Options

Boyzone - What's the point of their comeback?

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
Whilst I do respect that some people like Boyzone, what is the point of them coming back?

The best singer in the group Stephen has long passed away, it's 99% of the time Ronan and his three backing singers as the other three have no lead or solo parts at all.

Adding to that, they tried to be hip and happening by re-inventing themselves with new material with their come back single being an almost note for note copy of "Some Nights" by Fun. Now, it's back to their usual karaoke style by doing an album of Motown covers.

They were never good in the first place, and were just a bunch of karaoke singers. Hope this album flops.

Comments

• Options
    grantholmesgrantholmes Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    new songs for the fans
  • Options
    grantholmesgrantholmes Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    or they need money
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make money.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Surely whatever money they have made from touring, would be enough to call it a day?

I just can't stand them. None of the four surviving members come across as likeable at all.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Surely whatever money they have made from touring, would be enough to call it a day?

I just can't stand them. None of the four surviving members come across as likeable at all.

''I Just Can't Stand them'', So for that reason you see fit that they should call it a day. I'm aware that's not what your implying but it is how it reads. You may not like them, but others do, new material for the fans and some money all to be said. Switch off ignore them get on with your life.
  • Options
    musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their last album went gold in the UK so they still have fans in the UK willing to buy their studio albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering they will be in the highest tax bracket year after year, they need to make more money than they pay out and after a few years they will need to make more rather than end up diminishing their savings. Ronan's solo career has faltered but they still appeal to the audience that have grown up with them. Also touring costs money, renting venues and organising stage shows is not going to be cheap for them so whatever they put into it in terms of investment will take weeks to break even on before they see actual profit. A lot of the band lost lots of money when Ireland's economy collapsed.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best singer in the group Stephen

Errrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Maybe just because they still enjoy making music. Just because they're not popular any more doesn't mean they have to stop what they enjoy.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same reason as anyone else trying to make comeback like Steps or S Club 7.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were absolutely execrable in the first place. Nothing but a rip off, covers band. Awful, just awful.
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timdean92 wrote: »
    Maybe just because they still enjoy making music. Just because they're not popular any more doesn't mean they have to stop what they enjoy.

Then why stop the first time round?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've reformed for exactly the same reason as every other bands that has refoemed... "Because the fans demanded it" ;-)

At least when the Sex Pistols reformed John Lydon openly admitted they only did so for the money.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair point
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Why not?

The Rolling Stones are still touring regularly. Obviously you can't begin to compare the two, but if Boyzone still have a loyal following who are happy to pay good money to watch them sing "karaoke songs" then that's their choice.

Declan_Khan's post pretty much sums it all up.
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for their brother stephen.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True, but why the need to inflict it on eveyone else? ;-)

It's obviously just for the money though, no reason at all other than that.
  • Options
    ThrillKisserThrillKisser Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    They probably need the money.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of them, but why shouldn't they keep doing their job for the money? I've always found it odd that in the music business it's considered a bad thing to work for the money and a criticism that is always launched against these people. But don't us everyday people go to our jobs because we need money to live? I don't see why it's a bad thing to make money or should be something anyone should be criticized for. We should encourage people to work, not sit around and do nothing all day.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Not a fan of them, but why shouldn't they keep doing their job for the money? I've always found it odd that in the music business it's considered a bad thing to work for the money and a criticism that is always launched against these people. But don't us everyday people go to our jobs because we need money to live? I don't see why it's a bad thing to make money or should be something anyone should be criticized for. We should encourage people to work, not sit around and do nothing all day.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with doing a job for money, be that in the entertainment industry or elsewhere. A little honesty when doing so wouldn't go amiss though, rather than pretending it's "for the fans", or other such nonsense.
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this today:

http://www.goss.ie/2014/12/enough-is-enough-louis-walsh-tells-boyzone-its-time-to-quit-the-music-industry-for-good/

I kind of doubt Walsh would say it so harsh, BUT even if half was true - he is right... I mean, come on, if you are doing it for the money, you should make an effort, why do a lame themed album? Themed albums can work to an extent only if you are great vocalists (say, Michael Buble) or if you are doing a creative spin on the songs (Pentatonix). Boyzone didn't do any of that, plus they are not great singers, they are average at best.

And you know, I get many will say Walsh is horrible for saying this, but it is good to be brutally honest in the music business because that is very rare to see. He is right that it was a horrible idea.
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Money makes the world go round.

Saw Boyzone perform on X Factor Australia and they were okay but it was mainly Ronan singing with the others being backing singers and it sounds like Ronan is going to leave X Factor Aus for Boyzone.

Tbh I think a World tour would be good for nostalgia but I think they have well and truly had their day when it comes to releasing a new album as it can't compete with todays music scene.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    actually mikey is a good folk style singer and shane can sing too but the record company are afraid of anyone doing lead except ronan yes he can sing.
    But his voice doesn't really suit this new motown album although some of the songs are good such as wherever I lay my hat & reach out i'll be there.
    Why shouldn't boyzone tour if there is a demand ronan's solo career isn't going very well anymore keith is an actor anyway and has admitted he's not the best singer.
    a lot of the criticism of them seems to come from men on here jealous of their success I think they are well aware of their place in the market if you read interviews with them they are not trying to capture the same market as one direction just pleasing their fans.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    "What's the point" - is a ridiculous question. If people are willing to listen to and buy their music and go to their concerts then they clearly have a "point". Of all of the acts out there, Boyzone are one of the easier to avoid, if you don't like them.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at this new CD of theirs in Morrisons earlier today. What a shower of gormless looking tools they look on its cover.