Options

Sky Sports 5 - European Football Channel

Comments

• Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R/e Euro Qualifiers, it will be interesting to see if Sky insist on Gibralter's games (H + A) being *blocked* in the UK as the GBC normally streams it's games live and unblocked. As GIB have to play Ireland, Scotland, Germany and Poland I would imagine so.
  • Options
    Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky today announces good news for millions of its customers ahead of the new football season with confirmation that Sky Sports is to launch the first-ever television channel dedicated to European Football.

Sky customers should visit www.sky.com/2yearsfree on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited.
    Sky Sports 5 will screen up to 600 live European football matches next season featuring some of the best players, the best teams and the best competitions. Sky Sports 5 will be the seventh channel from Sky Sports and will be the home of European Qualifiers, UEFA Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey for Sky Sports viewers, plus a host of other European football programming including Revista De La Liga and Champions League Weekly.

For the first time Sky Sports will also offer exclusively live coverage of Holland’s top division Eredivisie. The new 4-year deal announced today will bring live matches each week to Sky Sports 5, enabling viewers to follow the domestic campaigns of the Netherlands’ top teams including Ajax, Feyenoord, FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven.
    Sky customers will be able to register for Sky Sports 5 from June 12 via red button, online and by calling Sky. In a further bonus, Sky Sports customers can also get two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited worth £7.50 a month. This, Sky’s best ever broadband offer, means people could save up to £330 – and get the great value of Sky’s totally unlimited broadband with no usage limits and no extra download charges.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports said: "Sky Sports 5 takes our unrivalled live football coverage to the next level offering more European football than ever before. There’s never been a better time to be a Sky Sports customer and with two years’ free totally unlimited broadband, we offer the ultimate package for sports fans."
    Sky ambassador David Beckham added: "Some of my greatest playing moments were on the European stage with Manchester United, playing in El Clasico for Real Madrid and captaining England in Euro qualifiers. Sky Sports 5 will offer all the drama and excitement that European football has to offer and I’ll certainly be gripped."
    Sky customers are reminded they should visit www.sky.com/2yearsfree on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited. Availability on other TV platforms will be confirmed closer to launch.
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    R/e Euro Qualifiers, it will be interesting to see if Sky insist on Gibralter's games (H + A) being *blocked* in the UK as the GBC normally streams it's games live and unblocked. As GIB have to play Ireland, Scotland, Germany and Poland I would imagine so.

It's possible but the Germany games will all be fta at 19.2 (on RTL I think) and they won't block those.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    Sky today announces good news for millions of its customers ahead of the new football season with confirmation that Sky Sports is to launch the first-ever television channel dedicated to European Football.

Sky customers should visit www.sky.com/2yearsfree on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited.
    Sky Sports 5 will screen up to 600 live European football matches next season featuring some of the best players, the best teams and the best competitions. Sky Sports 5 will be the seventh channel from Sky Sports and will be the home of European Qualifiers, UEFA Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey for Sky Sports viewers, plus a host of other European football programming including Revista De La Liga and Champions League Weekly.

For the first time Sky Sports will also offer exclusively live coverage of Holland’s top division Eredivisie. The new 4-year deal announced today will bring live matches each week to Sky Sports 5, enabling viewers to follow the domestic campaigns of the Netherlands’ top teams including Ajax, Feyenoord, FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven.
    Sky customers will be able to register for Sky Sports 5 from June 12 via red button, online and by calling Sky. In a further bonus, Sky Sports customers can also get two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited worth £7.50 a month. This, Sky’s best ever broadband offer, means people could save up to £330 – and get the great value of Sky’s totally unlimited broadband with no usage limits and no extra download charges.

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports said: "Sky Sports 5 takes our unrivalled live football coverage to the next level offering more European football than ever before. There’s never been a better time to be a Sky Sports customer and with two years’ free totally unlimited broadband, we offer the ultimate package for sports fans."
    Sky ambassador David Beckham added: "Some of my greatest playing moments were on the European stage with Manchester United, playing in El Clasico for Real Madrid and captaining England in Euro qualifiers. Sky Sports 5 will offer all the drama and excitement that European football has to offer and I’ll certainly be gripped."
    Sky customers are reminded they should visit www.sky.com/2yearsfree on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited. Availability on other TV platforms will be confirmed closer to launch.

That's all good and well but what will happen when the rights to the Champions Leauge moves to BT from the end of next season.
    I had hoped BT would have got the Dutch leauge but I guess they where not interested.

Darren
  • Options
    foxintheboxfoxinthebox Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you need to register for broadband in order to register for the channel?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think its a question of may......im sure they will and not just for an extra package.

agreed. i certainly think they'll make a serious play for the main package of matches.

the broadband offer is intruiging though. i suspect the most likely "catch" is that, as a minimum, you have to maintain a sky viewing contract throughout the two year "free" period or have SS5 for that period as well.

i honestly can't see them letting people sign up for 2 years of free broadband and then leave.
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible but the Germany games will all be fta at 19.2 (on RTL I think) and they won't block those.

it won't be blocked or many germans will protest outside of RTL offices
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably getting this wrong but are you only getting this channel if you commit to another two years broadband with sky.

I was thinking of switching broadband in the next few weeks
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On SSN they said its free for sky customers and no mention of the broadband deal.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Available to Virgin Media subscribers too. Not sure about this, surely the other four main Sky Sports channels will lose a lot of content?
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what? the content is still there just spread around more? Its not like anything is getting taken away. Sky often have to show la liga behind the red button or monday nights online due to the congestion of the 4 channels not to mention other sports.
  • Options
    thebestbitthebestbit Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Pointless channel and excuse for sky to hike the bill up. Some people already falling for it.

The bill should be going down considering they losing rights to champions league after this season. So this channel is pointless. Plus atleast have one of the other three big leagues included too.

If Sky hike the bill up, I will be really annoyed. They have lost out on champions league and fa cup. I also see the downgrading of the champions league has started. It won't be the holy grail anymore as it's not on sky .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About the broadband offer*:
    This exclusive broadband offer, available from 12 June, entitles Sky TV Sky Sports customers to two years’ free, totally unlimited broadband worth £7.50 a month. Alternatively, Sky TV Sky Sports customers can also enjoy totally unlimited Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, delivering speeds of up to 38Mb/second for just £10 a month, rather than the regular monthly price of £20. To take up the offer customers should go online to Sky.com/2yearsfree or call Sky from 12 June onwards.

Source : https://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2014/sky_sports_launches_new_channel_dedicated_to_european_football
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So this was announced to deliberately shaft Virgin, right?

Virgin announce new Sky Sports 1-4+News deal last month, then today Sky announce Sky Sports 5 - only on Sky.

Very transparent.
  • Options
    rmclootrmcloot Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    So this was announced to deliberately shaft Virgin, right?

Virgin announce new Sky Sports 1-4+News deal last month, then today Sky announce Sky Sports 5 - only on Sky.

Very transparent.

Virgin are also getting Sky Sports 5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont think it will just be on Sky Platform

This is from the same link I attached above about the new channel:

Sky TV Sky Sports customers will be able to register for Sky Sports 5 from 12 June via red button, online at Sky.com/2yearsfree and by calling Sky. The channel is included as part of the Sky Sports subscription. Availability on other TV platforms will be confirmed closer to launch.
  • Options
    Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    rmcloot wrote: »
    Virgin are also getting Sky Sports 5

Virgin have confirmed via their Twitter account that Sky Sports 5 will be available to their customers, and in HD too. Excellent news.

https://twitter.com/virginmedia/status/476277606439211008
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    About the broadband offer...

Makes sense. If you're not a sky sports subscriber though, it's probably not worth doing as you're committing £25 odd quid, or however much it is, just to 'save' £7.50
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    That's all good and well but what will happen when the rights to the Champions Leauge moves to BT from the end of next season.
    The channel will continue to show La Liga, Copa Del Rey, Eredivisie and European Euro/WC qualifiers. Presumably the later stages of Coppa Italia as well.

It seems like Sky are moving towards a model of specific content going on certain channels - SS2 is cricket, SS4 is golf and SS5 is European football. But it's not the other way round (i.e. certain channels for specific content, with one obvious exception) in order to maintain flexibility - so I wouldn't be surprised if, say, a tennis match found its way onto SS5 if SS1-4 were already full of live content.
  • Options
    BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what BT's response will be in time for the new football season ? 2 new channels perhaps ?? Sky could still claim to have more..
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    So the broadband would then go back to £7.50pm after the 2 years plus the line rental? Also do you have to be a current Sky Sports customer or could I upgrade today and still be able to get the deal? Also how long would the broadband contract be for?
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting move from Sky but I think a poor one tactically, BT will be doing all they can to make European football a key part of subscribing, Sky just can't compete so I'm not sure a dedicated channel like this is the right move.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    Boozyuzi wrote: »
    I wonder what BT's response will be in time for the new football season ? 2 new channels perhaps ?? Sky could still claim to have more..

To be filled with what? Until they get CL coverage in 2015-16 and any extra EPL their weekday offerings already look a bit thin. Seems to make more sense for BT to make their big push when those new deals kick in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    how come it says it's part of the sports package but you have to register online to get it?
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    I'm puzzled as to why it says SS customers could save up to £330 over 2 years. Even if you were paying the £10pm rather than £20pm, that's only £240 over the 2 years. Any ideas?