DVD recorder, virgin, 5:1 surround sound, TV - set up help please!

Hi
I'm attempting to set up a Philips DVDR70 (dvd recorder) to a Virgin+ box, and a Panasonic Viera TV, also with an LG surround sound system.

I need to be able to use the DVD recorder to record programmes saved on the V+ box.

I really don't know where to start... any advice greatly appreciated :confused:

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your DVDR70 is still working as in "capable of recording" that quite a find !

The only thing that it can do is record via a scart lead -- so connect one between the 2 products -- select ext 2 on the philips and press record on the Philips .

If you need to monitor what's going on at the same time use a 2nd scart lead connected to EXT 1 to your TV .

Very simple - no hi tech involved , the only "got you is that you can only use DVD+RW & DVD+R discs .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I only wanted it to stick some unwatched programmes from the V+ box onto disc as we're getting a TiVo box on Wednesday so not too worried about the discs etc as long as it works!

Will have another go and see if I can get it sorted, many thanks for the advice.

Surround sound is complicating things i think.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Surround sound complicating things in what way?

So many models out there if you could post the model number and what issues you are having I'm sure you'll get some help/advice.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I only wanted it to stick some unwatched programmes from the V+ box onto disc as we're getting a TiVo box on Wednesday so not too worried about the discs etc as long as it works!

Will have another go and see if I can get it sorted, many thanks for the advice.

Surround sound is complicating things i think.
    What has the surround system got to do with anything?

The only requirement to copy from the V box to DVD is a SCART lead from the V box to the DVD recorder. Nothing else is required. You don't actually need the TV much less the surround system. Though a link from DVD recorder to TV might make it a bit easier to check the recorder is working :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've disconnected the surround sound completely as it just seemed to have been complicating things.

Now though, I can view virgin channels through the DVD recorder, but there is no sound.

When I do try to record, it stops after several seconds and I get a 'disc error' message.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This goes back to the "still working" coment I made , looks like your DVDR70 has succomed to one of the many problems that effectively wrote off all of them many years ago .

Just before you consign yours to landfill -- you are using DVD+rw discs ??