Options

What do you like about Corrie at the moment?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Alison King and Chris Gasgoyne's acting has been top notch lately and Peter is really believable as the hapless weak alcholic. I loved Phelan and hope this is not the last we see of him, in fact I wish he could become a permanent character and get rid of Owen and his creepy clan who have had their day. Like Sally and Tim and even Kevin has fitted back quite well.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the one area where Corrie excels is in the comedy stakes. My favourite characters in that respect are Julie & Mary first and foremost. Things like Julie telling Marcus he should move in as she'd just bought the Glee box set I find hilarious, and pretty much every scene Mary is in too. I wish they'd use her more. And to a lesser extent Norris, Deirdre & Tracey (love their scenes together), Sally (most recently when she agreed with Maddie that she was middle class :D), Steve, and the factory lot when they're together have great chemistry too, particularly Sean & Beth. I agree that Sally & Tim are great together also. Still miss my all time favourite character though; Blanche :cry:

Todd has injected a fair bit of spice but I don't remember the actor that plays him being as mediocre as he is now. Perhaps he's just not as good at playing the bad guy but I do find him very wooden at times. I have loved his scenes with Maria lately though. I don't condone violence but Maria clobbering him with her mobile was classic :D.

I enjoy Anna's scenes with Roy too, although that seems to have taken a back seat since Hayley's departure. In fact we seem to be seeing a lot less of Roy these days. (or I've just stopped noticing him).

There is a bit of deadwood (Kal, Nick, Emily, Dev, Jason, Jenna & the girl Lloyd's dating who has the hots for Steve, although I guess that could hot up) but no one I find unbearable apart from Tina. Used to like her character but since she went a bit bunny boilerish over Peter I will be glad to see the back of her.

Oh, and can't wait for Kirsty to come back; sorry Tyrone!
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying the Phelan story, and most of the actors in it are superb; I can feel Anna's anguis, and Owen's bewilderment at her behaviour. Phelan is a scary villain. Katie is superfluous to the plot, her acting is completely wooden, as is the lump of a girl who sits on the sofa, pouting and licking her lips; those two would not be missed.
    Peter is very convincing as an alcoholic, but Carla getting Tina, his lover, to come and baby-sit him was a bit silly.
    I like all the veteran actors, but I was screaming at the screen at Rita last evening 'Don't fall for Dennis' sob story again !!!!!'.
    Steve is hilarious, and it is water off a ducks back when Michelle and Liz disrespect him.
    If the show's makers would get rid of the repulsive Sophie and Maddie, Coronation Street would go to the top of my list as favourite soap.

Good post, agree with all that. Can only add that Corrie should include more comedy, which is what it has always done best, and that means more Mary, Norris and Deirdre, (preferably drunk Deirdre - she's brilliant). Would also like more girls' nights out featuring Deirdre, Gail, Sally and even Eileen. :)

PS FIZ MUST DIE!!!!!!>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    None of it, its utter dross and has been since SB took over!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of it, its utter dross and has been since SB took over!!!

And yet even a cursory glance at the ratings on any given day...............oh never mind, what's the point? :D:p
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It picked up a bit last night, with three references to previous storylines, Tyrone and Maria, Joe's addiction and the last one escapes me at the moment, but I did mention how much better that was than , just ignoring any history
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have switched off.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's loads to love at the moment. Highlights for me are:

Peter and Tina. They have such chemistry and I love the slow build up to their affair and that it hasn't been rushed for an exit storyline or something silly like that. I really feel for Tina as she is being treated so badly - a character that is massively under-used. They should give her more screen time.

Steve and Michelle - the way she berates him is slapstick comedy gold. Who wouldn't want a girlfriend like that?

Todd vs Maria - thank God Sean is getting involved now. I love how neither Sean nor Todd play to outdated stereotypes of gay men.

Sophie and Maddie - how brave of them to tackle homelessness like this. Poor Sophie is such a sweet girl and respectful daughter. I hate how Sally doesn't support her. They are my favourite soap couple ever.

Mary - what's not to love about a middle aged woman with clear mental health issues? Oh yes, comedy gold.

Oh yes, the show's on a high alright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's loads to love at the moment. Highlights for me are:

Peter and Tina. They have such chemistry and I love the slow build up to their affair and that it hasn't been rushed for an exit storyline or something silly like that. I really feel for Tina as she is being treated so badly - a character that is massively under-used. They should give her more screen time.

Steve and Michelle - the way she berates him is slapstick comedy gold. Who wouldn't want a girlfriend like that?

Todd vs Maria - thank God Sean is getting involved now. I love how neither Sean nor Todd play to outdated stereotypes of gay men.

Sophie and Maddie - how brave of them to tackle homelessness like this. Poor Sophie is such a sweet girl and respectful daughter. I hate how Sally doesn't support her. They are my favourite soap couple ever.

Mary - what's not to love about a middle aged woman with clear mental health issues? Oh yes, comedy gold.

Oh yes, the show's on a high alright.

I'm probably wrong (again), but I sense a teensy bit of sarcasm here. >:(>:(:p
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The community atmosphere

The Phelan storyline (Don't know if it's done or not, but very much enjoyed it.)

Build up to Tina's death.

Kevin's return.

Sally and Tim.

Mad Maria.

Paula Lane.

Steve's scenes with Peter. @Brilliant and hilarious.

Just a few examples there, there is more that I like about it currently.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I think its taking its audience for granted and will pay a cost possibly longterm.

I do hope ITV will act quicker than the BBC did with EastEnders.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/connor-mcintyre-pat-phelan-psycho-3434040

Edit: I misread the article, he isn't up against anyone, tht was just at the awards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SMIDSYmk2 wrote: »
    For the record Phelan will be around for a bit longer.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/connor-mcintyre-pat-phelan-psycho-3434040

He means at the Soap Awards (Best Villain). Looks like he's gone for the foreseeable now.
    Connor’s role on the Street is now at an end but Phelan is still lurking around.

He will continue to torture Anna from abroad by sending letters and postcards.

So will he be back?

Connor said: “The guys upstairs will *decide whether or not there is more to play out.

Really sad he's going - he was a legend. :(
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    He means at the Soap Awards (Best Villain). Looks like he's gone for the foreseeable now.

Really sad he's going - he was a legend. :(

Oops, I must've misread it, my mistake
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have enjoyed last weeks episodes, they have been worth watching :D

I love Bitchy Todd's & Unhinged Maria's Catfights in the Street, including Maria throwing something at Todd's eye, I cheered at the screen when that happened! Deirdre's one liners are brilliant, she seems to be turning into her late mother! My favourite Couples are Rob & Tracy & Sally & Tim. The latter of which I didn't like at first but have warmed to them. They are great with each other. Hope Kevin dosen't ruin it.

I also hope Ty & Maria get together, Maria's better than Fiz IMO.

Steve McDonald, comedy king! His facial expressions make me laugh so much! Especially when miss foldy-arms Michelle & Liz don't believe him.

I think it has been mentioned somewhere before, but it's nice to have a soap where not a lot is going on (unlike what's going down in EE atm) There's nothing going on, just character run in's & crossed words. No sensationalism or anything like that, but then again only so much can happen to one street :D

I will be tuning in to see Tina die (finally).
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phelan destroying the lives of the awful family. I hope he succeeds and gets away with it.

I like Kal, and I'm all for Kal/Leanne relationship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Steve. Mainly Steve. And Lloyd. Thank goodness Eileen is back in the cab office - Stuart Blackburn got that one right.

Mary, Gail, Tim, Sally, Liz, Kylie and David are very good, and always cheer up a scene.

Surprisingly, I think Rob is really coming into his own now. He works much better as Carla's supporter than as her sulky little brother, and I think the actor's really settled in now and should be given more to do. Carla and Peter are great too.

As good as it's been to see EE reinvented, it still doesn't have that pool of great characters to call on; that's why there have been so many returns. Plus I always watch EE with a slightly wary eye, wondering how long it will be til the Carters are broken up, til someone else leaves. I don't like a lot of the Corrie storylines at the moment, and suspect that the Maddie/Sophie thing will be a big damp squib once Kev vanishes again, but it always provides interesting character scenes. The 'best ever' Corrie scene, after all, was totally inconsequential to any plot - it was just someone's step-gran turning up at his AA meeting. And it was brilliant.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maria is a bit troubled isn't she?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    The end credits tbh then a know it's finished