Options

Beyoncè - Formation

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours of a Beyoncé and Mariah duet on the new album!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So excited for the new album. It's going to drop any day now.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Can't wait!!!

As it's April Fools tomorrow I can see there being a lot of rumours about the album being dropped / leaked / set lists and album tracklists being leaked etc, so I'll be weary. Still excited though.

The cover for Elle magazine for both the UK and US are out so maybe this is the start of it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder will we get it tomorrow...that's what it seems to be heading towards, however I have a feeling it might be Monday. There's already track listings doing the rounds on Twitter but they look fake to me. I can't wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah the setlist with Adele and Mariah doesn't seem legit to me.

Oh and I really hope she doesn't put it on as a bloody Tidal exclusive. I'd like it to be on iTunes like last time, no free for a certain time period or having to subscribe to things etc.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's coming tomorrow because TheBeyHiveTeam Twitter account said ages ago that there is no surprise release this time and she is going to announce it before it is released. The tracklist is fake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's coming tomorrow because TheBeyHiveTeam Twitter account said ages ago that there is no surprise release this time and she is going to announce it before it is released. The tracklist is fake.

Yeah, previously, well with every major artists tracklists seem to always be fake.

I'm happy with a traditional album release. I'm gonna be ready to pre-order that CD. When it leaks though it'll be hard not to listen, I don't think I'll be able to resist lol. Wonder if she'll do any countdown type thing?

It'd be cool if out the blue she said the album will be available in shops tomorrow lol, but in this day and age the album would've leaked days before so would never happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no album this morning. I'm now thinking Monday. Or, I'm wondering if maybe she'll just release it on the 27th...the day the tour starts.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    B is versatile in what she does from pop songs like Halo to RnB jams like Party to old skool like Love On Top to experimental music like 7/11

Versatile? Experimental music??? You have to be kidding...
    Rumours of a Beyoncé and Mariah duet on the new album!!

Bey, keep away from that thing and the awful cheesy stuff she squeels and calls music please, you are better than that.
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    Versatile? Experimental music??? You have to be kidding...

Bey, keep away from that thing and the awful cheesy stuff she squeels and calls music please, you are better than that.

I don't have to be kidding at all. You would be hard pressed to find a popstar of her magnitude with more versatility in their back catalogue or more versatility as a vocalist. Please qualify your reasons for thinking otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have to be kidding at all. You would be hard pressed to find a popstar of her magnitude with more versatility in their back catalogue or more versatility as a vocalist. Please qualify your reasons for thinking otherwise.

I have heard her discography, hun. 90% of the stuff released under her brand consists of safe mainstream R&B and pop songs.

Can you please explain to us how is 7/11 "experimental music"? What's your qualification? I'm always up for a good laugh :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have heard her discography, hun. 90% of the stuff released under her brand consists of safe mainstream R&B and pop songs.

Can you please explain to us how is 7/11 "experimental music"? What's your qualification? I'm always up for a good laugh :p

Lol. 7/11 was experimental as it was outside the mainstream when she released it. 'Pop' equates to popular, RnB to rhythm and blues so I'm not sure where you think 7/11 sits here. It was also an experimental song for her and her brand in general as the style was not consistent with the music she has released previously.

Beyoncé has proven time and again the versatility of both her voice and her craft. There is no other mainstream artist who has dabbled in hip hop, rnb, country, rock, trap, jazz etc. while also fusing different genres to create fresh sounds. There is no other mainstream artist who has been able to change their style, to fit songs that tribute Barbra Streisand and Etta James while scatting like Ella Fitzgerald in live performances to singing uptempo rap style songs on tracks like Upgrade U and Countdown. On the track I Been On she chopped and screwed her voice (a homage to her Houston roots where this technique was born) to rap over the track while sampling her own voice singing opera high notes as backing vocals.

Whether you like Beyoncé or not, there is no denying her versatility or range which is a statement backed up by many musical legends such as Prince, Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Paul McCartney etc. Her attention to detail and musicality is the reason she had 16 grammys by the time she was 30 and continues to be respected throughout the music industry.

I hope you enjoyed the laugh. Beyoncé certainly seems to be http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mOCCcBuy44E/VNAO21HfijI/AAAAAAAAKtc/GGoLfP3wUGY/s1600/grammy-beyonce-1.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. 7/11 was experimental as it was outside the mainstream when she released it. 'Pop' equates to popular, RnB to rhythm and blues so I'm not sure where you think 7/11 sits here. It was also an experimental song for her and her brand in general as the style was not consistent with the music she has released previously.

Beyoncé has proven time and again the versatility of both her voice and her craft. There is no other mainstream artist who has dabbled in hip hop, rnb, country, rock, trap, jazz etc. while also fusing different genres to create fresh sounds. There is no other mainstream artist who has been able to change their style, to fit songs that tribute Barbra Streisand and Etta James while scatting like Ella Fitzgerald in live performances to singing uptempo rap style songs on tracks like Upgrade U and Countdown. On the track I Been On she chopped and screwed her voice (a homage to her Houston roots where this technique was born) to rap over the track while sampling her own voice singing opera high notes as backing vocals.

Whether you like Beyoncé or not, there is no denying her versatility or range which is a statement backed up by many musical legends such as Prince, Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Barbra Streisand, Paul McCartney etc. Her attention to detail and musicality is the reason she had 16 grammys by the time she was 30 and continues to be respected throughout the music industry.

I hope you enjoyed the laugh. Beyoncé certainly seems to be http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mOCCcBuy44E/VNAO21HfijI/AAAAAAAAKtc/GGoLfP3wUGY/s1600/grammy-beyonce-1.jpg

Nnnn; thank you, it was better than I expected :D

So all music that's not currently mainstream is "experimental music" to you?? lol

Not even mentioning that trap is trendy af for quite some time and all kinds of mainstream artists from Kanye West to Katy Perry or Bieber are doing it, the kiis are killing me atm

Your claim that Bey is the only versatile mainstream artist is just deluded, there is plenty of popular artists that are doing interesting and diverse stuff like Kendrick and unlike her, some of them are even writing their own music, not just buying songwriting credits for vocal arrangements lol Ella never claimed songwriting credits for her arrangements that shit all over Beyonce, to claim she is scatting like her is just embarrassing. Have you ever heard Ella? Doubt it and I won't take your word for that after this.

And the fact you think Grammy's mean something or validate your claims is the most hilarious thing in your post, considering that the most innovative and diverse artists were often ignored by Grammy's and rarely won a competitive Grammy award, that's the case even with such legends like Bowie who never won one for his music.

But you do you, fanboy, thanks for the laughs ;-) >D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So all music that's not currently mainstream is "experimental music" to you?? lol

Not even mentioning that trap is trendy af for quite some time and all kinds of mainstream artists from Kanye West to Katy Perry or Bieber are doing it, the kiis are killing me atm

Your claim that Bey is the only versatile mainstream artist is just deluded, there is plenty of popular artists that are doing interesting and diverse stuff like Kendrick and unlike her, some of them are even writing their own music, not just buying songwriting credits for vocal arrangements lol Ella never claimed songwriting credits for her arrangements that shit all over Beyonce, to claim she is scatting like her is just embarrassing. Have you ever heard Ella? Doubt it and I won't take your word for that after this.

And the fact you think Grammy's mean something or validate your claims is the most hilarious thing in your post, considering that the most innovative and diverse artists were often ignored by Grammy's and rarely won a competitive Grammy award, that's the case even with such legends like Bowie who never won one for his music.

I think you are being a bit unfair on Beyoncé and the poster. Bey isn't experimental compared to Kendrick, Kanye or Julia Holter but she is compared to Katy Perry or Adele, even Gaga. I favor Tina, Aretha and Mary J, none of whom are particularly experimental or prolific writers. Nonetheless they are more than credible artists, so is Beyoncé.

As for Grammys, I presume Ella's 14 Grammys don't count for anything either?

I'm not sure about the Bowie comparison. Hitchcock never won an Oscar but he has critical recognition nonethless. Bowie is much the same as Hitchcock. Much of Bowie's best work was collaborative with Ronson, Eno, Fripp and Nile Rodgers.
  • Options
    Forum Member

http://youtu.be/XYMAEy4MAGw

Is that not scatting? Oh.

As for your other comments Kendrick is a great artist but you can't say his music is diverse, it's within one genre. It's great quality music but it's very much within the genre of hip hop. My point is that Beyoncé covers a broad range which again has been backed up by the music industry in its entirety but again, do you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I think you are being a bit unfair on Beyoncé and the poster. Bey isn't experimental compared to Kendrick, Kanye or Julia Holter but she is compared to Katy Perry or Adele, even Gaga. I favor Tina, Aretha and Mary J, none of whom are particularly experimental or prolific writers. Nonetheless they are more than credible artists, so is Beyoncé.

As for Grammys, I presume Ella's 14 Grammys don't count for anything either?

I'm not sure about the Bowie comparison. Hitchcock never won an Oscar but he has critical recognition nonethless. Bowie is much the same as Hitchcock. Much of Bowie's best work was collaborative with Ronson, Eno, Fripp and Nile Rodgers.

If she sounds more "experimental" compared to the most bland and safe mainstream artists out there is irrelevant. The music just isn't experimental music no matter how you look at it.

I was sayig that artists who were creating diverse and innovative music were often ignored by Grammy's and no, Ella isn't one of them, she was one of the greatest and most versatile vocalists, but still just a brilliant vocalist who wasn't creating music or experimenting with new musical directions.

I was talking about artists like Bowie who while being also a versatile vocalist, wrote and composed most of his music and was very innovative and often experimented while doing that.

By the way, the two albums Rodgers co-produced with him belong to his worst imho. Eno truly helped Bowie to find whole new sound and Ronson had creative input, but Bowie still wrote and composed most of the songs himself including the most well known ones. I'm not saying Bowie had no help, he certainly did, but he was the one with the visions responsible for melodies and lyrics and his creativity as composer, lyricist and a producer is obvious. It's apparent also when he was helping out with The Idiot for Iggy Pop or Transformer for Lou Reed, both masterieces. You just can't argue that he was a visionary - a very different kind of artist than Ella, Aretha, Whitney or Bey whom the Grammy's seem to love and often favour to visionaries and game changers.
    http://youtu.be/XYMAEy4MAGw

Is that not scatting? Oh.

As for your other comments Kendrick is a great artist but you can't say his music is diverse, it's within one genre. It's great quality music but it's very much within the genre of hip hop. My point is that Beyoncé covers a broad range which again has been backed up by the music industry in its entirety but again, do you.

Not even close to the brillance Ella was serving, not comparable at all.

You don't have to completely switch genres all the time to be experimental, most experimental artists were creating withing certain genre and evolving it. Kendrick is mostly rap/hip hop just like Bey is mostly r&b/pop, but unlike Bey, Kendrick is trying new approaches, blending hip hop with other genres in a very creative and unique way, experimenting with variety of new sounds what makes him an experimental and quite diverse artist and not just in comparison to mainstream ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If she sounds more "experimental" compared to the most bland and safe mainstream artists out there is irrelevant. The music just isn't experimental music no matter how you look at it.

I was sayig that artists who were creating diverse and innovative music were often ignored by Grammy's and no, Ella isn't one of them, she was one of the greatest and most versatile vocalists, but still just a brilliant vocalist who wasn't creating music or experimenting with new musical directions.

I was talking about artists like Bowie who while being also a versatile vocalist, wrote and composed most of his music and was very innovative and often experimented while doing that.

By the way, the two albums Rodgers co-produced with him belong to his worst imho. Eno truly helped Bowie to find whole new sound and Ronson had creative input, but Bowie still wrote and composed most of the songs himself including the most well known ones. I'm not saying Bowie had no help, he certainly did, but he was the one with the visions responsible for melodies and lyrics and his creativity as composer, lyricist and a producer is obvious. It's apparent also when he was helping out with The Idiot for Iggy Pop or Transformer for Lou Reed, both masterieces. You just can't argue that he was a visionary - a very different kind of artist than Ella, Aretha, Whitney or Bey whom the Grammy's seem to love and often favour to visionaries and game changers.

Not even close to the brillance Ella was serving, not comparable at all.

You don't have to completely switch genres all the time to be experimental, most experimental artists were creating withing certain genre and evolving it. Kendrick is mostly rap/hip hop just like Bey is mostly r&b/pop, but unlike Bey, Kendrick is trying new approaches, blending hip hop with other genres in a very creative and unique way, experimenting with variety of new sounds what makes him an experimental and quite diverse artist and not just in comparison to mainstream ones.

She did a great job on the scatting, she does a great job in every live performance for the most part and people continue to try and discredit her. Beyoncé is an RnB/Pop artist so yes, of course she is mainly within that field, but the original point was how versatile an artist she was and there is plenty of evidence in both her discography and her live performances to prove this right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has responded with the following when asked in an interview about the Formation controversy:

What do you feel people don't understand about who you really are, and in particular the message you've put forward with Formation?
    "I mean, I'm an artist, and I think the most powerful art is usually misunderstood. But anyone who perceives my message as anti Police is completely mistaken. I have so much admiration and respect for officers and the families of officers who sacrifice themselves to keep us safe. But let's be clear: I am against Police brutality and injustice. Those are two separate things. If celebrating my roots and culture during Black History Month made anyone uncomfortable, those feelings were there long before a video and long before me. I'm proud of what we created and I'm proud to be a part of a conversation that is pushing things forward in a positive way".

Well said, I agree with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did a great job on the scatting, she does a great job in every live performance for the most part and people continue to try and discredit her. Beyoncé is an RnB/Pop artist so yes, of course she is mainly within that field, but the original point was how versatile an artist she was and there is plenty of evidence in both her discography and her live performances to prove this right.

Discredit her? Where? I just proved your arguments wrong.

Did I say she is not a versatile vocalist? No. I was talking about the music hun.

Is she as versatile of a vocalist as Ella or scatting as brilliantly as her? No, she deffinitely isn't.

And does she create diverse and experimental music? No.

Is the music she releases diverse? Not exceptionally to brag about it when you have mainstream artists like Kanye, Rihanna, Madonna, Shakira and so on around. To change your sound a bit is kind of a norm if you want to stay in the game, and the easiest way to do that as many pop stars noticed and practice (and Beyonce certainly is a pop star) is to borrow from other genres, but not much to maintain the popular sound that sells. Simple as that.

So are there other diverse and also truly experimental popular artists? Hell yes.
    And countless of non mainstream as well.

Beyonce is a good vocalist, a good performer and entertainer. But she is overrated to high heavens, that's the only thing you proved in your posts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Discredit her? Where? I just proved your arguments wrong.

Did I say she is not a versatile vocalist? No. I was talking about the music hun.

Is she as versatile of a vocalist as Ella or scatting as brilliantly as her? No, she deffinitely isn't.

And does she create diverse and experimental music? No.

Is the music she releases diverse? Not exceptionally to brag about it when you have mainstream artists like Kanye, Rihanna, Madonna, Shakira and so on around. To change your sound a bit is kind of a norm if you want to stay in the game, and the easiest way to do that as many pop stars noticed (and Beyonce certainly is a pop star) is to borrow from other genres, but not much to maintain the popular sound that sells. Simple as that.

So are there other diverse and also truly experimental popular artists? Hell yes.
    And countless of non mainstream as well.

Beyonce is a good vocalist, a good performer and entertainer. But she is overrated to high heavens, that's the only thing you proved in your posts.

Lol! The fact that I'm still waiting for you to prove my points wrong when all you've done is literally say she's not versatile based on your own musical tastes. You have yet to prove one of my points wrong. We'll be here all day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She has responded with the following when asked in an interview about the Formation controversy:

What do you feel people don't understand about who you really are, and in particular the message you've put forward with Formation?
    "I mean, I'm an artist, and I think the most powerful art is usually misunderstood. But anyone who perceives my message as anti Police is completely mistaken. I have so much admiration and respect for officers and the families of officers who sacrifice themselves to keep us safe. But let's be clear: I am against Police brutality and injustice. Those are two separate things. If celebrating my roots and culture during Black History Month made anyone uncomfortable, those feelings were there long before a video and long before me. I'm proud of what we created and I'm proud to be a part of a conversation that is pushing things forward in a positive way".

Well said, I agree with her.

Great response. Point well made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol! The fact that I'm still waiting for you to prove my points wrong when all you've done is literally say she's not versatile based on your own musical tastes. You have yet to prove one of my points wrong. We'll be here all day.

Already did that, fanboy. Your denial is sweet though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Already did that, fanboy. Your denial is sweet though :D

I'm not sure what authority you have to determine any of the things you have posted other than 'this is what I think'. Go and educate yourself on what it is to prove a point. And don't be so condescending as to try and discredit my points by claiming I'm just some fanboy for Beyoncé. Your insecurities are really telling. You don't think Beyoncé is a versatile artist then find me the evidence that determines this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what authority you have to determine any of the things you have posted other than 'this is what I think'. Go and educate yourself on what it is to prove a point. And don't be so condescending as to try and discredit my points by claiming I'm just some fanboy for Beyoncé. Your insecurities are really telling. You don't think Beyoncé is a versatile artist then find me the evidence that determines this.
    There is no other mainstream artist who has dabbled in hip hop, rnb, country, rock, trap, jazz etc. while also fusing different genres to create fresh sounds.

lol

Your bias is very clear ;-)

You do you, why am I even wasting time with someone as deluded as you, who resorts to personal attacks always when he lacks counter arguments? My bad :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol

Your bias is very clear ;-)

You do you, why am I even wasting time with someone as deluded as you, who resorts to personal attacks always when he lacks counter arguments? My bad :cool:

I'm deluded yet you still are yet to list a mainstream artist who has crossed more genres than Beyoncé and instead decided to sit 'having a laugh' at my comments as they aren't in line with your own. Was 'fanboy' and your condescending tone not a personal attack? You still have yet to counter my point, so feel free not to waste your time any further. I don't need to debate online with wannabe music critics who try to dress up opinions as facts. Have a nice day. :)