good. Especially if it also points through the wall at the opposite end of the neighbours property. Each wall will attenuate the signal somewhat. The best option for loft mounting is pointing through the roof. But it might be a bit difficult to swing your house round to allow that :)

A lot will depend on how close you are to Sudbury. If you are close enough to get a really strong signal then the attenuation through the walls might not be as much of a problem as it would be if you are in the fringes of reception and need every microvolt of signal you can get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East Ipswich, if you know Ipswich the town is in a dip so I would looking across it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the postcode for the Hospital gets this on the Digital UK website

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/IP4+5PD/1/0/NA

So around 30km from Sudbury. So depending on the intervening terrain you might stand a chance.
  • Options
    Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I receive all of the Sudbury channels at almost full strength via a log periodic aerial in my loft here in Kesgrave.

I also have a loft aerial pointing at Tacolneston and can receive most of the channels at about 45% strength ( but not the low powered Mustard TV).