Options

Anyone remember Soapstars? Should it be done again??

2»

Comments

• Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    This was just after Popstars, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb9sKttbm1Q

I do remember watching their debut and thinking the kids were dreadful and mum showed most potential.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Bleaney wrote: »
    Who here remembers the ITV reality show SoapStars??? Billed as an acting version of PopStars, The show gave a chance for members of the public to win a part in Emmerdale. At the end of the show, and entire new family was cast in the soap and appeared for a year.

Does anyone think this show should happen again?? I dont (and didnt) watch Emmerdale, so I dont know what the 'Soapstars family' were like, but I really enjoyed the reality show that found them.

Anyone agree?

The family were pretty awful.

I'm not sure if that was down to them just being poorly conceived and written characters but Iu don't think having 'novices' playing them helped.

It felt like a publicity gimmick from start to finish and everybody was just waiting for them to fail.

So no, I wouldn't want a repeat of the experiment.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I think it's something that could work for the likes of Hollyoaks or Doctors but I think the Beeb and ITV would be reluctant to sign them up for their flagship soaps after last time.

And regardless of the behind the scenes reasons why it didn't work, as far as we know, the actors flopped.

Hollyoaks have done it a few times with their "On the Pull" projects - only the process wasn't televised.

Most of the actors cast that way for HO have actually worked (Elize du Toit as Izzy is one prominent example) but they possibly have an advantage in it being a younger cast so not as much resentment about not having 'worked your way up' as there was (allegedly) in Emmerdale. They were also individual characters rather than a family which are always easier to integrate into the show more naturally.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mystery23 wrote: »
    the mum was actually a pretty good actress.

She was a good actress and she had the most amount of airtime of all five of them. I found a showreel of some of her Emmerdale moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvIkPYgIDSI