Options

DVD Recorders.....???

Hiya, I bought a DVD recorder a while back and it is starting to play up a bit....I went to find out how much a replacement would be and I can't seem to find anything like a standard DVD Recorder, now they all have HDD's and extra bits....does what I am looking for still exist?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Lots on eBay, for instance item 270570689581, I bought one of these and it's fine, at that sort of price with guarantee you can't really go wrong
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping for something in a store.....
  • Options
    rolypolyman1rolypolyman1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    wit tank wrote: »
    Hiya, I bought a DVD recorder a while back and it is starting to play up a bit....I went to find out how much a replacement would be and I can't seem to find anything like a standard DVD Recorder, now they all have HDD's and extra bits....does what I am looking for still exist?

HDD recorders dominate the market because recording direct to dvd is fairly pointless and a bit hit and miss depending on what formats you use.

HDD recorders are far easier to use and make it simple to record at maximum quality for dozens or hundreds of hours without worrying if you have a disc in the recorder.

DVD only recorders are a step backward compared to VHS with the exception that dvd is better quality.

Get a HDD one , you can edit at your leisure then burn the programme to dvd at high speed if you want to keep it
  • Options
    TuvokTuvok Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a quick look on Argos website (other companies are available :D) - they have 2 starting at £130

For £140 you get one with a hard disk.

Occasionally you see them advertised inthe back of the TV TImes - but these cost more than getting from Argos, Comet etc.

My first one was just a dvd recorder, video recorder combined.

I now have a one that records to video, dvd and hard disk.

The benefit of a hard disk is that you can edit the recording ie. cut out the adverts, and then copy it to dvd at high speed. You can also copy from the dvd to hard disk at high speed. Copying to/from video is done in real time!

PS. The reason I'm onto my second is that the first is fussy what brand of dvd it likes - and also I have to now finalise the disk before I remove it or power off - other wise I loose the recording. I have relegated that video for use with the computer!