gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad move imo
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad enough for an early adopter such as me who bought a 500 gb machine, to find that several games fill up the hard drive. Now a machine with a double sized drive and a couple of games can be had as cheap.
    Yet again another PS4 variant. I remember how the Amiga 500/ 1200 panned out. I.e not a lot of 1200 sales.
    Best to put new features on a new console ?
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd save 4k for the next gen ps5. None of this half arsed half way methods to divide the audience
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about 1080p 60fps for all games that would be a start before you even think of 4k games
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about 1080p 60fps for all games that would be a start before you even think of 4k games

Will never happen, the more power Devs get the more they put graphics before performance, on consoles anyway.

They need to follow the PC way, give the gamers the choice to scale back effects to boast resolution and fps.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    This is ridiculous.

It obviously burns the early adopters like so many of us because we'll either have inferior machines or we'll have to cash out to get up to speed with the latest model.

Not to mention that they already want £350 for the PSVR, so why would anyone in their right mind spend, let's say £500 on PS4K and then another £350 on PSVR and then another £150 on the camera, Move and another DS4, when they could just buy a gaming PC.

Microsoft have also expressed interest in annually releasing new iterations of the Xbox, citing the iPhone as one of the major influences in that decision, and I just think the cost it will be to develop and produce these various "upgraded" iterations could massively impact these 2 companies, I just can't see the console crowd shelling out every year or 2 just to buy the newest model of the exact same console, it just won't work.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reasons I like console gaming is because everyone is on the same playing field and not feeling the need to keep upgrading hardware to keep up with everyone, if I wanted to do that then I'd buy a PC.

If upgrading consoles hardware become a thing then I think my gaming days is coming to an end.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm going to take this with a pinch of salt.

I believe they've thought about the idea and considered it but I don't see it happening in the PS4s lifetime. Maybe for PS5.

Although I do love the name PS4k so it's a shame.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hardware to produce 4k 60fps performance would have to have a significant decrease in price for it to viable to sell to a mass market, even in a PS5.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    d
    The hardware to produce 4k 60fps performance would have to have a significant decrease in price for it to viable to sell to a mass market, even in a PS5.

it would but I reckon we'd be looking at 3-4 years so there's time for prices to drop.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true I don't get it to be honest. The PS4 is in it's third year and will be at well over 40 million sold by the end of this year, why risk splitting the user base and annoying all those who've alreadyy bought one when they could just release the PS5 in about 3 or 4 years anyway.

Don't think many people would be willing to shell out £350 for PSVR and another similar amount for PS4.5 in a year or so. I know I wouldn't.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I read about the 7th core being opened up on the PS4 recently, is it not possibly with that happening and maybe the 8th being opened up in the future that many games could be 60 fps? Or a patch for existing games could give 60 fps or at least give players a chance to reduce some of the graphics settings in order to get 60 fps?
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have a 4k TV anyway.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope we don't see a PS4.5 system released as that totally goes against what I like about consoles.

I don't see Sony rushing out a PS4.5 this year what with them already focusing on releasing new hardware with PSVR. If they wait too long they might as well just release PS5, I doubt PS4 generation will be as long as last time so we are probably looking at 2018-2019 for PS5 anyway. By which time 4K TV will be more wide spread and hardware to process 4K gaming will be much cheaper so they could launch a 4K PS5 again at £350

But I could see Sony releasing a PS4VR system which included the external processing box inside a new PS4 model and possibly fully capably of 4K movies.
  • Options
    Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, in a console good enough for 4K, even at 30fps, the GPU alone would cost way more than an entire PS4.

More likely it'll be a PS4 with HDMI 2.0 and possibly 5GHz Wifi.
    Microsoft have also expressed interest in annually releasing new iterations of the Xbox, citing the iPhone as one of the major influences in that decision, and I just think the cost it will be to develop and produce these various "upgraded" iterations could massively impact these 2 companies, I just can't see the console crowd shelling out every year or 2 just to buy the newest model of the exact same console, it just won't work.

That turned out to be full of crap, Phil Spencer apparently has a strange idea of the meaning of hardware upgrades. He thought that adding software-based backward compatibility was a hardware upgrade. He thought PSVR was a hardware upgrade.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This rumour has been knocking around since late last year. We had a thread on it back then.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112910&highlight=

There are some people that upgrade their consoles every time there's a hardware revision or even a special edition. They'll probably lap this up.

This might not be much more than a 4K Blu-ray compatible drive and an upscaling circuit for games. In which case, unless you have a 4K TV it's nothing to worry about.

Even if there is a significant boost to specs allowimg better graphics it would be madness to abandon the current PS4 userbase, so you can practically guarantee the existing model will play all the games until a fully fledged PS5 arrives in a few years time.

As existing PS4 owners we already play games knowing that some PC owners are getting a "better" experience. All that changes here is some PS4.5 owners might be getting the same advantage. As long as games on the existing PS4 aren't suffering, it's no big deal.

Everything's still way too vague to worry about it just yet.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I don't think Sony will be releasing PS4.5, not least when they are launching VR later this year. Not every home has a 4K TV in the home, it will be some time before it becomes the norm, I dare say we aren't far off that now.

The other issue would be the cost, 4K isn't even pervasive on Desktop PCs let alone home consoles. Then the resources needed in which to facilitate such high resolutions is massive, I can't for the life of me see Sony being able to scale that and reduce the cost relative to the current model.

4K gaming is a long way off being mainstream, 1080p is ok for the foreseeable,
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Do not be believe this for second. Firstly the tech has only just blossomed on PC. We are at staged where it's possible but with a very big premium, and in some senarios graphical settings need to be lowered, even then still not maintaing a decent frame rate even on the most expensive GPU.

Best way to look at 4k gaming is its still in beta testing.
    It's long long time before your running the likes of Witcher 3 at stable 60fps at 4k with all graphics maxed out for instance.

Ps4 has done amazing, we are less two months away from the release of one of the most graphically stunning games in history with many more to come.

Sony wold deffentitly not risk shooting themselves in the foot, It would confuse those yet to go over next generation, there is simply no way around the fact for this to be a realistic option for 4k gaming i it would have to be about twice the price of the current model. Then we've got accept how many games could get running at 4k, without knocking down those settings ? It's three steps forward 5 backwards no matter what way you look at it.

I really do think some has misinterpreted and this will simply be a slimmed down model able to play 4k blu rays.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Eurogamer are saying that they know the PS 4.5 is real & that there sources say its been referred to as the Playstation 4k.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-in-theory-playstation-4k-is-real-but-why-is-sony-making-it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting piece so either
    more powerful ps4
    ps4 with better graphics card
    ps4 slim with 4k media
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think anything other than simply adding support for 4K media would be a mistake. You can't make a console that's more powerful for *games* partway through a generation, it's just stupidity...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like the idea but i cant understand why its alright for manufactures to do it with a smartphone and not consoles. is it because its always been this way with consoles and we dont like change? at what point did we decide it was accptable for smartphones manufactures to do this?

this is the point in time in which we decide if we stick with our old ps4 and the way its always been or follow the upgrade cycle. many people will stick with what theyve got but alot of people always want the newest and best be it console or phone and these people is who they are targeting because they get to sell them a PlayStation twice
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like the idea but i cant understand why its alright for manufactures to do it with a smartphone and not consoles. is it because its always been this way with consoles and we dont like change? at what point did we decide it was accptable for smartphones manufactures to do this?

this is the point in time in which we decide if we stick with our old ps4 and the way its always been or follow the upgrade cycle. many people will stick with what theyve got but alot of people always want the newest and best be it console or phone and these people is who they are targeting because they get to sell them a PlayStation twice

Phones make their money from expensive contracts and as part of those contracts they provide updated hardware every 12-18months to keep you subscribing.

Gaming on the other hand would suffer using a model like that as you have to purchase expensive games every couple of months or more frequently.

If you release hardware too often people wont have the money to spend on games and DLC.

Consoles generally sell for less than they cost to make at launch and make most of their money in the second half of their life cycle, if we had consoles released as frequently as phones we would probably be looking at the same kind of costs of a new phone which can be well over £500.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The big difference is smartphones don't need a regular diet of games costing up to £50 a pop to make it worthwhile owning one.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they should be working on a PS4 that plays PS3 discs.