Options

Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked past Yo Sushi in Silverburn the other day and they were playing Babymetal videos!
    Are they sponsored by them?
    That's a bit too 'corporate' for my liking.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I walked past Yo Sushi in Silverburn the other day and they were playing Babymetal videos!
    Are they sponsored by them?
    That's a bit too 'corporate' for my liking.

I've heard of this apparently being a common thing, not sure they're sponsored by them though, if they were I'm sure we'd know about it. The YoSushi employees just happen to be evident fans of the band, when my friend walked past one of their chains, he said some of the employees were watching the Wembley gig replay.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blues Pills though, that band are going places, for sure, same with Rival Sons, I genuinely think those bands will get to arena level at some point or another in the future.

Got to love this thread sometimes for the recommendations on band to listen to. Had a listen to Rival Sons earlier on Spotify and like what I heard.
    Have just started Blue Pills, so lets see what they are like
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard of this apparently being a common thing, not sure they're sponsored by them though, if they were I'm sure we'd know about it. The YoSushi employees just happen to be evident fans of the band, when my friend walked past one of their chains, he said some of the employees were watching the Wembley gig replay.

A quick Google of Babymetal and Yo Sushi does show quite a bit of collaboration between the two, particularly in the last month or so! :confused:
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    A quick Google of Babymetal and Yo Sushi does show quite a bit of collaboration between the two, particularly in the last month or so! :confused:

While I dislike sponsorship when its over- bearing I don't see much (any) evidence of it on the many videos or merch I have seen for Babymetal. If they are sponsored its low key and unobtrusive. Most festivals are overtly sponsored nowdays and so are the venues so its not a really big deal on this level.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Aww damn, now I want to go to YO! Sushi even more than I normally do! I end up getting like 6 bowls though and spending a fortune!
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First song of Tarja's new album

No Bitter End https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqZs-DFtx9g
  • Options
    ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member

Disappointing for me, sadly :(
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen Hawkwind on Saturday night if there are any fans on here, can catch them do so,they were on blistering form this time around with their new album "The machine stops".

It has got rave reviews all round and is a concept album.

Its number one in the Amazon alternative/rock charts,and is their best work for years.

Already booked to see them again in June.:)
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen Hawkwind on Saturday night if there are any fans on here, can catch them do so,they were on blistering form this time around with their new album "The machine stops".

Its number one in the Amazon alternative/rock charts,and is their best work for years.

I'm looking forward to seeing them @ Ramblin' Man fair, in July I've not seen them for a while I must admit!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm an old time fan, seen them several times during the 80's and early 90's. Have the latest album and its very good but missed out on a chance to see them in Cardiff lately.

I'm really glad they can still perform and write good albums though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If I were a musician and I'd spent time writing, and that was all I had at the end of it, I don't think I'd even bother releasing it. It's so dated and middle of the road. It sounds like a million other cheesy Euro metal bands. Even Delain are less middle of the road than this, at least Suckerpunch has a catchy chorus.

I presume they're going on the Tarja factor- might make them a few quid for a bit, not that Tarja needs it since she's married to that rich bloke! She's probably done alright from Nightwish herself. Would be the perfect time to release something different, but perhaps she's just not got the writing chops and is happy to put any old crap out.

I just listened to Stargazers after listening to this, no comparison, and that was 18 years ago. That album still sounds more original than this cack. I don't think she realised what she had there. If only they could have all put their egos to one side. Ocenaborn is still the only Nightwish album I ever truly liked, Tuomas seemed to disappear up his own rectum from Century Child onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to Avenged Sevenfold for the first time this week (Hail to the King) and i really like it, its derivative as hell but its bloody catchy metal for sure.

Also discovered a band called The Sword - totally different (stoner/doom) but I'm having a bit of Renaissance in metal lately - digging out a bit of Opeth and Mastodon amongst others.

Youtube is so very useful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I've listened to Avenged Sevenfold for the first time this week (Hail to the King) and i really like it, its derivative as hell but its bloody catchy metal for sure.

Also discovered a band called The Sword - totally different (stoner/doom) but I'm having a bit of Renaissance in metal lately - digging out a bit of Opeth and Mastodon amongst others.

Can't stand either of them! Each to their own though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Can't stand either of them! Each to their own though.

I can see how Avenged Sevenfold could be divisive amongst metal heads - they do sound really commercial and a bit too polished, but I'm a sucker for a tune.

I'm trying to find/discover some metal acts - post circa 1990, as long as its not numetal/rap I''ll give it a go.

Prefer Symphonic/Stoner/Prog metal though.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has Planet Rock moved ?

I've got it on my presets and list of DAB stations but I put it on yesterday after quite some time of not listening to it and I just got 'Service Not Available'......:o

I also noted that on the info bar it was called zPlanet Rock ?
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Has Planet Rock moved ?

I've got it on my presets and list of DAB stations but I put it on yesterday after quite some time of not listening to it and I just got 'Service Not Available'......:o

Yes you need to re-tune. Their website has the details
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you need to re-tune. Their website has the details

thanks........:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see how Avenged Sevenfold could be divisive amongst metal heads - they do sound really commercial and a bit too polished, but I'm a sucker for a tune.

I'm trying to find/discover some metal acts - post circa 1990, as long as its not numetal/rap I''ll give it a go.

Prefer Symphonic/Stoner/Prog metal though.

True, I think they are a popular group and I like a decent tune too, just something about them puts me off. I hate saying this if you like them, but I find them a bit bratty, I find quite a few US metal acts are like this and I'm sort of allergic to it! Also think they sound a bit 80's and I was never a fan of the hair metal stuff. I find Amorphis are good if I just want to listen to a good tune, try Sampo or Sky is Mine.

I do like some prog and symphonic metal, but most of it, not sure what you'd call it. A couple of my favourite albums from the 90's are WIldhoney by Tiamat and Mandylion by The Gathering. I suppose they have elements of stoner metal about them, they're sometimes called 'doom metal' which is a bit of a horrendous term imo! There are also weirder bands like Nightwish and Therion that are more symphonic metal, but I presume you've already heard of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    True, I think they are a popular group and I like a decent tune too, just something about them puts me off. I hate saying this if you like them, but I find them a bit bratty, I find quite a few US metal acts are like this and I'm sort of allergic to it! Also think they sound a bit 80's and I was never a fan of the hair metal stuff. I find Amorphis are good if I just want to listen to a good tune, try Sampo or Sky is Mine.

I do like some prog and symphonic metal, but most of it, not sure what you'd call it. A couple of my favourite albums from the 90's are WIldhoney by Tiamat and Mandylion by The Gathering. I suppose they have elements of stoner metal about them, they're sometimes called 'doom metal' which is a bit of a horrendous term imo! There are also weirder bands like Nightwish and Therion that are more symphonic metal, but I presume you've already heard of them.

Hey don't be worried about offending me :) I like all sorts of music from most genres and I'll bet a lot of it is not popular or cool/genuine or even very good.

I'll take a look at those suggestions later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey don't be worried about offending me :) I like all sorts of music from most genres and I'll bet a lot of it is not popular or cool/genuine or even very good.

I'll take a look at those suggestions later.

Ah ok, cool.

I'm similar, like quite a few genres, even like a bit of shoegaze, but it mostly boils down to metal :p
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was listening to the Kerrang! Rock Chart earlier and Andy Black was number one.

Can't believe how different his solo music is to Black Veil Brides!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hail To The King is very much the current, more radio-friendly, commercial sound of A7X, as their fans call them.

Whilst they have always had a commercial sound to many of their songs, albums like 2003s Waking the Fallen have a much harder edge to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Has Planet Rock moved ?

Planet Rock has moved to a new DAB multiplex called Sound Digital from March 1st. A move that hasn't exactly gone down well as the Sound Digital Mux isn't available in many parts of the country, much of the South West being a perfect example.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I brought an Avenged Sevenfold album a few years ago 'Nightmare' purely based on the fact Mike Portnoy was on drumming duty - it is probably the worst thing he's ever been apart of :)