Channel 5 HD going FTA on Freeview and Freesat

Comments

• onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    YouView wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous, since when did the female reality/lifestyle channels show a varied schedule of news, drama, soaps, documentaries, factual entertainment, comedy, movies, and children's programming.

Loch Lomond, New Lives in the Wild, The Great African Migration, Secrets of Great British Castles, Henry VIII and His Six Wives, Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy, CSI Cyber, NCIS, The X Files and many other quality shows will all benefit from from being in HD on Freeview and Freesat.

It can only be good news.

And Gotham.
    I agree that there are few nature and history docs as well the championship and goals rush which I would watch if they were in HD on Freesat/Freeview.
    I do wonder if C5 are missing out on viewers because they have come later to HD than the other main broadcasters.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Park wrote: »
    Will a Smart Tv get it then?
    If so how please?

I don't think so as the Freeview part would be just like a regular freeveiw or Freeview HD box with the 'smart' bit being the internet connected bit.
  • NS_117NS_117 Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It took a while but it'll be good to have it on Freeview, particularly since shows like Gotham and The X Files are in HD to begin with but end up being SD on Channel 5 at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I thought that the extra space that the much-talked about DSO2 would bring would be offset by the loss of some of the existing broadcast spectrum

Yes we loose spectrum but with all MUXS going DVB-T2 we actually get a net gain in channels even though we will loose COMS 7 & 8.
    At the moment there is 5 DVB-T MUXS, which carry about 60 24hour TV slots with various radio slots in their current configuration between them and 3 DVB-T2 MUXs which could carry either 21 HD channels or 100+ SD channels between them. (I know there is the local MUX and some extrasat other locations, they will also switch and be fitted in, but they are less frequent than COMs 7 & 8 I believe)

At DSO 2 we loose two of the DVB-T2 MUXs, but the 5 DVB-T MUXs will switch to DVB-T2, giving us a sudden increase in channel slots, which will first take the COM 7 & 8 lot, then have space left over.
    OFCOM have done their calculations and believe that there wouldn't be more than 20 HD channels on Freeview so there would be room for 100+ SD channel slots all 24 h ones aka a big net gain.
    Remember that SD will move to MPEG4 like HD currently is.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    So no consideration given to keeping one legacy DVB-T MUX for those with "non-HD" TV sets only relatively recently replaced for DSO?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    So no consideration given to keeping one legacy DVB-T MUX for those with "non-HD" TV sets only relatively recently replaced for DSO?

I dont think so I think it will be a wholesale change to DVB-T2, squeezing the MUXs up below 700MHz will require some areas to act as Single Frequency Networks which DVB-T2 can cope with a lot better than DVB-T can. So ditching the legacy DVB-T is a good idea.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member

It wont be before 2020 and anyone who cant receive them will need to get an HD box to feed their existing TV.

We need to keep moving forward in a sensible timeline
  • WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the last places to go through DSO did so in 2012, so 2020 will have been 8 years. Hardly an unreasonably short time.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    It wont be before 2020 and anyone who cant receive them will need to get an HD box to feed their existing TV.

We need to keep moving forward in a sensible timeline

You need to let people know before switch off via the channels.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No consideration what-so-ever. What's really fuelling the change is not a progressive move to push everyone onto HD, that's just a white elephant. No, it’s just so the bandwidth the old Freeview boxes used can then be flogged off to the mobile phone companies (to use as 4G, 5G or whatever is the standard by them) for as much money as possible. That's the real motivation for the Tory government to do it. Funny how they are not promoting this incoming change to the public yet isn't it? Do you think they are afraid of the pensioner backlash when they find out about Digital Switch Over part 2?

Anyway speaking as someone who does have HD gear its good to see after losing BBC3 we will be getting C5HD. About bloody time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the last places to go through DSO did so in 2012, so 2020 will have been 8 years. Hardly an unreasonably short time.

My bet is on it starting in 2018 and ending in 2020, as that is when the COM 7& 8 MUXS are due to end, plus I can't see the government waiting too long for money from the bidding on the 700MHz band for mobile networks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to let people know before switch off via the channels.

That will still happen it's going to have a lot of planning you can bet on that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No consideration what-so-ever. What's really fuelling the change is not a progressive move to push everyone onto HD, that's just a white elephant. No, it’s just so the bandwidth the old Freeview boxes used can then be flogged off to the mobile phone companies (to use as 4G, 5G or whatever is the standard by them) for as much money as possible. That's the real motivation for the Tory government to do it. Funny how they are not promoting this incoming change to the public yet isn't it? Do you think they are afraid of the pensioner backlash when they find out about Digital Switch Over part 2?

Anyway speaking as someone who does have HD gear its good to see after losing BBC3 we will be getting C5HD. About bloody time!

Exactly the government will make their money and this time there will be many that will have to change aerialsas well as get a new box! At least there is a net gain on channels in the process! I'm personally sticking with Sky and only using freeveiw as a backup but Freesat is a good alternative to sky if you want free access to satellite channels without involvement with Roupet Merdoc.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The clearance of the 700 MHz band is an EC directive for all member states to implement by 2020:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-207_en.htm
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason to get out of the EU then...to be fair I think we are getting this as standard across Europe because all Governments can all see the advantage of loads of mobile phone £$£$£$£$$ money. It shows yet again how big business controls the world.

I suspect eventually they will sell off all the existing TV frequency and force people to use the internet as the only way to consume TV.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason to get out of the EU then...to be fair I think we are getting this as standard across Europe because all Governments can all see the advantage of loads of mobile phone £$£$£$£$$ money. It shows yet again how big business controls the world..
    I might be wrong, but isn't 700 MHz being cleared for mobile use around the world?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another reason to get out of the EU then...to be fair I think we are getting this as standard across Europe because all Governments can all see the advantage of loads of mobile phone £$£$£$£$$ money. It shows yet again how big business controls the world.

I suspect eventually they will sell off all the existing TV frequency and force people to use the internet as the only way to consume TV.

Its not actually an EU thing as much as Europe as a whole has to co-ordinate radio frequencies well enough so every country gets enough frequencies for what it needs without interference to another.

We have no choice but to co-ordinate with Europe on this as signals at Dover effect France along with other areas of our South coast. The Channel Islands which are part of the UK for tv purposes can only have freeveiw lite on the islands as they are even closer to France.

This problem won't go away by leaving the EU and international co-ordination of frequencies is actually decided on a worldwide level, at the World Radio Council that meets every so many years.
    Europe didn't actually want a 700MHz clearance it has been thrust upon us by the Americas I believe who also wanted more at the last World Radio Council but Asia and Africa stuck with Europe on this and decided to keep up to 700MHz for tv.

So don't blame the EU for this one its not their fault this time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be wrong, but isn't 700 MHz being cleared for mobile use around the world?

Yes it is so the op's dig at the EU is most certainly wrong on this occasion.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Certainly in ITU Region 1 (Europe, Africa, Middle East, and Central Asia)

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=491955

Nothing to do with the EU
  • pad-epad-e Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pad-e wrote: »

Do we think it will join freeview tomorrow
  • Brian The DogBrian The Dog Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Do we think it will join freeview tomorrow

I can't see why not as it's already sitting there broadcasting in the clear, just not software hooked up to a channel number and with flags set to hidden. So it's just one click of a mouse somewhere.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Tuesday is traditionally the day when Freeview changes occur (mid-morning onwards)
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone over on the BT Community Forums says Cannel 5 HD will launch on Freeview tomorrow as they seen it on Twitter.
    I don't use Twitter myself so have not seen the Twitter post.

Darren
  • innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Why all the excitement? Channel 5 has almost nothing worth watching. Trash TV in HD doesn't appeal.