The Day After Tomorrow (4 out of 5 stars in Radio Times review, wtf?!?!?)

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    And one thing that really annoyed me (which annoys me about most American disaster movies) is that It's so America centric (I can hear your "well Duh's from here :D ). There was no real emphasis on what happened to the rest of the northern hemisphere (I vaguely remember something about the UK but I've only watched it once so I don't remember any details).

The bits with Ian Holm in the weather lab were set in Scotland i think, although Roland Emmerich seems to think that Scotland looks like The Shire from Lord of the Rings if this film is anything to go by (for some reason he used CGI hills when showing the exterior of the lab, which looked really odd).

There was one bit in the film where it said that Europe had been hit harder than the US, yet we didn't see any of it!

I watched the film again the other day, and i still don't mind it really. It's okay if you want spectacle (although the SFX haven't aged well), but the script is laughable, try counting how many times Dennis Quaid says "do you understand me?!?!";)
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I weirdly enjoyed this film. It's nothing groundbreaking or spectacular, but it's thought provoking and definitely watchable.
    Maybe I was just distracted by how good Jake Gyllenhaal looks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an OK film; wouldn't say it's a 4/5 job though. 3/5 would be the perfect fit: worth watching, entertaining, but it won't blow you away with anything except its absurd logic. You might get a few laughs out of it, too. As another poster pointed out, one of my favourite South Park episodes wouldn't exist without it ;)
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The Day After Tomorrow is a fantastic film, it deserved 5 out of 5 stars,, one of me and my girlfriend gails all time favourite films, well acted, it also has an important message
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike most films, my average or mean rating across IMDB is probably only 4.5 or 5/10 respectively but I think I put The Day After Tomorrow at 6s, so would be 3 stars.

I like disaster films generally, whilst there's nearly always a suspension of disbelief they remain more realistic for me to relate to than any fantasy, comic book or superhero film.

Admittedly though, the Dennis Quaid trek was pathetic and made parts of the film a bit of a nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incidentally, there's an old film I've been on the lookout for some time, called The Day After.

The Day After Tomorrow has made it near impossible to search for anywhere!
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, there's an old film I've been on the lookout for some time, called The Day After.

The Day After Tomorrow has made it near impossible to search for anywhere!

is this the film you are looking for?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/combined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-After-DVD-Jason-Robards/dp/B0010KG2NS/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1357465069&sr=1-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is the film. Sorry, when I said search for, I meant to buy online. Unless you have time.to.waste sifting through 100s you have to rely on the seller having put Robards or Guttenberg in the title too.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a (cough) older person - the weather in Britain has become more and more weird within the last few years.
    I saw TDAT when it first came out and thought it was far - fetched. Last time I watched it it scared me and reminded me re global warming, tsunamis, all the rain we've had and wind - I remember a few years ago being unable to get from my front door to my car because the wind was threatening to lift me off my feet. Also in 2010 all the trees near where I live looked liken a petrified forest covered in frost and, just to go to the local shops, I had to wear all my walking gear and take my walking pole - a bit like Oates from Scott of the Antarctic -but I came back after tramping through the snow drifts.
    So I think TDAT is ok.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As disaster films go, I don't think it's too bad. The CGI sequences are still impressive, even though it does have a lame script and the performances are fairly wooden..don't all disaster movies ?
    I would give it a 6/10.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    It's a good movie for a dumb disaster film. Take it for what it is.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think it's ageing quite well, and I definitely prefer watching it now that the hype surrounding it has ebbed away. It's better as a 'popcorn flick' than a disaster film I can take too seriously.

My biggest problem with it was the aformentioned hype. There were posters and billboards depicting a disaster movie that spanned the whole world... we saw the Sydney Opera House being engulfed by an impressive tsunami, Big Ben Clock Tower glistening from within 50m of snow, the Brandeburg Gate locked in ice. It was such a massive concept and ultimately one that the film couldn't live up to. In fact, it burns out about half way through its 2-hour duration when the most impressive scenes have all passed. The film worked to begin with by throwing disaster after disaster at you, but when this stopped (and the budget was capped) they had to turn to a human story which hadn't been very well set up and so I didn't care. The film would have done better if it had stuck to throwing CGI at the screen, at least in terms of consistency. Instead, the first half disappointed anyone looking for a film with substance and the second half disappointed anyone wanting any decent action...and nobody walks away complimenting half a movie.

The tornado scene was most impressive, the movie as a whole was a spectacle and a half, but it felt like they changed its purpose half way through and it just all fell apart from there.
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Well I reckon a it of everything ...

I love Lord of the Rings,
    Die Hards,
    The Hangover,
    Hot Fuzz,
    Prince of Persia,
    Sucker Punch,
    Inception,
    most superhero movies ... Batman Begins been the no 1 ...

You must be easily entertained!

As for The Day After Tomorrow I quite like it and fire it up every now and again on Blu as one of my guilty pleasures, sure its far fetched but why worry.
  • Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    That is the film. Sorry, when I said search for, I meant to buy online. Unless you have time.to.waste sifting through 100s you have to rely on the seller having put Robards or Guttenberg in the title too.

Threads is better and more realistic, everyone in The Day After still has Hollywood perfect hairdo's (for the most part) right up until the end :p

Both were genuinely scary in the height of the Cold War though.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike most films, my average or mean rating across IMDB is probably only 4.5 or 5/10 respectively but I think I put The Day After Tomorrow at 6s, so would be 3 stars.

I like disaster films generally, whilst there's nearly always a suspension of disbelief they remain more realistic for me to relate to than any fantasy, comic book or superhero film.

Admittedly though, the Dennis Quaid trek was pathetic and made parts of the film a bit of a nonsense.

Kind of with you on this one, I don't think it's a bad film on the whole (I'd say 6/10), but the fathers trek to save his son achieved bugger all apart from getting his best mate killed because they would have searched for survivors regardless.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    what i never understood is when the big freeze happens, it chases Jake as he's running on his heels constantly, surely everything would freeze at the same time!!!

same thing in 2012, everytime time they escape in a plane or car, the world crumbles 2 millimetres behind the rear bumper.

emmerich takes his audience for ****ing idiots.

:D I know
    2012 was quite bad in ways that actually made it funny, it was really a pretty stupid movie :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you're talking about ebay, you can put a tick in 'include description' and put Robards or Guttenberg with The Day After in a search box. Otherwise put the film's release year next to the title, e.g. 'The Day After 1983'. Or even 'The Day After TV'
  • BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    It's not a bad film at all compared to some, sure it's got a few problems within it's story arc but it's very rewatchable which is just as well the amount of times it's repeated.The thing with this type of propaganda is that it is often used as reinforcement for the AGW argument.The last time I saw TDAT on TV it was shown immediately after a programme about er... global warming for instance;)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally find Radio Times ratings are pretty much what I would give but I am open mouthed at this. This film has to be one of the shi*test films I have ever seen.

That’s where you’re going wrong - RT ratings are almost as much a joke as the old Leslie Halliwell ones were. He pretty much hated anything made from the 70s onwards and RT seemingly randomly pluck a number out of the air between one and five so both are equally worthless.

However this is a rare occasion where they got it right. TDAT is Emmerich’s best film and one of the best disaster movies. Endlessly rewatchable (as is 2012 for it’s lunatic excess in every department).