Options

SCART Spliters/Switches

Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm a bit confussed with the different type of Scart Spliters.

Problem: I have a DVD player, STB and a VCR but only two Scarts on my TV.

I know there are 3 types of Scart splitter:

Unswitched
Manually Switched (bothersome)
Auto Switched (expensive)

I have the STB connected to TV AV1 Scart (RGB).

Is there any reason why I can't use an unswitched 2 way Scart box to connect the DVD Player and VCR to TV AV2 Scart if I only have one on at any one time. Will it do damage if you inadvertantly switch them both on together?

Advice please.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you switch them on together then your get a messy picture. do you not have 2 scart sockets on your vcr or freeview box?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are 2 scarts on both the VCR and freeview box but I need these to connect them together so that I can record from the freeview box - as per the freeview box diagram ??

I can live with the messy picture as I don't intend to have both on together. As long it won't do damage if someone switches both on together - like the wife!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Phil S! :)

You could use a manually switched one and a very long stick.

Sorry. Feeling a bit cheeky today!

Cheers, Slipstreem. :cool:
  • Options
    noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil S wrote:
    I'm a bit confussed with the different type of Scart Spliters.

Problem: I have a DVD player, STB and a VCR but only two Scarts on my TV.

I know there are 3 types of Scart splitter:

Unswitched
    Manually Switched (bothersome)
    Auto Switched (expensive)

I have the STB connected to TV AV1 Scart (RGB).

Is there any reason why I can't use an unswitched 2 way Scart box to connect the DVD Player and VCR to TV AV2 Scart if I only have one on at any one time. Will it do damage if you inadvertantly switch them both on together?

Advice please.

I got a great one from Maplin. It was only £39 and does all i want! Auto switching and 6 output RGB scarts and 2 jack ones. I would recommend it.

Link: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47412&doy=21m10
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    As yoi have to get up to walk to the VCR to swap tapes, then putting a manual switch-box near-by isn't going to be too much extra hassle is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should have your vcr's AV1 scart into the freeview box's vcr scart and the second scart on the vcr doesnt need to be connected

this then leaves the second scart on the tv for the dvd player.

when you use the vcr it will automatically loop through the freeview box, you dont need to buy a switch box :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what type on set top box you have, if you only have dvd vcr and set top you can get by without a switch, you can use your aux on set top box

you can plug one item into the set top box, when that item is switched on it wil cancel out the set top box/dvd which ever is plugged in, e mail me if you need help
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been thinking plug vcr into tv, plug set top box into vcr via scart, plug the dvd into set top box, when you want to watch a dvd, that will cancel out your set top box and allow you subject to copyright to record either the set top box or dvd onto vcr.

Sorry forgot to say , plug stb into vcr to.

so your 2 scarts on tv, one wil be video , one will be stb.

When the video is switched into standby, you should stil be able to use the dvd player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. From your info I can now see how to do it without a splitter box.

Cheers
  • Options
    noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil S wrote:
    Thank you all. From your info I can now see how to do it without a splitter box.

Cheers

But if you only have one RGB scart on TV you will lose out on picture quality? That is why the scart splitter is best unless it is not a problem.