Options

Big Ben Chimes - what alternative?

tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC News web site, amongst others has reported that "The Great Clock" and with it the chimes of "Big Ben" will from next yer be out-of-use for a three-year maintenance period.

I wonder how the World Service and Radio4 will cope?

Will there be a competition to find a suitable alternative; such as Great Tom (London or Oxford), St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Canterbury Cathedral or Manchester Town Hall? Perhaps multiple locations could be chosen, with a random selection as to which is best on the day?

Yes, they could just use a recording of Big Ben: but where's the fun in that?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36138203

Comments

• Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Cuckoo clock?
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit ancient now anyways.

Maybe everyones house starts flashing lightbulbs!? :D:D
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I understand that they will use St Paul's.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    Cuckoo clock?

That did make me chortle :D
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The world's most loved football chappy Claudio Ranieri is lined up with his dilly ding dilly ding bell to do the biz.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should sit Brian Blessed up there just shouting the time out every hour.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's simply being used for tradition so why not just play the recorded sound?
    I don't expect the MOTD theme to be played live by an orchestra every time that starts so why bother with a live bell chiming at all?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Radio 4 have used recordings in the past when Big Ben has been out of commission for what ever reason.

The big decision will be, how will we see in the New Year!!!! :o
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've used Great Tom at St Paul's in the past, so I'd expect them to use that again.
  • Options
    BillKayBillKay Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member

The chimes are only out of action for several months so I guess it won't affect New Year.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    They've used Great Tom at St Paul's in the past, so I'd expect them to use that again.

Or sometimes the pips.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite relevant to the original question, but there is quite a bit of info about the work on the clock and the tower here.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Radio 4 have used recordings in the past when Big Ben has been out of commission for what ever reason.

I think they used a record during WWII if there was an air raid in progress.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I think they should sit Brian Blessed up there just shouting the time out every hour.

.....LoL!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

Best idea yet - and you wouldn't need radio to broadcast it around the country - he's loud enough to do it unaided!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillKay wrote: »
    The chimes are only out of action for several months so I guess it won't affect New Year.

Yes,they were discussing it on PM and said this, also 11th November and other important occasions will not be affected.
    Mark. wrote: »

BBC Radio 4 also once used bird song instead which I'd forgotten about until they mentioned it .
  • Options
    JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC World Service no longer broadcast Big Ben but the chimes are broadcast before the 6 o'clock and 12 midnight news on Radio 4 each evening.

It's almost certain the BBC will replace Big Ben with the "pips" which are broadcast before all other R4 news bulletins.

The two main public occasions which feature Big Ben are Remembrance Sunday and New Year's Eve. Fortunately both events are in winter months which means repair work can take place during the better weather of the summer months

By far the most important occasion is Remembrance Sunday in which the chimes of Big Ben form a key part in marking the two minutes silence.

IMO, New Year's Eve could be replaced with a countdown projected on the London Eye and as long as the fireworks are good, the lack of Big Ben would have little impact.

I fear though that Jim White on Sky Sports News will have to find another way of marking the end of the transfer window!!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely all they need is a recording and a pretty loud PA system?
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Radio Caroline bell
    ding ding !!
    Regards
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the perfect opportunity to shake of the London-centric nature of the TOTH ident on The Home Service or whatever it's called these days, surely there's a clock tower in Salford they could use ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    surely all they need is a recording and a pretty loud PA system?

In a few years time it will be an Imam calling his people to prayer using a megawatt PA system.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Teletubbies - Eh Oh, Eh Oh, Eh Oh :D
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    The Teletubbies - Eh Oh, Eh Oh, Eh Oh :D

It was hard not to laugh but I could imagine it.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    JamSir wrote: »
    It's almost certain the BBC will replace Big Ben with the "pips" which are broadcast before all other R4 news bulletins.
    No, it's almost certain that they'll use a recording, which is what they've done every other time it's been out of action

Incidently, when it is live you can hear it on the radio before you hear it in real life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwUWtyRP4c
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's almost certain that they'll use a recording, which is what they've done every other time it's been out of action

Incidently, when it is live you can hear it on the radio before you hear it in real life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwUWtyRP4c

Much more fun to listen on Short Wave and hear the bongs by short path and long path, it can sound like an echo chamber.