Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    She had a good set of lungs on her (Whoever she was)
  • Options
    Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poorest pre-show of the year so far only talking about Lewis and his team mate. Come on guys you can do so much better than this.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Matt LeBlanc bloody Keanu Reeves bloody Pamela Anderson argh.
  • Options
    tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Bloody Matt LeBlanc bloody Keanu Reeves bloody Pamela Anderson argh.
    Glad I'm not the only one fed up with seeing these three this weekend. Boring!
  • Options
    EchtiEchti Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    The amount of heli shots today is insane.
  • Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Sky putting this on SS1 as well as SSF1 a sign that they are thinking of scrapping the F1 channel altogether?
  • Options
    tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Is Sky putting this on SS1 as well as SSF1 a sign that they are thinking of scrapping the F1 channel altogether?
    That thought had crossed my mind earlier this evening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    That thought had crossed my mind earlier this evening.

Another theory I have just heard is a american channel 'piggybacks' ss1 over in American so they have hoyed it on SS1 to to try and increase ratings in the states
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great race and good show for the American fans. Not sure about Andretti's podium interviews though!
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Another theory I have just heard is a american channel 'piggybacks' ss1 over in American so they have hoyed it on SS1 to to try and increase ratings in the states
    Surely that wouldn't work, as NBC has an exclusive contract to show F1 races in the US, no?
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ABC used Ben/Wattie from F1 Digital+ back in 2002 for their broadcasts as they wound down their coverage. However, since I believe NBC are the exclusive rights holder in the USA who have their own team I don't see which other channel over there would take the Sky output.

The World Feed simply put is not enthusing me at the moment. My perception is that we are seeing an overload of distant helicopter shots, about 50% of the camera angles are 'Ad Revenue' positions and every race without fail we will see some angles of 'VIPs' enjoying themselves from privileged positions.

I can't help but feel somewhere along the journey from when FOM took control of most races in 2007 they have drifted from the F1 Digital+ mentality of 'best possible coverage' to 'best coverage to try and promote Formula 1 and its commercial partners'. The 2002 season was terrible, yet I was enthused by their coverage every single race. Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Surely that wouldn't work, as NBC has an exclusive contract to show F1 races in the US, no?

No idea mate, I was quoting another theory I read somewhere else
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    The 2002 season was terrible

I beg to differ there.
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incast wrote: »
    The World Feed simply put is not enthusing me at the moment. My perception is that we are seeing an overload of distant helicopter shots, about 50% of the camera angles are 'Ad Revenue' positions and every race without fail we will see some angles of 'VIPs' enjoying themselves from privileged positions.

I can't help but feel somewhere along the journey from when FOM took control of most races in 2007 they have drifted from the F1 Digital+ mentality of 'best possible coverage' to 'best coverage to try and promote Formula 1 and its commercial partners'. The 2002 season was terrible, yet I was enthused by their coverage every single race. Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter.

I've got to agree, the world feed just hasn't been doing it for me for a couple of years - it's not completely terrible, but it's just not great. There's so much more potential there that we're just not seeing and that makes me sad. Many distant shots throughout the weekend, and not just from the heli-telly. As for the slebs :confused: I'd still love to see what Sky or BBC could do...
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ there.

Er... bit of a misquote there. Mind fixing?
  • Options
    IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You aren't going to passionately argue on my behalf why 2002 wasn't very good? :D

I was told there would be pointless arguments on the internet!
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Why do you all dislike Heli shots so much? Is it because you can't see the cars clearly?

I'm not too fussed about adverts being present in the shots, real or virtual, as long as I can still see the cars. Although I wish the adverts were more varied. I loved Monaco from a couple of years ago cos there were loads of different ads & billboards, almost like a collage on the hill going down to the tunnel. Looked wonderful. Better than simply Santander's logo plasted everywhere.

However I admit cutting away to celebs can get a bit annoying, although Rowan Atkinson's reaction shot a couple of years ago at the Indian Grand Prix was quite funny. Those sorts of single-person-in-the-pits reaction shots would be better done as a PIP shot IMO, cos then you're not missing anything on track. I'm starting to warm to PIP admittedly, providing it's done as an insert in the top right or something, not as a whole half-screen vertical split down the middle, surrounded by borders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you all dislike Heli shots so much? Is it because you can't see the cars clearly?

Yes, and the same with the long shots from the normal camera positions. There are much better shots they could use in many cases. IMO the camera work this year on BTCC has easily been superior to what FOM have produced, on a fraction of the budget.
    I'm not too fussed about adverts being present in the shots, as long as I can still see the cars. However I admit cutting away to celebs can get a bit annoying, although Rowan Atkinson's reaction shot a couple of years ago at the Indian Grand Prix was quite funny.

I'm less worried about the presence of adverts (after all they are nothing new) but they seem to dominate many shots these days whether CGI or real. They've even gone out of their way more recently to add more structures above the track that serve no functional purpose except to show adverts, which means some of the long shots are even more useless because half the straight is obscured.

Rowan Atkinson's reaction was very funny, I have no objection to playing in clips like that :D But random slebs looking bored or just staring at a monitor, I do object to. Reminds me back when the directors (non-FOM probably in those days) were obsessed with Hakkinen's missus for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking up from the edit...
    Although I wish the adverts were more varied. I loved Monaco from a couple of years ago cos there were loads of different ads & billboards, almost like a collage on the hill going down to the tunnel. Looked wonderful. Better than simply Santander's logo plasted everywhere.
    I quite agree, variety looks much less naff if done properly. The current 3 or 4 companies with their damned logo plastered everywhere just looks utterly desperate. It also makes the tracks look even more homogeneous, since there's little variety trackside from country to country. So the companies look desperate for attention (as in "closing down sale" type desperation), and F1 looks it can't attract interest from more than a handful of sponsors. Whatever the reality, that's how it comes across to me.
    Those sorts of single-person-in-the-pits reaction shots would be better done as a PIP shot IMO, cos then you're not missing anything on track. I'm starting to warm to PIP admittedly, providing it's done as an insert in the top right or something, not as a whole half-screen vertical split down the middle, surrounded by borders.

PIP would indeed be an improvement, if they must cut in shots like that.
  • Options
    n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I think they should intergrated the lap counter / session timer into the f1 logo design instead of having it annoyingly center, it takes up too much space, maybe could having switching between the f1 logo and counter / timer every 5 laps for 3 seconds, do we honestly need the f1 logo displayed at all times, skys sports f1 hd logo is big enough already.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No mixquote - your bit after was all about the excitment of F1 Digital and it's extras. I found F1 2002 had many decent races - and that is just from council tv. I could pick out a a number of races that year.

I've mentioned before - 2003 for me still my fav year since I've been watching since late 90's.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    No mixquote - your bit after was all about the excitment of F1 Digital and it's extras. I found F1 2002 had many decent races - and that is just from council tv. I could pick out a a number of races that year.

I've mentioned before - 2003 for me still my fav year since I've been watching since late 90's.

Definitely 2012 for me, so many different race winners, so much overtaking, many good races. Wow.

Crofty liked his "Like a BBQ at Happy Hour" phrase didn't he, so much so he said it 3 times.

I've never been to a BBQ with a happy hour myself :D
    (Bet Crofty has though ;) )

Not toooo impressed with the overlay of the thermal graphic over the front tyres.
    Doesn't show enough to be worth it tbh (BIG NEWS! Tyres get HOT!!!!!)

And WHERE has my rotating camera gone? It was my favourite thing!
    I hereby volunteer to press the button to rotate it myself if FOM needs any help with it :p
    Get it back FOM
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crofty liked his "Like a BBQ at Happy Hour" phrase didn't he, so much so he said it 3 times.

Didn't he just.*

Joey gets a pass from me with the Episodes Grosjean hat.

Agree, missed opportunity for a Bev cookery feature, apart from Carl Fogarty I never heard of the others. Why not pre-record Natalie cooking VTs for Brazil / Abu Dhabi if stuck ?

*x3 too. :D
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    I was also bored of all the celebrity shots. They add the square root of diddly squat to the coverage (to put it politely). Why would anyone be even remotely interested in watching a celebrity sat/stood watching a screen with them then noticing they're on screen and waving? It's so pointless it's not even funny. Even PiP showing it is completely pointless, because it adds nothing. It's about as worthwhile as showing a bear eating pickled eggs on the ground.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    She had a good set of lungs on her (Whoever she was)
    Perhaps if she had not had her lungs turned up to 11 then her vocal chords would not have made a sound like a cat being strangled. :o
This discussion has been closed.