Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Ryan Mclaughlin is off on loan to Barnsley who are propping up the Championship -- its for a month and 6 games. Good luck to him!

I've always like McLaughlin when I've seen him, he's really not that far off usurping Flanagan as the back-up fullback. He'll certainly be busy if he gets game time at Barnsley and it should be a great learning experience for him.
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    And just to add another rumour to the many doing the rounds: we are maybe interested in another central defender?
    The Indepentent

Premier League rivals Arsenal and Liverpool are set to go head-to-head over a deal for Anderlecht's defender Cheikhou Kouyate after the player's agent revealed talks are progressing well.

The Daily Star report that both sides have scouted the 24-year-old for the last two months and plan to make a bid for Kouyate this month...
    With Liverpool's attentions being elsewhere for the time being, Wenger is the favourite to finalise a deal.

I see this one as very unlikely myself.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I've always like McLaughlin when I've seen him, he's really not that far off usurping Flanagan as the back-up fullback. He'll certainly be busy if he gets game time at Barnsley and it should be a great learning experience for him.

Flanagan has gone full circle for me. Broke onto the scene under Kenny and performed very well on debut v Arsenal, looked potentially good. Went off the boil after the Blackburn cup game with his dodgy back pass that saw Doni sent off and then went into the wilderness, but this season he has taken his chance at LB and was very good to be fair, even chipping in with a goal (nearly 2)so my hopes for him have returned.

Shame Agger will prob be missing v Stoke, 2 clean sheets since his return to the team but a calf strain can be nasty. At least we still have cover in that area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    And just to add another rumour to the many doing the rounds: we are maybe interested in another central defender?
    The Indepentent

I see this one as very unlikely myself.

Doesn't appear to be the position in most need of attention at the minute for sure.
    Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Toure, Kelly, Ilori .....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who should be Liverpool's top January transfer target?

Salah 53%
    Bertrand 5%
    Tello 19%
    Alli 1%
    Rakitic 14%
    Hughes 5%
    Other 4%

According to Sky.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the "Who gives a Fk" group over Man Utd's season.
    I mean why on earth would I or any other liverpool fan for that matter "feel for them or their supporters"?? Anyone really think they as a club or their supporters have felt for Liverpool? More like took the P out of the club, lots of examples of that.

It's not about being bitter, but really I do question any fan who actually wishes their arch rivals well or that they win games.It's not just about Man Utd, it applies to all what we would consider our rivals. I want Chelsea to lose, Man Utd to lose, Arsenal, Spurs (apart from when they play the other mentioned teams).

Do we want to go back to winning things or not? Those wishing Man Utd well or wanting our rivals to be competitive - how does that feel when we finish 2nd to them? I want their struggles on the field to go on as long as possible, makes our chances of progress better.

I don't think you are in the 'who gives a FK' group, more in the 'I hope they get FKed' group.

I'm not sure any Liverpool fan would actively be wishing Utd success, game-by-game (that would surely make them Utd fans as well), but there's a difference between being indifferent to Utd's predicament now and actively wishing ill fortune on a rival club. Hating Utd seems to be a pre-requisite of being a 'true' Liverpool supporter and that I 100% disagree with. It's something I've debated with Alancracker in the past. I want Liverpool to do well, win games and silverware. I don't reciprocally want Utd to disappear down a plughole into football oblivion.

If we're good enough, we'll achieve our objectives, irrespective of how other teams do. I celebrate any silverware we win but the victory is not sweetened by Utd falling at the first hurdle in a cup or finishing outside the top 4 in the league. If anything the perfect scenario would be for Utd to come 2nd or be the beaten finalist (which perhaps undermines my argument somewhat).

I guess this perhaps boils down to geography. As someone who doesn't come from the North West I do not feel the local rivalry. From a footballing perspective in the time I've been a football supporter Liverpool and Utd have never really been that closely matched. With the exception of a couple of seasons over a 40 year period one or other of the clubs as been relatively off the pace which is why I've always seen clubs like Everton and Arsenal as keener rivals as they've been the clubs we've tussled with in the league, either for the title or more lately for top 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £8,000 fine for Rodgers.

And Moyes gets nominated for manager of the month................................ go figure!
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    £8k? Could have been much worse! There really isn't any consistency in FA fines so it's an adventure anytime the charge you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool target Yann M'Vila is close to signing for Napoli reports Gianluca Di Marzio ‏'@dimarzio'
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez scoops the Player of the Month award.

Obviously. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I don't think you are in the 'who gives a FK' group, more in the 'I hope they get FKed' group.

I'm not sure any Liverpool fan would actively be wishing Utd success, game-by-game (that would surely make them Utd fans as well), but there's a difference between being indifferent to Utd's predicament now and actively wishing ill fortune on a rival club. Hating Utd seems to be a pre-requisite of being a 'true' Liverpool supporter and that I 100% disagree with. It's something I've debated with Alancracker in the past. I want Liverpool to do well, win games and silverware. I don't reciprocally want Utd to disappear down a plughole into football oblivion.

Fair do's :D

With regards there being a difference between being indifferent to Utd's predicament & wishing ill fortune on them equally there is also a difference between being indifferent to them and wishing them good luck and wanting them to win.

That was the point I was referencing really. Seeing good wishes and hopes for Man Utd to win etc, their current predicament being sad etc.

I dont hate them but I could never bring myself to want them to win games to get them back up there either. Lets be honest 1 good transfer window from them and they'll be back up there or 1 decent manager :p:D
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member

If we're good enough, we'll achieve our objectives, irrespective of how other teams do. I celebrate any silverware we win but the victory is not sweetened by Utd falling at the first hurdle in a cup or finishing outside the top 4 in the league. If anything the perfect scenario would be for Utd to come 2nd or be the beaten finalist (which perhaps undermines my argument somewhat).

I guess this perhaps boils down to geography. As someone who doesn't come from the North West I do not feel the local rivalry. From a footballing perspective in the time I've been a football supporter Liverpool and Utd have never really been that closely matched. With the exception of a couple of seasons over a 40 year period one or other of the clubs as been relatively off the pace which is why I've always seen clubs like Everton and Arsenal as keener rivals as they've been the clubs we've tussled with in the league, either for the title or more lately for top 4.

Well said Assa :)

I am interested in seeing us play well.....and yes, winning trophies. When Man U are our rivals, well, yes, then I feel pretty negatively about them >:( But for me, this doesn't extend to despising every Man U supporter, everywhere and at every time. They are footie supporters, after all :o

Btw, I reckon my family would be amazed at this post ....I am known to everyone as an LFC nut :D
  • Options
    wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    I don't reciprocally want Utd to disappear down a plughole into football oblivion.
    I agree, mid table in the Championship would do me. :)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You just know things are great over the road at Goodison when one of their strikers signs for Hull :o:D - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-hull-agree-fee-everton-jelavic-200953647--sow.html
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Crikey. Means Kenwright will have to put his hand in his pocket once Lukaku returns to Chelsea. :o
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all a bit quiet, innit? We've a game to play and it's January but there's not much happening it seems. Actually I won't be at all surprised if we don't do any business this month. I don't want us to spend money just for the sake of it and if the right players aren't available then OK, but there are clearly areas we need to strengthen so not spending some money this month, especially if rivals do, could be a very risky strategy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will spend, but very, very quietly, until it's all done and dusted. So many times we have been gazzumped - it's like certain other teams are waiting to see who we are going for before spoiling the party. Time to give them nothing - or a complete doughnut!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everton take the lead, puts us out of the top 4, its another must win tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down to 6th now, Spurs winning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utd breathing down our necks now, beating Swansea 2-0.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    A triple dose of melancholy from you there, Grouty. Bet you're excited for tomorrow! :D
  • Options
    LONERIDER37LONERIDER37 Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

That'll please some on this thread :D
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

That comment's only worthy of a second glance IF we drop points tomorrow.

Even then, United travel to Stamford Bridge next week and nothing I saw this evening made me doubt Chelsea would win that game.

United will continue to beat the teams in the bottom half but, unless they get very active in the transfer market, will generally continue to struggle against teams in the upper reaches of the league.

We look a little more likely to pick up points against the better sides judging on the season so far, so I'm not feeling United's breath on my neck just yet.

That being said, we need to keep winning games like at Stoke tomorrow and Villa at home next week to keep them safely at arms length.

Just in case :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    A triple dose of melancholy from you there, Grouty. Bet you're excited for tomorrow! :D

Yup, expecting us to beat Stoke tomorrow, and taking 4th back, also hopefully seeing the SAS back together as well :D
This discussion has been closed.