Game of Thrones (Season Three) (UK Pace)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    So hyped up for Thrones coming back. The trailer has currently got close to 7 million views on YouTube and is the main video featured on their home page. It seems like this season may well be where Robb starts to gain his revenge on Joff and Dany starts to make her way across to Westeros. Her army look pretty bad ass too. The next few weeks cant pass soon enough for me!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are blu-ray players region locked?

Some are, some aren't, and some aren't but can be made region free.
    I thought they got rid of that.

Nope.
    I know PS3 aren't anymore

No, the PS3 is region locked. It will play discs that themselves are region free, but will only play locked discs from the same region - e.g. a UK PS3 will play Region B discs but not Region A.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd really like Dany to eventually meet the other major characters. If I'm not mistaken, she never has yet, has she? I know she's aware of them and vice versa, but that's it. I'd love to see what she makes of Joffrey if she ever crosses paths with him. :D

I might finally start to find the Night's Watch story interesting now, since Season 2's ending with the White Walkers. Up until then, I've found the Night's Watch pretty uninteresting. Jon's always been nice to look at, though. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    No Dany has never met up with any of the other 'main' characters from Westeros yet. I would expect that could be changing soon enough though judging from what we see in the new trailer.

I cant wait to see what is going to happen with the White Walkers. Now they are on the march I can see season 3 kicking off with a bang!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    What I have never really understood about it is, they refer to Jaime Lannister as "king slayer" which is an insult, yet I suspect they'd all quite like to kill Joffrey and probably wanted to see Robert dead too (especially his brothers who thought they would make better kings). In order for Robb Stark to topple Joffrey, he'd have to kill the king and everyone else in Kings landing wouldn't he? Robert Baratheon had to kill the Targarean (sp?) king in order to become king himself. So why the "king slayer" insult? Surely that's the name of the whole game?
  • Durham ViperDurham Viper Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    What I have never really understood about it is, they refer to Jaime Lannister as "king slayer" which is an insult, yet I suspect they'd all quite like to kill Joffrey and probably wanted to see Robert dead too (especially his brothers who thought they would make better kings). In order for Robb Stark to topple Joffrey, he'd have to kill the king and everyone else in Kings landing wouldn't he? Robert Baratheon had to kill the Targarean (sp?) king in order to become king himself. So why the "king slayer" insult? Surely that's the name of the whole game?

Jaime Lannister is called the "Kingslayer" because he was a member of the Kingsguard, sworn to protect the King, but he actually murdered King Aerys himself when Roberts forces attacked Kings Landing. He was forgiven for breaking his vows and permitted to stay in the Kingsguard by Robert as part of Roberts alliance with House Lannister.
    Forum Member
    Jaime Lannister is called the "Kingslayer" because he was a member of the Kingsguard, sworn to protect the King, but he actually murdered King Aerys himself when Roberts forces attacked Kings Landing. He was forgiven for breaking his vows and permitted to stay in the Kingsguard by Robert as part of Roberts alliance with House Lannister.

Ah I see, so king Ares of house Targaryen is "the mad king"? Sometimes it's hard to keep up with this show! :D
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n order for Robb Stark to topple Joffrey, he'd have to kill the king and everyone else in Kings landing wouldn't he?

Robb has no ambition to take King's Landing or the Iron Throne. He simply wants to be King of the North. He is breaking away from the Seven Kingdoms. He is only in the south to free the Riverlands (his uncle's land) from the Lannisters.
    When he is done fighting Lannisters (assuming he can free the Riverlands), his goal will be to head north and restore Winterfell as the seat of power for the Kingom of the North and to rule his own kingdom. He won't care who is on the Iron Throne as long as they leave him alone. He would have liked Renly on the Iron Throne as he promised to let Robb have the north but that's a dead deal. Joffery and Stannis probably won't leave him alone though. So Robb would probably back Dany in her bid to take the Iron Throne assuming she granted him his wish of the North.
    Forum Member
    srhDS wrote: »
    Robb has no ambition to take King's Landing or the Iron Throne. He simply wants to be King of the North. He is breaking away from the Seven Kingdoms. He is only in the south to free the Riverlands (his uncle's land) from the Lannisters.
    When he is done fighting Lannisters (assuming he can free the Riverlands), his goal will be to head north and restore Winterfell as the seat of power for the Kingom of the North and to rule his own kingdom. He won't care who is on the Iron Throne as long as they leave him alone. He would have liked Renly on the Iron Throne as he promised to let Robb have the north but that's a dead deal. Joffery and Stannis probably won't leave him alone though. So Robb would probably back Dany in her bid to take the Iron Throne assuming she granted him his wish of the North.

Thanks for breaking it down a bit for me. I have season 1 on DVD and have seen season 2 but keep picking up different snippets that I missed the last time I watched it. I'm slow :D.

Is it beyond all possibility that Dany would join forces with Robb to form a marriage of convenience to totally overthrow the Lannisters? As this seems to be Robbs end goal, rather than being king of the North. I think he and Cat both want to see the back of the Lannister's for good and to get the girls back. A Targaryen and a Stark coming together would be a great union indeed. All Robb would need to do is get rid of his current wife!
  • seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading the Red Wedding half an hour ago and I'm still in shock - don't think I want to read anymore! :cry:

It's supposed to happen in ep 9 this season so everyone better start getting prepared!:(
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for breaking it down a bit for me. I have season 1 on DVD and have seen season 2 but keep picking up different snippets that I missed the last time I watched it

No problem, happy to help, that's what the thread is here for. Will give as much details as I can without being spoilery.
    Is it beyond all possibility that Dany would join forces with Robb to form a marriage of convenience to totally overthrow the Lannisters?

Not likely as Robb got married in Season 2, even though he was promised to a Frey as payment to cross the bridge into the south. So a Frey would be next in line to marry him should he become single again. As you said it "All Robb would need to do is get rid of his current wife!" which is not like him :)
    A Targaryen and a Stark coming together would be a great union indeed.
    This is what started the last big war and put Robert on the throne! Dany's older brother (the prince) took Ned's sister who Robert wanted to marry. Raegar raped her and kept her prisoner. Robert and Ned joined forces and raised an army to free her but she was killed. They went on to depose House Targaryen and take the Iron Throne.
    There would be some poetic justice in them getting together and putting the Targaryens back on the throne.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member

Quite. They use it as an insult to essentially call him a traitor.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the shadow dragon poster does not look as good as previous season posters I must admit it does look rather striking as a newspaper advert.
  • PerpetualAscentPerpetualAscent Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Thanks for breaking it down a bit for me. I have season 1 on DVD and have seen season 2 but keep picking up different snippets that I missed the last time I watched it. I'm slow :D.

Is it beyond all possibility that Dany would join forces with Robb to form a marriage of convenience to totally overthrow the Lannisters? As this seems to be Robbs end goal, rather than being king of the North. I think he and Cat both want to see the back of the Lannister's for good and to get the girls back. A Targaryen and a Stark coming together would be a great union indeed. All Robb would need to do is get rid of his current wife!

Have you watched the animated histories on the DVD? They explain quite a lot and talk about Robert's Rebellion from multiple perspectives (including Jamie's IIRC).

This article here, while long and detailed, doesn't have any spoilers from the books as far as I can see. Other pages on that wiki probably will, though.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope one of my favourite characters, Stannis, is in season three.

The iron throne is mine by right ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    Quite. They use it as an insult to essentially call him a traitor.

Jaime quite literally stabbed Aerys in the back
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raegar raped her and kept her prisoner.

Robert claimed she was raped and kept prisoner, no-one other than Ned and (now only) Howland Reed, who were the only two left alive at the end of the seige of the Tower of Joy, know for sure what happened there or how Lyanna died.

^^ is background information and not spoilers for none book readers by the way, it's briefly mentioned in series one.
    Forum Member
    Have you watched the animated histories on the DVD? They explain quite a lot and talk about Robert's Rebellion from multiple perspectives (including Jamie's IIRC).

This article here, while long and detailed, doesn't have any spoilers from the books as far as I can see. Other pages on that wiki probably will, though.

No not yet (I didn't even know there were animated histories) but I will watch them when I've got more time. It's not particularly difficult to follow but there is quite a lot of subtle information they drop into each set of dialogue that if you're not fully concentrating, you miss entirely. Plus some of the name take a bit of getting used to but are fantastic. Baratheon being one of my favourites. :D
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Very much looking forward to season 3, I'm hoping there's not many changes from the books, but then again the changes they made last season were mostly for the good in my opinion.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking good.

Kind of off-topic - I've just pre-ordered season 2 from play.com and I find it really annoying how bad we get it compared to the USA. They pay about £25 for the blu-ray. Which also includes DVD copies and digital copies. We pay more than that and only get blu-ray. Plus we have to deal with the stupid blue band at the top.
    Real shame about the HMV Lannister exclusive packaging too, since we can't get that any more.

I would just order it from amazon.com but it wouldn't play on my player.

All HBO blurays from the states are region free apart from Deadwood and will play on your bluray player. I always get my HBO boxsets imported because the packaging etc are so much better from over there. I've got the exclusive best buy stark edition for season one and yesterday my season 2 Lannister edition arrived. I use bluraysforeveryone.com. Fast shipping and relatively good value for an import. I think season 2 cost me just over £40 shipped.
  • misssdorianmisssdorian Posts: 12,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello!

Oh I'm so incredibly excited for season Three! Been watching series one and two over and over again :D

The new trailer looks amazing :cool:
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Exited missed a couple of episodes of the last series so need to fin it online to catch up.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robb has no ambition to take King's Landing or the Iron Throne. He simply wants to be King of the North
    I got the impression that even that was largely forced on him by his men. I suspect he'd bend the knee to the iron throne if someone sensible was sat on it.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I got the impression that even that was largely forced on him by his men. I suspect he'd bend the knee to the iron throne if someone sensible was sat on it.

I disagree, Renly was probably the least undesirable option of the three other kings (Joffrey and Stannis being the others) to Robb, but he still wouldn't accept him as King of all Westeros - remember, Catelyn said as much when she went as an envoy to both Renly and Stannis.

Robb wants to be the King in the North as srhDS pointed out. He also wants his sisters back, which means he has to deal with the South to an extent, but there's no way he would bend the knee to anybody.