Options

Spanish football thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
Forum Member
Granada are beating Barca with 10 mins to go.:o

Real play Almeria later tonight.

Is the title going to go to Athletico this year?

Comments

• Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be interesting on the last day if Barca cant win and Athletico need to win at the nou camp to stop Real winning it.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A team with Messi, Neymar, Fabregas, Iniesta and the likes just didn't look up for it tonight. They seem to be missing Guidiola.

Although seeing Messi & Neymar stood over the free kick at the end remined me of Fifa 14 on the PS4. A dream team pairing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Barca would sacrifice the game to stop Real from winning.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barca would sacrifice the game to stop Real from winning.

It wouldn't surprise me, but i don't think they would do it.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barca not going out and buying good centre-backs is one of the biggest football mysteries in recent years.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is most definately Atletico's to lose now, plus they have the advantage of the tie-breaker over Real, in so much as Real have to get more points to win the league than Atletico, as if they are level on points, then Real cannot win win the league simple as that.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Shock result, i really hope Athletico win it and it would be a great achievement for Diego Simeone imagine if they won the La Liga/Champions League double would be an awesome achievement, obviously a long way of yet and they could win nothing but it is not impossible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Shock result, i really hope Athletico win it and it would be a great achievement for Diego Simeone imagine if they won the La Liga/Champions League double would be an awesome achievement, obviously a long way of yet and they could win nothing but it is not impossible.

I said to my friend back in December, that I thought that Atletico would win the double of La Liga, and the Champions League, and remarkably they are right on the cusp of doing so, it would be a huge achievement to win the league title, something that they have not done since 1997 I think it was.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind seeing Atletico do it. People thought they'd be showing signs of tiredness by now but they just keep going! Watching just how hard they all work for each other is brilliant. Initially it looked like Barca had the league sewn up, but they've let it slip in recent months. Then it looked as if Real would win it, but they lost the El Clasico game and the one straight after it to Sevilla which put Atletico in the driving seat.

Real have the easiest run-in for sure, but like Bats says, they need Atletico to drop at least 4 points and they've probably only got 2 toughies left - Valencia away, and Barca away on the last day of the season. It's still all to play for but would Barca want to beat Atletico if it meant Real winning the title?

Watching Real now against Almeria and Di Maria has just made it 1-0. He's been in great form recently. Looks like it was a masterstroke by Ancelotti to move him into a more central midfield role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot remember, if the league was sown up before the last game of the season (which could very well happen), would Barca give a guard of honour to Atletico?

I hope that they would do this, as it would be a sign of respect between the two clubs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A comprehensive 4-0 win for Real Madrid in the end. Isco, Bale and Morata added 2nd half goals to join Di Maria on the scoresheet.

Atletico travel to Getafe tomorrow with Costa back in the squad. That's bound to be a lift for them.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atletico have still got Valencia, Levante and Barcelona all away. The Valencia game is inbetween the Chelsea matches, so they've still got a lot to do.

Barca and Real have easier fixture lists so I suspect Atletico have little room for error here. Hopefully they can win tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    A comprehensive 4-0 win for Real Madrid in the end. Isco, Bale and Morata added 2nd half goals to join Di Maria on the scoresheet.

Atletico travel to Getafe tomorrow with Costa back in the squad. That's bound to be a lift for them.

I know it wasn't, but watching that Real match, it just seemed to be feel like a gloryfied friendly, a sort of tune up match, as scoring multiple goals will not help Real to win the league, as goal difference mean diddly squat, so once they went 1-0 up, there was not any real meaning to the match I felt.
    The points were in the bag, and it was just all about playing for the sake of playing then.

Still 3 points is nothing to be sniffed at, and it could help them to still win the league title, but it would require their city rivals to have some very uncharacteristic form, from here on in.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still 3 points is nothing to be sniffed at, and it could help them to still win the league title, but it would require their city rivals to have some very uncharacteristic form, from here on in.

I would be surprised if Real Madrid didn't win all their remaining games. If Atletico drop points against any of those teams I mentioned above, it would mean a defeat on the last day away to Barca at the Nou Camp would hand Real the title under those circumstances. I think there is every chance of that.

The bookies have Real Madrid slight favourites, I think that's right.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barca not going out and buying good centre-backs is one of the biggest football mysteries in recent years.

They (Guardiola's pick..) did buy Chygrynskiy back in 2009 for about £21milion and it really didn't work out. Since then, they haven't even attempted to rectify the evident problem of relying on Puyol, Marquez and Pique.

It's quite strange that Mascherano is played at the back: 1) He isn't a Centre Back 2) Is a liability in that position. Especially when they could purchase any centre back they want.

And now with the transfer ban, they truly will pay for not sorting themselves out defensively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barca's lack of defensive purchasing, is almost as baffeling, as out own desire to not buy a central midfielder!

They are in big trouble if (and it is still a big if) this transfer ban remains in place, as they really do need to sort that area of the pitch out ASAP, as unlike ourselves with Scholes, I don't think Puyol is for turning, I think that he will leave no matter what, as his body just cannot cope with Barca's schedule, or their intensity of play anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Diego Costa's just had a pretty horrific collision with the post in the Getafe - Atletico game. Looks like a broken leg. :(

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhWnmIydMM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I watched that as it happened, and it did not look nice one bit!

I hope that it is not anything too bad, as it would be a shame if he were to miss the World Cup, and Atletico's end of sesaon runin, after just coming back from another injury.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I watched that as it happened, and it did not look nice one bit!

I hope that it is not anything too bad, as it would be a shame if he were to miss the World Cup, and Atletico's end of sesaon run in, after just coming back from another injury.
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 points clear and a better H2H for Atletico over Real. They have a bit of room for error but not much. They don't want to be going away to Barca on the last day of the season needing something, regardless of how poor Barca are at the moment.

Apparently Costa does not have a break or fracture just a nasty bump/cut. But they've proved several times this season they can play without him. Their away trip to Valencia will be tough but Valencia themselves will be sandwiched in Europa league tie.

Fascinating I really hope Atletico do it. I've followed them all season. The midweek matches the other week where Real lost away to Sevilla and Atletico won their match was great drama and possibly the pivotal moment in the race for La Liga.

Atletico were 480/1 at the start of the season :o

I think winning the league will be a greater achievement than winning the Champions League, given the Barca/Real dominance.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Costa missed a penalty, & maybe this is why as check the cheeky fan behind the goal. :o:D https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlH0RirCAAAujfZ.jpg
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I would love to see Atletico win the league and I really think they might do it.

Poor Barcelona have to play 2 games in 2 days!! Second leg of the Copa del Ray final which they will not want to lose and then a La Liga game the next day!!

I don't understand why the final has two legs, seems a bit silly to me. I also don't like the want league positions are decided on head to head results rather than goal difference, screwed me over on football manager lol.
  • Options
    Harry BoatHarry Boat Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    The final is one game, at the Mestalla.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League and La Liga turning out to be the most competitive in recent years.

Bundesliga turning out to be a one trick pony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier League and La Liga turning out to be the most competitive in recent years.

Bundesliga turning out to be a one trick pony.

I was watching BT's European Football Show, and they showed the Belgium Playoff System, does anyone have any idea how that works??:o:o

As you could add that to your list of comeptititve leagues, if I could understand it that is! :blush::blush: